Who is Turles?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Who is Turles?

Post by Banana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:12 am

I honestly hate to be that idiot to have to ask, but I keep getting so many conflicting answers and the more I research this, the more confused I get.

So who is Turles? I understand he's a "low class saiyan like Kakarot" but that isn't good enough for me- he seems to have a striking resemblance to Goku of course, especially the hair. And the voice, and the everything, lol.

Some say Turles is Goku's uncle, others say he's just a dark Goku, and some say they are brothers which sounds like it's incorrect.

I've yet to see the movie with him, but I know him from playing the Xenoverse games. When it comes to backstory for him though, don't worry about spoilers, I don't really care lol. Just curious :) Hoping someone here can set me straight. I want to know if he's related to Goku and how he is if he is.
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Who is Turles?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:32 am

Low class Saiyans tend to look similar so that sums up the resemblance in a nutshell. However, if you wanted to argue it then you could say that Goku & Turles are very distant relatives due to the Saiyans having a relatively small population for an entire race, they could be distant cousins or a distant uncle & nephew because of it. Its doubtful they're brothers though due to Turles needing to be either a child of Bardock or a child of Gine from another Saiyan father for that to be possible, no such connection was ever made in Bardock's specials or DB Minus.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:38 am

He's not related to Goku whatsoever, despite the odd similarities.

Xenoverse 2 gives us a brief backstory on him, but I'm unsure if this is actually canon or merely made up by the devs/writers. [spoiler]According to the game he was initially part of the Saiyan Army under Freeza, but then he went rogue and formed his own group -- the Turles Crusher Corps.[/spoiler]

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:14 am

Firebolt wrote:He's not related to Goku whatsoever, despite the odd similarities.

Xenoverse 2 gives us a brief backstory on him, but I'm unsure if this is actually canon or merely made up by the devs/writers. [spoiler]According to the game he was initially part of the Saiyan Army under Freeza, but then he went rogue and formed his own group -- the Turles Crusher Corps.[/spoiler]
Not actually, this has been known for years.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:26 am

YonedgeHP wrote:
Firebolt wrote:He's not related to Goku whatsoever, despite the odd similarities.

Not actually, this has been known for years.
Sorry, my mistake then.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 am

theherodjl wrote:Low class Saiyans tend to look similar so that sums up the resemblance in a nutshell. However, if you wanted to argue it then you could say that Goku & Turles are very distant relatives due to the Saiyans having a relatively small population for an entire race, they could be distant cousins or a distant uncle & nephew because of it. Its doubtful they're brothers though due to Turles needing to be either a child of Bardock or a child of Gine from another Saiyan father for that to be possible, no such connection was ever made in Bardock's specials or DB Minus.
Okay, that makes sense, thank you! I thought it would be impossible for them to be brothers given the timing and I actually just watched the Bardock TV special a few minutes ago for the first time. The timeline from when Kakkarot is born to when he's sent to Earth is too small, especially also how short the timing was between him coming back to Planet Vegeta and then making the stupid decision to fight Frieza while critically injured. It was still badass when Bardock had blasted his way through Frieza's men though! Plus, I'm left wondering how Bardock felt about Raditz, and oh man I've derailed myself and turned this into a straight up Saiyan thread lol

Apparently the appearance seems to be more common than I thought. With Goten's hair and the splitting image of Goku and Bardock looking just like them, it's mind blowing how such "low class warriors" could amount to so much... though honestly also the uncle idea for Turles just feels plain weird given how young Turles and Kakkarot seem. Then again, like I'm one to talk because I became an aunt a week before I turned 16, so there's that.

Krillin

Who is Turles?

Post by Krillin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 am

Turles is Goku's evil counterpart and in the german dub is actually Goku's uncle
He is not his twin brother and instead is said to be the twin brother of Bardock (Goku's dad)
Krillin

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am

Anyway, Tullece (his name comes from "Lettuce," and "Turles" misses the point) isn't said to be related to Goku at all in the original proper dialogue. He's simply another low-class Saiyan, and he points out in the movie that a lot of those tended to look similar. So he's just another low-class Saiyan who happens to look like Goku, but of course thematically he embodies a "what if Goku was evil" concept way before Goku Black was ever a thing.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Turles was the first "what if Goku was evil" character. Unlike Black, Turles could best be summed up as what if Goku stayed Kakarot.

As for why he looks like Goku, the easiest way to explain it is that it just one of those rare cases of completely unrelated people looking almost identical.

Even then there are still minor differences, his grey-ish skin color (pretty unique to him) and his slightly different hair. Turles says they are low class saiyans and thats why they look alike, which could imply low genetic diversity among the U7 saiyan's lower classes but is a very vague statement that explains little and rises more questions.

What we can say for shore is that any statments about him being related to Goku is wrong and are always the result of dub changes or people simple making stuff up. Their not brothers, he's not Goku uncle, he's not Goku's cousin twice removed, he's not Goku's clone, he's not even Goku's father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Lord Frieza wrote: Their not brothers, he's not Goku uncle, he's not Goku's cousin twice removed, he's not Goku's clone, he's not even Goku's father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.
You had me rolling hahaha! Also, Kaboom, do you have the ability to merge the topic with mine which this was in response to? Thanks!

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:57 pm

I guess if they're related at all, it'd only be because some ancestral Saiyan with the "Goku Haircut Gene" had a looooot of kids. And then they had kids, and they had kids, and they had kids, etc... until a significant portion of the low-class Saiyan population ends up born with a Goku haircut.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Surprised no one has said this yet, but the whole "Tullece is Goku's brother" thing comes from the AB Groupe dub (aka Big Green dub). It is completely incorrect

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:17 pm

One_Instance wrote:Surprised no one has said this yet, but the whole "Tullece is Goku's brother" thing comes from the AB Groupe dub (aka Big Green dub). It is completely incorrect
Oh I'm more then well aware, for a long time that was the only dub of the movies we could get over here in the UK. Always remember that they actually promoted that version of Lord Slug on TV. Boy, even as a kid I felt betrayed by this dub. It's so terrible I refused to watch it again until I got the funi one.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
One_Instance wrote:Surprised no one has said this yet, but the whole "Tullece is Goku's brother" thing comes from the AB Groupe dub (aka Big Green dub). It is completely incorrect
Oh I'm more then well aware, for a long time that was the only dub of the movies we could get over here in the UK. Always remember that they actually promoted that version of Lord Slug on TV. Boy, even as a kid I felt betrayed by this dub. It's so terrible I refused to watch it again until I got the funi one.
Woah, that's crazy! Didn't realize it was that bad. Can't be as bad as the Speedy Dub stuff I saw though from Malaysia... that is a steaming hot turd sandwich right there but at least it's so terrifyingly horrible it's funny. Kinda wish the dub writers would fact check- it would eliminate confusion! Lol

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 pm

I hear the Polish dub of movie 3 actually calls him Raditz.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I hear the Polish dub of movie 3 actually calls him Raditz.
Now that's hilaribad haha! I wonder if a clip of that exists somewhere?

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Goku Black in disguise.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

As far as we know, unrelated,

though, Toriyama has stated Bardock has several siblings he never met, which leaves a remote chance he might be retconned into being a distant relative through that, but its not likely

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon May 21, 2018 2:39 pm

My headcanon is that Tullece is a chance doppelganger of Bardock/Goku and that he is actually much older than Goku. If anything, he's probably around Bardock's age if he was working in the Saiyan Army.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon May 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Turlece is someone who looks like Son Gokou. It would be nice if he were a twin brother or brother of Barduck since Toriyama said he could have siblings but Barduck doesn’t care enough for them.