Does Chi-Chi have a job?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Does Chi-Chi have a job?

Post by Asura » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 am

Or is she just a NEET stay at home mom? Can they really live off the prize money alone?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does Chi-Chi have a job?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 am

ESPECIALLY since DB established that Goku can eat the entire Budokai Tenkaichi prize money in one sitting.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 am

At the start of the Buu arc, when Gohan mentions the prize money for the Tenkaichi Budokai, she mentions that she was living off her father's money and that it was starting to run out.
I'm guessing by the time DBS rolled around, they were making their living off Goku's farming.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 am

Asura wrote:Or is she just a NEET stay at home mom? Can they really live off the prize money alone?
"NEET" is generally used as a pejorative / has a negative connotation to it.

Chi-Chi is a homemaker, and considering the family she has to put up with, I'd say that more than qualifies as a perfectly fine, acceptable, praise-worthy job. Even independent of her family members themselves, that's still a "real" "job".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am

Nia wrote:At the start of the Buu arc, when Gohan mentions the prize money for the Tenkaichi Budokai, she mentions that she was living off her father's money and that it was starting to run out.
I'm guessing by the time DBS rolled around, they were making their living off Goku's farming.
I wonder why doesn't Gohan send money to his parents to help them out? I have seen many people do that for their parents.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 am

ChiChi got 100 million zeni at the start of super and Goku makes bank from farming, they don’t have money issues, she’s just a uptight killjoy who wants Goku and Goten to cater to her whims

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Just a stay at home mom who nags Goku to work, even though he already has a job selling his produce from his farm.

...A mom who also bums money from her dad for over 15+ years *cough*
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Asura wrote:Or is she just a NEET stay at home mom? Can they really live off the prize money alone?
She's also royalty, so she's rich enough to not have to work

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 pm

She has the hardest job of all: trying to make sure her family are prim and proper folk that are respectable by society's standards.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 am

No, Chi-Chi does not have a job. That's the reality of the situation.

As stated earlier, they live off of Gyuumao's riches. The family does not have to work to make a living.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 am

She does pretty much all the unglamorous 'adult' stuff (child-rearing, homemaking, cooking, etc.). Why would you accuse her of being lazy?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:10 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:She does pretty much all the unglamorous 'adult' stuff (child-rearing, homemaking, cooking, etc.). Why would you accuse her of being lazy?
Like I said above, she has the hardest job of all.

Goku being, well, GOKU doesn't help.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 pm

As others have stated, she has a pretty big job of simply being a homemaker but I have to admit, I have sometimes wondered why she didn't get a job herself, if she was so worried about money all the time. I suppose it may be that she is very traditional and I know it used to be (I don't know if it still is) that in Japan, women would retire from their jobs once they had a child. While Dragonball doesn't take place in Japan, the creator is from Japan so several of those ideals can leak into characters. Having said that though, I always thought ChiChi could probably make good money being a cook. All the characters seem to enjoy her cooking and being used to cooking for Saiyans, she would likely rule in a kitchen.

I would think that Goku's farm could bring in pretty good money too, given how much land he has. Selling those giant fish they are always catching could bring in some good revenue too!
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 am

I’m not surprised she doesn’t have time to work considering that she has always had to cook for at least 2 Saiyans, which must not be an easy task if we consider she also has to wash dishes, and go to buy the food in the first place. She also has to clean the house, take care of the garden and wash the clothes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 am

Yes, making the fanbase roll their eyes anytime she's on screen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.