Who won Goku and Piccolo's first fight?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Who won Goku and Piccolo's first fight?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:39 pm

I've been thinking about this. We all know that, technically, Goku won the tournament by knocking Piccolo out of bounds (which somehow still existed even though Piccolo's shockwave attack had reduced the island they were standing on to featureless wasteland). But ignoring that- wouldn't Piccolo have been considered the winner if there was no outside intervention? By the end of the fight, both combatants were out of energy, beaten up, and could barely move. But only Goku had a giant bleeding hole in his chest. If Yaj and Kami didn't intervene, wouldn't Goku bleed to death a minute later while Piccolo could still survive?
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Who won Goku and Piccolo's first fight?

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I've been thinking about this. We all know that, technically, Goku won the tournament by knocking Piccolo out of bounds (which somehow still existed even though Piccolo's shockwave attack had reduced the small continent they were standing on to featureless wasteland). But ignoring that- wouldn't Piccolo have been considered the winner if there was no outside intervention? By the end of the fight, both combatants were out of energy, beaten up, and could barely move. But only Goku had a giant bleeding hole in his chest. If Yaj and Kami didn't intervene, wouldn't Goku bleed to death a minute later while Piccolo could still survive?
I think Goku would still be considered the winner if you think about how he managed to defeat Piccolo whilst still abiding by the rules of the Tournament, while Piccolo was under no such obligation and simply happened to also do it until the very end. That's pretty impressive in my books!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Piccolo did, because technically their first fight was Kid Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao, and Goku lost that one completely.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Piccolo did, because technically their first fight was Kid Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao, and Goku lost that one completely.
Different person, same soul.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 pm

I think Goku won. He was trying to eliminate him from the tournament while Piccolo is trying to eliminate him from the Earth, and he STILL managed to defeat him in the fight with the tournament rules to boot.

I mean, yeah, if we count him bleeding to death as a part of it then it'd be a bit different but that's after the fight. If Goku didn't get outside help afterwards then he'd be dead while Piccolo would be just unconscious.

Won the battle, lost the war?
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed May 02, 2018 12:56 am

I still think it's Goku's win. Kami may have intervened, but Goku himself didn't ask him to, so technically he shouldn't be disqualified because of that. I don't know how strict the rules would have been had the match gone on like any other, but I seem to remember Goku being forgiven one time before because he didn't understand the rules.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 am

Michsi wrote:I don't know how strict the rules would have been had the match gone on like any other, but I seem to remember Goku being forgiven one time before because he didn't understand the rules.
You're likely thinking of when Goku used the Nimbus to prevent a ring-out when facing off against Giran. He assumed it was allowed given Giran's flight, but since it was an external tool (and the gum was produced in Giran's body), Goku was caught out by the rule.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed May 02, 2018 4:42 am

KBABZ wrote:
Michsi wrote:I don't know how strict the rules would have been had the match gone on like any other, but I seem to remember Goku being forgiven one time before because he didn't understand the rules.
You're likely thinking of when Goku used the Nimbus to prevent a ring-out when facing off against Giran. He assumed it was allowed given Giran's flight, but since it was an external tool (and the gum was produced in Giran's body), Goku was caught out by the rule.
Yup, that one. I think the thing with Kami is a bit worse as far as breaking the rules goes, and in some sports it doesn't matter whether you had anything to do with the foul play or not, it's about the other party suffering a loss unjustly, but we all know the rules are malleable.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 02, 2018 6:59 am

Michsi wrote:I think the thing with Kami is a bit worse as far as breaking the rules goes, and in some sports it doesn't matter whether you had anything to do with the foul play or not, it's about the other party suffering a loss unjustly, but we all know the rules are malleable.
Goku took action himself there and let Piccolo take a clean hit at him to make the fight fair. Honestly, at that point in the fight the Announcer was more commentator and wasn't really in a position to enforce nit-picky rules such as that one.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Michsi wrote:I think the thing with Kami is a bit worse as far as breaking the rules goes, and in some sports it doesn't matter whether you had anything to do with the foul play or not, it's about the other party suffering a loss unjustly, but we all know the rules are malleable.
Goku took action himself there and let Piccolo take a clean hit at him to make the fight fair. Honestly, at that point in the fight the Announcer was more commentator and wasn't really in a position to enforce nit-picky rules such as that one.
That was more because of Goku's sense of fair play than anything, I doubt anyone but him still cared about the tournament at that point. (though in my headcanon I believe Piccolo was also still secretly playing along to the tournament rules because it can't be an accident that he didn't step out of bounds the entire time, even as a giant :lol: )

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 02, 2018 8:51 am

Michsi wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
That was more because of Goku's sense of fair play than anything, I doubt anyone but him still cared about the tournament at that point. (though in my headcanon I believe Piccolo was also still secretly playing along to the tournament rules because it can't be an accident that he didn't step out of bounds the entire time, even as a giant :lol: )
I like to think the Piccolo does so to mostly to prove his superiority to Goku.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed May 02, 2018 11:56 am

So what you are saying is that if Goku was not healed by outsiders,he would have won the match by tournament rules(since killing the would be against the rules)but lost the battle since Piccolo would kill him?
Never thought it like this before but now that you mention it that sounds correct.

If anything its the same case as Gohan vs Lavender where both were unable to move but Gohan was dying due to the poison but per tournament rule was a draw.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Whatever wrote:So what you are saying is that if Goku was not healed by outsiders,he would have won the match by tournament rules(since killing the would be against the rules)but lost the battle since Piccolo would kill him?
When was Goku healed up again? I don't recall that.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Whatever wrote:So what you are saying is that if Goku was not healed by outsiders,he would have won the match by tournament rules(since killing the would be against the rules)but lost the battle since Piccolo would kill him?
After he headbutted Piccolo when he ringed him out,Piccolo was uncoscious while Goku was face down on the floor bleeding.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Whatever wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
After he headbutted Piccolo when he ringed him out,Piccolo was uncoscious while Goku was face down on the floor bleeding.
Okay, but that was after the match was officially declared over.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Yajirobe gave him a senzu after the battle.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yajirobe gave him a senzu after the battle.
KBABZ wrote:Okay, but that was after the match was officially declared over.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 pm

If Goku didn't have to worry about the tournament rules, he still would've won.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:18 pm

That isn't what this thread is about.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
That isn't what this thread is about.
Okay, but how many times have we had a combatant down and out only to be restored by a Senzu Bean given to them by Krillin or somebody else? Gohan would have almost certainly died by Recoome's kick, and Cell would have lost a LOT quicker had Goku not given him the Senzu Bean.