What are your thoughts on Super Saiyan 3?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What are your thoughts on Super Saiyan 3?

Post by Asura » Fri May 04, 2018 3:34 am

Love it? Hate it? I've always liked it but felt it overshadowed Super Saiyan too much, now the rarity of it also makes it more appealing to me. I just wish a Saiyan would show mastery of it so they can use it without stamina drain.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What are your thoughts on Super Saiyan 3?

Post by Banana » Fri May 04, 2018 4:48 am

SSJ3 wasn't as marvelous in my eyes as it was supposed to be. It simply seemed more like a natural progression in the SSJ line which is understandable and made sense, though it was rather disappointing as it affected the time Goku had on Earth.

I liked how they introduced ssj4 in GT having base in the oozaru form and ssj God requiring the help of Goku's saiyan offspring and friends to achieve. That made it interesting.

What I find hilarious in terms of ease and mastery is that when I was learning with Banana my saiyan character in Xenoverse 2 how to reach SSJ for the first time, she went right from 1 to then 3 after maxing ki and 2 wasn't really a thing unless I didn't have enough ki, and therefore hardly ever gets used. The game made it seem tons easier to reach SSJ3 as it was available almost immediately though getting to the point in the reveal in the actual manga and anime took a long time and we don't see it until the buu arc.

I feel like that's more of a pacing issue with the game and I know that is not in the canon timeline at all. Still though, would be interesting to see it more in Super at least. I don't recall seeing it in super at all yet and I'm at the universe 6 and 7 fights.
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 04, 2018 7:28 am

Super Saiyan 3 I think is cool, and Toriyama did it a lot to make it unique in the face of the "Super Saiyan but More" approach with SS2. The long hair and accentuated brows are obvious, but I also like that it actually has an abject trade-off in the consumption of energy. It's the classic foiling of expectations and almost re-emphasizes Goku's opinion in the Cell Saga that SS1 is the optimum form for most situations.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 04, 2018 9:10 am

Don't like it aesthetically, and I greatly resent how it was implemented into the story.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri May 04, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 04, 2018 9:13 am

Terrible transformation in every aspect. Did we really need it at the end of the day? I don't think so. As I follow the "the less is more" phylosophy, Super Saiyan 3 is ugly; hair exaggeratedly long with no eyebrows, ugh.

It is also part of the long list of transformations that shouldn't have been created.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 04, 2018 11:18 am

I personally think it looks better on kids, i mean Gotenks and GT Goku.

It's a great but wasted form. It didn't really achieve anything except killing Hirudegarn in a movie with a move that base GT Goku beated far more powerful Super 17 anyway.

This form sadly has no more reason to exist when you can go SSJ4 for example. It just uses too much energy.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Fri May 04, 2018 12:34 pm

I wish Toei did more with SS3. They used SS2 a lot, which was great! However, SS3 never got it's shine in the spotlight. It would have been great to see a twist story of Goku actually mastering that transformation without the drawback of losing a lot of stamina. SS3 is likely the most hyped transformation prior to SSBlue and UI, and I would have liked if Toriyama did more with it. Oh well, SS3 will always be a Z transformation worth-to-watch only.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 pm

I like it a lot. The entire point of Super Saiyan 3 is that it's so "over the top." It generates a crazy, counter-productive amount of power, and in turn has an outrageous wild-looking appearance to go with it. The form's design makes sense for what it is and how it works.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat May 05, 2018 12:14 pm

My favourite form design wise but the worst form in how it was inserted into the story,it was an asspull and retcon.
On top of that it was not even needed in the plot anyways.