Did Goku & Piccolo Ever Qualify For The 'Rival Boost' Properties Behind The Potara?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Did Goku & Piccolo Ever Qualify For The 'Rival Boost' Properties Behind The Potara?

Post by theherodjl » Sun May 06, 2018 3:23 am

In an alternate reality of the main universe up until the arrival of Raditz, the Potara ended up being given to Goku & Piccolo and they were instructed to put them on thus creating for the first time ever, a "Goccolo" or "Piku" fusion. Would Goku & Piccolo have counted as being such rivals that the fusion would be more complete? Would it not have as great an effect on them as it did with Goku & Vegeta? Or would it simply not work?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Re: Did Goku & Piccolo Ever Qualify For The 'Rival Boost' Properties Behind The Potara?

Post by Analytic » Sun May 06, 2018 12:42 pm

I don't really believe that being rivals makes a stronger Fusion; that'd mean that Vegetto would receive a greater increase from Fusion than two people as strong as Goku and Vegeta fusing because of Goku and Vegeta's feelings, which is just odd. I think Old Kaioshin's statement simply means that Goku and Vegeta's rivalry push each other to become stronger, which makes sense since you need strong components to make a strong Fusion.

I do think other properties are taken into account other than power, though, like physiology for example. So I would say Vegetto would be stronger than a Goku/Piccolo Fusion since the former is two Saiyans fusing and the latter is a mix.
Last edited by Analytic on Sun May 06, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Did Goku & Piccolo Ever Qualify For The 'Rival Boost' Properties Behind The Potara?

Post by Cetra » Sun May 06, 2018 12:45 pm

I think it is more of a "he becomes perfect because of a balance being achieved" thing. Like Goku has the opposite flaw of Vegeta according to Whis in Fukkatsu no F when hinting their obstacles for Migatte no Goku'i. Their fusion would perfectly compensate for that - which is also why I think only Vegetto and Gogeta should be able to achieve Migatte no Goku'i. But that's a tale for another day. Rivaling things or people can balance out each other.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue May 08, 2018 3:07 am

If Vegeta's 1 sided rivarly qualified for a 'Rival Boost' i don't see why it would not for Goku and Piccolo especially if you take their relationship from the Radditz era.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue May 08, 2018 2:57 pm

The "rivalry boost" was stated by Elder Kai who is the same idiot who didn't even know mortals don't have permanent fusion and has routinely proven to be barely above Shin in terms of intelligence

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed May 09, 2018 2:51 am

ToshioWrites wrote:The "rivalry boost" was stated by Elder Kai who is the same idiot who didn't even know mortals don't have permanent fusion and has routinely proven to be barely above Shin in terms of intelligence
There's got to be some kind of boost dependent on a conflicting relationship between the fusees such as rivalry. The first Potara fusion to occur on-panel(not including Rou Kaioshin's reminiscing of his own fusion) was Kibitoshin and comparatively, he was quite a weak fusion due to Kaioshin & Kibito merely being assigned partners. Meanwhile, we have Vegetto, who in base form alone, is more powerful than the strongest form of Majin Boo because Goku & Vegeta have a much more antagonistic and complex bond between one another than Kaioshin & Kibito have. Its actually staggering just how much more powerful Vegetto is over Kibitoshin. Prior to Goku's fight with Pure Boo, Kibitoshin actually leaves because he knows he isn't strong enough to even aid in a fight with one of Boo's lesser forms. Vegetto doesn't need to put too much effort in handling Boohan on the other hand.
While a rivalry boost may not be the absolute reason as to why Goku & Vegeta make such a hax fusion, it certainly can be a reason.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon May 21, 2018 2:42 pm

After the whole ordeal with Super, my belief became that Vegetto was so ungodly strong because he utilized a godly fusion over a purely mortal one. It'd be interesting if there were three sorts of fusions— godly, mortal, and demonic, all with their own stat boosts.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.