Questions about hakai energy

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Questions about hakai energy

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 13, 2018 1:56 am

First of all, a minor one: Are the atom-like ki blasts Beerus used on Goku in episode 11 (called 'cataclysmic orbs' on the wiki) made of hakai energy? Beerus said that Goku couldn't deflect or crush them, so could that be why? You might ask why they didn't disintegrate Goku's Kamehameha then, but we have seen that enough ki from a continuous attack can overwhelm that type of blast, and each of those blasts were pretty small.

Secondly, and this is the big one: Where does hakai energy come from? I had assumed it was a power granted to someone upon becoming a Hakaishin, but then we saw Toppo using it when he was only a candidate Hakaishin. Is it something that anyone can learn if they're strong enough? If that is the case then how come Jiren never learned to use it? I know that Goku used the Hakai technique in the manga, but that also seems inconsistent with the events of the anime, such as Goku being helpless against Sidra's ball of hakai energy. Basically I'm just confused about how one goes about gaining this power, and what qualifications there are for being able to use it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Questions about hakai energy

Post by shadowfox87 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:06 pm

This is a good question. My theory has been that hakai energy is like "negative" energy. In that, negative energy cancels out positive energy. It's the energy of destruction literally. In real life, a positron and an electron annihilate each other, emitting photons as a result. This is what is used in PET scanners. In the anime, Toppo was not able to use hakai energy even though he has god ki. That is, until Toppo, had to throw away his "principles" of not killing and commit to being a Hakaishin. That is when, he was able to fully utilize hakai energy. Given that ki also is a reflection of one's character, I think that positive or negative ki is also based on that. A person who has mastered god ki control and does not have hesitation to kill, I believe can utilize hakai energy.

I don't think that simply anyone can learn it if they are strong enough. They have to have mastered god ki and also commit to destroying / killing. In the manga, we also saw that Goku was able to use hakai against Merged Zamasu, although very slowly. Sure that was inconsistent with the events of the anime, but the anime has always been inconsistent. That Sidra's ball of hakai energy never happened in the manga. The manga is consistent with itself while the anime is not. Jiren has his own principles of justice in that he does not kill, even the bad guys. He founded the Pride Troopers on these principles. He refused to be a Hakaishin and does not use god ki. Therefore, it makes sense that Jiren does not use hakai.

Also, with regards to SSBE Vegeta overcoming Toppo's hakai, I think it's just a matter of enough positive energy overcoming the negative hakai energy. The negative energy cancels or erases positive energy or matter. Vegeta hence, just used more positive energy with a greater quantity than Toppo.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 15, 2018 12:10 am

shadowfox87 wrote:This is a good question. My theory has been that hakai energy is like "negative" energy. In that, negative energy cancels out positive energy. It's the energy of destruction literally. In real life, a positron and an electron annihilate each other, emitting photons as a result. This is what is used in PET scanners. In the anime, Toppo was not able to use hakai energy even though he has god ki. That is, until Toppo, had to throw away his "principles" of not killing and commit to being a Hakaishin. That is when, he was able to fully utilize hakai energy. Given that ki also is a reflection of one's character, I think that positive or negative ki is also based on that. A person who has mastered god ki control and does not have hesitation to kill, I believe can utilize hakai energy.

I don't think that simply anyone can learn it if they are strong enough. They have to have mastered god ki and also commit to destroying / killing. In the manga, we also saw that Goku was able to use hakai against Merged Zamasu, although very slowly. Sure that was inconsistent with the events of the anime, but the anime has always been inconsistent. That Sidra's ball of hakai energy never happened in the manga. The manga is consistent with itself while the anime is not. Jiren has his own principles of justice in that he does not kill, even the bad guys. He founded the Pride Troopers on these principles. He refused to be a Hakaishin and does not use god ki. Therefore, it makes sense that Jiren does not use hakai.

Also, with regards to SSBE Vegeta overcoming Toppo's hakai, I think it's just a matter of enough positive energy overcoming the negative hakai energy. The negative energy cancels or erases positive energy or matter. Vegeta hence, just used more positive energy with a greater quantity than Toppo.
Jiren did try to kill the spectators though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:21 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Jiren did try to kill the spectators though.
Yea, that was his moment of weakness. I never thought of Jiren as a bad guy but rather a strong opponent. Still, Jiren does not use god ki. I believe that utilizing god ki and having the mental commitment to "destroy" or "hakai" is needed to utilize hakai energy in the same way Toppo did,
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707