Which would Goku pick : Fighting or Family ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Which would Goku pick : Fighting or Family ?

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm

He can't fight ever again, that ki disorder thing King Kai mentioned has ruined his body and he is unable to fight whether in a living body or dead body but he can spend the rest of his time out with his family. No dragonballs including SDB can fix this issue. Not even Zeno will fix this for him. OR his family is ERASED for good (permenantly nobody or nothing can change this) but goku can fight for the rest of his time.

So fighting but no chichi, gohan and goten or no fighting but chichi, gohan and goten get to stick around

Bullza
Banned

Re: Which would Goku pick : Fighting or Family ?

Post by Bullza » Tue May 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Definitely his family.

He might be obsessed with fighting and glad to leave them for years at a time to train but he'd never have his family erased just for that.

Neither would Vegeta.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm

I can't imagine Goku would choose fighting over family so long as he's still able to help train a new generation of fighters.
If the alienness of the Saiyan mindset were kept, then I would have said he'd choose fighting, but these days Saiyans are pretty obviously spiky-haired monkey-tailed humans who are just led by a government run by the Marines. And they aren't even that in U6.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue May 22, 2018 2:20 pm

As Goku has shown before,he can live whatever in the afterlife or on the world of the living without his family but thats not the case with fighting.

He would get sad about his family but he would get over it,without fighting he would be depressed.
Of course if he made the choice himself he would choose his family but assuming someobody else made the choice for in 2 different scenarios thats how it would play out.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm

If his family dies or gets hurt severely so he can enjoy himself fighting, then I'm sure he would sacrifice his passion for his family. But if it's just the case of priorities, then they lie with martial arts. You can see that in the last chapter of the manga.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't think Goku would accept fighting forever if it erased his family. The disease would probably leave him feeling melancholic but I think he'd just get over it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 pm

He'd choose his family for sure. But then again, he nonchalantly abandoned his family on a casual whim to fight and live with a child he barely knew...

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 am

I mean Goku's entire character revolves less around his family as the fact that he wants to fight strong guys. If he cared about his family's life being in jeopardy he never would have given Cell the Senzu Bean, he would have killed Fat Buu instead of irrationally putting the hopes on Gotenks, not used Instantaneous Movement to get to Freeza before Trunks conveniently showed up, he would have taken care of Gero before he could have made the androids, would have used SSJ3 against Vegeta so Buu couldn't be hatched, would have not encouraged Zeno to start a universal tournament, etc etc. All of these things reflect his decisions of wanting to have a good fight regardless of the consequences. He has always prioritized fighting over family. He's very selfish that is the character.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed May 23, 2018 1:52 am

Never mind family, which shouldn't be given special import, Goku wouldn't let anyone die in this scenario.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu May 24, 2018 7:06 pm

The thing with Goku is that he doesn't really understand the larger scale/picture of threats.

He only really gets it through his skull when he's faced by direct threats to himself and his friends, and often only when they directly threaten them personally.

He'd NEVER choose to harm innocents directly; doing so is contrary to his simplistic moral code.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri May 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Too bad the disorder is something created for the animated version of Super only and hasn’t been in the series during the arcs after the Sixth Universe Arc.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:21 pm

He'd be in serious conflict within himself choosing either him. His mind would say fighting due to his saiyan instinct while his heart says family.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Sat May 26, 2018 12:42 pm

DBS Goku might pick fighting, but any other Goku would choose family.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Analytic wrote:DBS Goku might pick fighting, but any other Goku would choose family.
That's a load of crock.

Goku's naive and doesn't see the big picture, but if he were to have to personally choose? It'd be a choice he'd have a hard time making. As he plainly puts it to 17 after the two of them handled the space poachers, he hates to see innocents be hurt.

Heck, when Goku Black sadistically tells him about how he stole his body and then killed his family with it afterwards, Goku went NUTS and started beating on Black and Future Zamasu like crazy; he even broke one of his unspoken rules of fighting and was going to finish Black off even though he was already down.

Goku can come off as uncaring and idiotic, but he DOES care; it's just that the threat has to be entirely direct and to his face to get him out of his Saiyan mindset.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat May 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Goku loves fighting, but he would NEVER do anything that would straight up erase his family from existence.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat May 26, 2018 11:43 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:Goku loves fighting, but he would NEVER do anything that would straight up erase his family from existence.
Yep.

I agree with everything PerhapsTheOtherOne has said. Goku is selfish and neglectful of his personal relationships, and I wouldn't blame Bulma or the other more 'normal' characters at all if they started to lose patience with him by the end of the series (between not seeing his friends for five years and ditching Chi-Chi at the 28th Budokai)... but he's not evil, and doing what amounts to straight-up murdering his entire family is a line I can't see him crossing.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun May 27, 2018 1:45 am

Goku would choose to save his family from oblivion any day. He might be unhappy losing almost all of his strength & transformations, but he'd live at least knowing he can still practice some martial arts in his severely weakened body, and that his family was safe. He might even like the challenge of being on par with the average Earthling, and trying to figure out some way to not be useless.
Now if it were the case of leaving his family, alive & healthy, Goku would happily head on out for the rest of his life/existence to train.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Goku already made this choice on the last chapter of the manga. And he chose fighting. That's what he lifes for. He would be really sad, but he'd get over it after a while.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 27, 2018 7:30 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Goku already made this choice on the last chapter of the manga. And he chose fighting. That's what he lifes for. He would be really sad, but he'd get over it after a while.
Problem: You've conveniently left out context and the way in which Goku's character has progressed.

In that scenario, everything was peaceful and his family was fine.

But in the OP's scenario? Goku literally has to choose whether to KILL HIS FAMILY DEADER THAN DEAD, or choose to fight; he's also making this decision at the behest of a malevolent force he can't directly fight against and is very much being forced to directly address this threat to the things he cares about.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Goku already made this choice on the last chapter of the manga. And he chose fighting. That's what he lifes for. He would be really sad, but he'd get over it after a while.
But his family were all alive and well and he could see them whenever. If it meant having them die forever and never see them again, it wouldnt be so clear cut.

He wouldnt put his selfishness over the permanent deaths of the people he loves.