Which would Goku pick : Fighting or Family ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Which would Goku pick : Fighting or Family ?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:08 pm

That's true. He even says on the last chapter that he will return to visit them sometimes when he's leaving with Oob. I still believe he would chose fighting though, given that's what he lives for, with his family being a side thing for him for most of the time.

Cell Games Goku would definitely chose his family though.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:57 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Goku already made this choice on the last chapter of the manga. And he chose fighting. That's what he lifes for. He would be really sad, but he'd get over it after a while.
Problem: You've conveniently left out context and the way in which Goku's character has progressed.

In that scenario, everything was peaceful and his family was fine.

But in the OP's scenario? Goku literally has to choose whether to KILL HIS FAMILY DEADER THAN DEAD, or choose to fight; he's also making this decision at the behest of a malevolent force he can't directly fight against and is very much being forced to directly address this threat to the things he cares about.

Seriously, this. Like all the people who keep going on about "Goku was always meant to be a sociopathic asshole," seem to forget the many moments in both DB/Z where "nah, son. He actually does give a shit."

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:02 am

I think his moments in the last two arcs of DBS really highlight what exactly Goku's character is about, at least in regards to the topic at hand.

Goku is a selfish individual who often lets his love for battle cloud his better judgment; it also often blinds him to the larger picture of the consequences his obsession has. But he also is very compassionate to life in general and will defend innocents with his life if he sees a direct threat to them or if they're made a complete mockery of by those who cannot see the value in life.

In a situation like the one the OP outlines, Goku would do his absolute darnedest to find a third option.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Analytic wrote:DBS Goku might pick fighting, but any other Goku would choose family.
I can't really say that's true. DBS Goku would pick family just like any other Goku.