Do all low class saiyans have Masako Nozawa's voice?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Do all low class saiyans have Masako Nozawa's voice?

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 am

An idea that's been in my head for awhile goes as follows. What if there's an in-universe reason the entire Son family all share Nozawa's voice? What if it's just a trait of being a low-class Saiyan?

The idea comes from Movie 3 when Tullece mentions that his likeness to Goku is a result of them both being low-class warriors and in my opinion despite the film being considered "non-canon" by most fans, this actually offers a solid explanation as to why Goku, Goten, Bardock, Goku Jr, Tullece and to an extent Gohan all look almost identical. But I've never seen anyone bring up the idea that maybe low-class Saiyans all share the same voice. Thoughts?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Do all low class saiyans have Masako Nozawa's voice?

Post by mute_proxy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:00 am

Have you heard any of the other saiyans? Or do you think everyone we saw were elites except for Bardock and Tullece?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri May 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Definitely not. Didn’t know Gohan, Goten, and Gokou Jr. were low-class Saiyans. Maybe they have Nozawa's voice because of an executive decision and probably will never be explained in-universe. They don’t even acknowledge they sound like each other

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Raditz is low-class.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri May 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Doctor. wrote:Raditz is low-class.
Right and doesn’t have Nozawa's voice

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:49 pm

But wasn't Raditz stated/implied to be more of an average level? Like you're standard run of the mill Saiyan, while Goku/low-classes was considered exceptionally weak?

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Lettuce, being a movie villain, has no real bearing on the anime series or manga. Even though I still see people appoint him as Goku's twin, Bardock's twin, Goku's cousin, etc.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 pm

It's a stretch to claim that because we've not met any other low-class Saiyans in the series, unless you include the expanded universe/non-canon stuff. And even then, very few of them were voiced.
The reason why the Son family is voiced by Mrs. Nozawa is more a family thing, a marker if you will. Tullece was voiced by Nozawa more to drive home the point of him being 'Evil Goku' rather than for any racial/class reasons.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue May 29, 2018 8:24 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
But wasn't Raditz stated/implied to be more of an average level? Like you're standard run of the mill Saiyan, while Goku/low-classes was considered exceptionally weak?
I mean...he's on the level of a Saibaman, which are literally mindless cannon fodder so if anything, Radtiz might be less than average.

Part of the reason Goku was exceptionally weak compared to the other Saiyans was because he grew up on a planet with a much less harsh environment. Planet Vegeta has the same gravity as Kaio's planet right? Or was that a dub line?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue May 29, 2018 8:36 pm

While technically being a filler characters (does it even matter here?), Bardock crew were all low-class warriors. They didn't have Nozawa's voice.

As said before, Nozawa voices all male characters that come from Goku and Turles was just "evil Goku", he was meant to look and sound like Goku.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 pm

I always saw this as much more of a studio decision, not so much an in-universe decision, or as it would be in the original manga. Especially with a character like Goku Jr., who is barely saiyan himself.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:24 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:
I mean...he's on the level of a Saibaman, which are literally mindless cannon fodder so if anything, Radtiz might be less than average.

Part of the reason Goku was exceptionally weak compared to the other Saiyans was because he grew up on a planet with a much less harsh environment. Planet Vegeta has the same gravity as Kaio's planet right? Or was that a dub line?
I could have sworn that Toriyama outright said that Raditz is actually very strong for a Saiyan. It just happens that he is weak in comparison to others— Bardock was unnaturally strong for a low-class Saiyan; Nappa and Vegeta are upper-class Saiyans; Son Goku, what more needs to be said?
He's called a low-class warrior more because that's his birth class. In a power-obsessed society like the Saiyans', it's better to think about these things like in comparison to wealth in ours— to myself, a lowly prole, everyone with a yearly salary of more than $100,000 is "wealthy". To a billionaire, you aren't wealthy until you at least make it to $100 million. To an emperor, a baronet is virtually dirt. But to a peasant, baronets are still princes.
Raditz is like a multimillionaire baronet, while Vegeta is the son of Jeff Bezos or the literal king of the world and Freeza is literally God.

We've gotten virtually no real good look into Saiyan society besides a few glimpses every now and again, and by the time we did start looking more into Saiyans, power scaling in the series got so ridiculous that it only follows narrative logic rather than any sort of consistent internal logic. It's like if we were aliens and we met only the richest and most powerful humans in a world where the Nazis won and used their statements and opinions to determine what Earth is like.
In 1991, if Raditz fought Freeza, there'd be absolutely no doubt that Freeza would no-sell every strike and annihilate Raditz and his atoms with a casual ki blast.
All Saiyans were inferior to Freeza's elite henchmen, save Vegeta (who himself was one of those henchmen). Vegeta's power level was about 18,000. Roughly that of Cui's. Nappa was also an elite Saiyan, and his power level was 4,000. A "mere" 4,000.

The saibamen were mooks in comparison to elite Saiyans and in retrospect to the Zetto Senshi. They couldn't do any real damage to Nappa or Vegeta, and they'd give Raditz a hard time though he was still stronger than any individual one. Sort of like Vegeta in comparison to Freeza's henchmen.

Back then, we knew that you needed a much higher power level to do various feats like become Super Saiyan or casually shake/destroy a planet.
Now, in 2018, power levels are meaningless. And the idea of Raditz being able to fight Freeza for at least a few minutes or even becoming a Super Saiyan makes sense because why not? It's like if we suddenly became a post-scarcity civilization and now even the poorest Dalit in India can own a gold mansion and have a harem of sexy fembots at his whim.

TLDR: power levels are bullshit now. Back when they weren't (mostly), Raditz wasn't considered impressive only according to the Saiyans we met, who were already terrifyingly strong.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.