Vegeta and Goku's name

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Maverick_Zero1987

Vegeta and Goku's name

Post by Maverick_Zero1987 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:46 pm

First of all, thanks for having me here! My name is Kameron.

I have a serious question (and I am not sure if it has been answered here), and since I will most likely never meet Akira Toriyama or Toyotarou in person (at least in this lifetime), I will ask this forum, since it is the closest I will ever get to Toriyama or Toyotarou--the most accurate information in the Dragon Ball fandom outside of the original ccreators:

Why does Vegeta INSIST on referring to Goku as "Kakarot" (Even though Kakarot is his birth name)?

It is not like he doesn't know the name of Goku; he's heard it enough times over the course of the Dragon Ball Z/Super series.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vegeta and Goku's name

Post by Zillamon51 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Saiyan pride. Goku's birth name (Kakarot) is his Saiyan name, his true name (in Vegeta's eyes), and anything else is inferior / illegitimate.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Vegeta and Goku's name

Post by Meshack » Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Vegeta insists on using Kacarrot because Gokou was born with the Saiyan name Kacarrot, not Son Gokou. Son Gohan gave Gokou his name out if convenience - due to coming from the sky. Vegeta is a Saiyan so I don’t blame him for using Kacarrot.