Would Grandpa Gohan Have Been A Useful Character Had He Not Died?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Would Grandpa Gohan Have Been A Useful Character Had He Not Died?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:52 am

Imagine that Grandpa Gohan managed to survive Oozaru Goku's rampage just before the beginning of DB. What could he have offered to the Z Senshi & story in general? Would he have been useful in stopping the RRA? Could Roshi have succeeded in trapping Daimao with Grandpa Gohan's help? How would things have panned out for Kid Gohan if his namesake grandfather had trained him? Could things have gone any better with him alive?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Would Grandpa Gohan Have Been A Useful Character Had He Not Died?

Post by Lionel » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 pm

He would fill a role similar to Roshi -- that is to say, he provides a constant and dependable voice of mentorship for the youth whom he's interacting with on a frequent basis. Now as to tangible martial value, he could prove to be an asset against the RRA. Well, provided he actually had the opportunity to fight. Roshi's contribution amounted to routing the detachment sent by General Blue to his island. By the time he and the others arrived to the main RRA headquarters, Goku had already annihilated it. Where you might start to see some noteworthy differences is with the Fortuneteller Baba arc and beyond. Baba temporarily inducted Gohan into her employ. Without him, the fourth opponent is left to whatever poor soul Baba originally had in her services. They would get taken out in quick fashion.

Can we say that the odds of Roshi and Gohan training together in preparation for the 22nd tournament are high? If Gohan was aspiring to fulfill the same kind of ideological ambition which Roshi was doing in the 21st then he would have been involved in that event as well -- even though I suspect the final battle still comes down to Chun and Goku. In the 22nd, since having such an efficient sparring partner enables both old hermits to bolster their power increases considerably, you might see Goku and Tenshinhan being confronted by some pretty formidable competition. I think the old hermits might even be stronger than the youth in this event. It wouldn't be unreasonable. Also, they might choose to go all the way and win the tournament, but not before helping Tenshinhan to set him on the right path -- same with Chaozu.

Was it ever confirmed that Grandpa Gohan knew about the Mafuba? The only technique he demonstrated was the Kamehameha. His fate is likely to be similar to Roshi's. It's all pretty much the same except with Goku having even greater incentive to hunt Daimao down like an animal. More alterations to the timeline could happen with the 23rd tournament as the old hermits may or may not have gone into retirement. Being surpassed at a lower tier because you had been out of practice for so long is one thing, but defeating the gruesome adversary whom even your predecessors couldn't defeat at their peak might be the cue for them to recognise when they've been passed up and bow out with dignity. Gohan could provide his experienced and cunning input throughout the tournament. He would also be there to see his great grandson and act as a constant in their lives. Maybe we could see the Gohan/Ox-King dynamic explored a bit. It's otherwise going to pan out pretty much the same after the 22nd tournament, in my opinion.