Why (and how?) did Freeza's blast send Bardock back in time?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why (and how?) did Freeza's blast send Bardock back in time?

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 pm

I know this sounds silly but there's no real reason for this to happen I'm looking for an in Universe explanation for why this happened

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Why did frieza's blast sound bardock back in time

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:21 am

I think DBZA's answer of "MARKETING" is truly the best we can do here.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:33 am

sound bardock? you mean send right?

I think its just a what if, but apparently theres some people claiming a line in Xenoverse/Online explains something about Towa and Mira sending him back last second so they could pick him up later?

IDK

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:54 am

Ssjcell wrote:I know this sounds silly but there's no real reason for this to happen I'm looking for an in Universe explanation for why this happened
I don't understand the question.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 am

It makes no sense but it had to be that for the story to work.

1. They needed Bardock to disappear from where he was so as to you know.... Not die.
2. It kinda had to be back in time and not just teleported to stop Bardock from interfering with canon by joining Goku on earth or just getting killed by Freeza again later (which would also mess with canon as Freeza implicitly met him only once)

Xenoverse fixes it as they stole him as he makes a decent energy gathering henchman and a way to test their power up/mind control shit on him. Bardocks inclusion in the game in real life is fan service but they make it work totally well in-universe.

They later make a reference to him having ran away to the distant past once which is almost certainly a reference to EoB or an approximation of those events.

They retroactively make EoB make more sense. Like they did with the spirit sword from the black arc. Something XV2 doesn't get enough credit for...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:03 am

TobyS wrote:Bardocks inclusion in the game in real life is fan service.
You cannot be serious right?

Also, why are there two threads about this?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Grimlock wrote:
TobyS wrote:Bardocks inclusion in the game in real life is fan service.
You cannot be serious right?

Also, why are there two threads about this?
Why would I not be? I love Bardock but him and Broly are wanked.

Yes it included a bunch of movie characters by design, but rather than be included as a brainwashed villain and and thrown in to an early saga befitting a third class saiyan he was wanked up to super saiyan 3 + Blue tier power.

Yet I'm saying I think they pulled it off well actually.

precita
Banned

Re: Why (and how?) did Freeza's blast send Bardock back in time?

Post by precita » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm

It didn't, he died. The other stuff that brought him back isn't canon.

It's like wondering how Future Trunks went Super Saiyan 3 or why Super Saiyan 4 is back, who cares.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 pm

TobyS wrote:Why would I not be? I love Bardock but him and Broly are wanked.

Yes it included a bunch of movie characters by design, but rather than be included as a brainwashed villain and and thrown in to an early saga befitting a third class saiyan he was wanked up to super saiyan 3 + Blue tier power.

Yet I'm saying I think they pulled it off well actually.
Bardock's role in XV2 is just fine and it is based on the fact that he appears in Dragon Ball Online, so it's not out-of-place and is a character that already existed in the "main continuity", not someone randomly picked from movies thrown in it.

As for the Super Saiyan 3, that's Dimps take on the matter. But it's not like that happens on a daily basis (every single game), so I don't see how he's wanked just for one single appearance in a game in that situation (not counting Heroes as we don't have it).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Freeza's blast didn't send Bardock back in time. It was Towa who used her dark magic to open a wormhole just before Bardock was killed. That wormhole sent Bardock back in time. He then landed on Planet Plant, turned Super Saiyan, and killed Chilled. It is THIS Bardock that Towa and Mira then abducted, turning him into Time Breaker Bardock. This Bardock already had a strong base. With the time breaker mask, they further strengthened him. This is actually how Bardock became Time Breaker Bardock. Few people know this but it was explained in the DBH games.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:53 am

shadowfox87 wrote:Freeza's blast didn't send Bardock back in time. It was Towa who used her dark magic to open a wormhole just before Bardock was killed. That wormhole sent Bardock back in time. He then landed on Planet Plant, turned Super Saiyan, and killed Chilled. It is THIS Bardock that Towa and Mira then abducted, turning him into Time Breaker Bardock. This Bardock already had a strong base. With the time breaker mask, they further strengthened him. This is actually how Bardock became Time Breaker Bardock. Few people know this but it was explained in the DBH games.
I haven't played heroes but it seems there's a slight difference between the two perhaps.

XV shows them stealing him.

References him running away to the distant past (EoB nod) before getting caught again.

Dunno if heroes said they did a shitty job where they sent him back to EoB then grabbed him to experiment on, why not just grab him directly? Makes towa look shitty at her job. The XV2 one makes more sense.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am

TobyS wrote:I haven't played heroes but it seems there's a slight difference between the two perhaps.

References him running away to the distant past (EoB nod) before getting caught again.

Dunno if heroes said they did a shitty job where they sent him back to EoB then grabbed him to experiment on, why not just grab him directly? Makes towa look shitty at her job. The XV2 one makes more sense.
Because Towa would want to nab Bardock when he's at his strongest. Waiting for the right opportunity. Bardock gets a zenkai after he gets healed on Planet Plant. Then another zenkai after his battle with Chilled. Then he gets further amplified by the mask. There's no other explanation. The ability to see in the future given to Bardock by the Kanassan has nothing to do with why Bardock went to the past.

I haven't played XV but if it shows them stealing him, it must be after EoB.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:35 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:
TobyS wrote:I haven't played heroes but it seems there's a slight difference between the two perhaps.

Because Towa would want to nab Bardock when he's at his strongest. Waiting for the right opportunity. Bardock gets a zenkai after he gets healed on Planet Plant. Then another zenkai after his battle with Chilled. Then he gets further amplified by the mask. There's no other explanation. The ability to see in the future given to Bardock by the Kanassan has nothing to do with why Bardock went to the past.

I haven't played XV but if it shows them stealing him, it must be after EoB.
I dont buy that. They can experiment on and power people up with science and dark magic, letting him run lose in the ancient past in the vague hope he finds a worthy fight AND survives AND get's a zenkai AND risks being fund out of place by Chronoa, only to go pick him up again later seems silly.

XV references him being under their control for a while THEN escaping to the distant past (implicitly EoB), then getting recaptured.

It works better to explain how he got from trash tier in DB- to super-saiyan because of Towa, than it does assuming his small EoB boost goes any significant way to how strong he got by the time he fought Mira.

If Heroes does the opposite I don't know as I haven't played it. Heroes and XV are mutually exclusive stories anyway.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm

It came from what was pretty much a fan fiction manga, so basically the answer is fan fiction. And as others have said it's marketable.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 pm

TobyS wrote: I dont buy that. They can experiment on and power people up with science and dark magic, letting him run lose in the ancient past in the vague hope he finds a worthy fight AND survives AND get's a zenkai AND risks being fund out of place by Chronoa, only to go pick him up again later seems silly.

XV references him being under their control for a while THEN escaping to the distant past (implicitly EoB), then getting recaptured.

It works better to explain how he got from trash tier in DB- to super-saiyan because of Towa, than it does assuming his small EoB boost goes any significant way to how strong he got by the time he fought Mira.

If Heroes does the opposite I don't know as I haven't played it. Heroes and XV are mutually exclusive stories anyway.
Well it doesn't matter if you don't buy it. There's no other explanation given to why a wormhole magically appeared out of nowhere behind Bardock to warp him to the past. If Bardock was already under control before EoB, that would make no sense. What happened between EoB and Bardock Special then? Where did he go and how did he escape? The Bardock you see in the first chapter of SDBH is the one that was nabbed by Towa. You see him again in XV because that also corresponds to the same story. At that time, Towa was collecting energy from the Time Rifts to break the seal on the Demon Realm but she was also unknowingly weaking the barrier between the dimensions which allowed Demigra to be freed from the Time Chasm (Crack of Time). After Trunks broke Bardock's mask in SDBH Chapter 1, he wasn't nabbed again. Rather, they got King Vegeta to be the new masked saiyan during the Dark Empire Saga. Towa has knowledge of time events because she's a scientist and she has dark magic to see in the past. She would know at what time would be the best to nab Bardock.
dragon boss z wrote:It came from what was pretty much a fan fiction manga, so basically the answer is fan fiction. And as others have said it's marketable.
Yoshitaka Nagayama is not just a "fan". He is an author of SDBH manga. It's not part of the main continuity, but it's not fan fiction. That's like calling DBO fan fiction.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:55 pm

Anti-Logic.

We also have that to thank for other wonderful creations like the Dracula vs Frankenstein Movie.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Wow good stuff I did not know that about towa essientially rewarding Bardock for his bravery by taking him to the past to avenge his destroyed race by killing frieza's ancestor. Thanks for the information and to address the elephant in the room I mistakingly made a typo and had to create a new thread without said typo.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:57 pm

shadowfox87 wrote: Yoshitaka Nagayama is not just a "fan". He is an author of SDBH manga. It's not part of the main continuity, but it's not fan fiction. That's like calling DBO fan fiction.
I mean dragon ball heroes is kind of like official fan fiction. It's not actual fan fiction, but it's borderline, lol.