Does anybody else see similarities between the Stardust Breaker and the Hakai?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Does anybody else see similarities between the Stardust Breaker and the Hakai?

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:07 pm

The title says it all: imo they seem kinda similar. Their debut scenes are even similar: Gogeta/Beerus no sells an attack from Janemba/Zamasu, and Janemba/Zamasu get completely vaporized by the attack.

Thoughts?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does anybody else see similarities between the Stardust Breaker and the Hakai?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:12 am

Hakai would have eliminated Janemba completely, not reverted him to his original form, though. I think it's more comparable to the Genki Dama.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does anybody else see similarities between the Stardust Breaker and the Hakai?

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 am

I'm neither fond of, nor really understand the theatrical movie attacks very well. They're overpowered to the point of taking away any tension, that's just absurd. Hakai is just that and more, but it's rightly reserved to Hakaishins, and not even it is omnipotent, as demonstrated by Vegeta no-selling it (and Freeza doing so earlier with one from Sidra).

On the other hand - attacks like the Dragon Fist allow Goku to vaporize opponents several times stronger than himself, which is a load of jack shit if you ask me. In the manga (and fortunately in Super too), Goku never had this sort of an unfair certain kill attack.

If Goku had the Dragon Fist in Super, he'd be able to off Jiren with just KKx20 Blue easily. I feel the same about the Stardust Breaker, though to be fair Gogeta was stronger than his opponent when he used it. Still, it's a weird and gimmicky attack IMO.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Saturnine wrote:Hakai is just that and more, but it's rightly reserved to Hakaishins, and not even it is omnipotent, as demonstrated by Vegeta no-selling it (and Freeza doing so earlier with one from Sidra).
Although that was the projectile version, not the direct version, and Toppo was holding back to avoid killing anyone and getting disqualified, and Sidra was using a proxy to fire the attack which probably made it weaker.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Saturnine wrote:Hakai is just that and more, but it's rightly reserved to Hakaishins, and not even it is omnipotent, as demonstrated by Vegeta no-selling it (and Freeza doing so earlier with one from Sidra).
Although that was the projectile version, not the direct version, and Toppo was holding back to avoid killing anyone and getting disqualified, and Sidra was using a proxy to fire the attack which probably made it weaker.
I know, but still - it was demonstrated that even such attacks can be countered, in canon at least. It's a matter of portrayal. The Soul Punisher and the Dragon Fist on the other hand, just feel like instawins no matter what. Goku even obliterated Omega Shenron with the Dragon Fist once, and only his superior (and frankly inexplicable) powers of regeneration saved him. It makes it difficult to write convincing tension, 's all I'm saying :P

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 pm

I do not think there is any real similarity since gogeta did not eliminate janemba completely