The 28 planets

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

The 28 planets

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Here I'll try to list them, and see if the number checks out. Trying to stick to 'canon' as much as possible, and listing planets inhabited by mortals.

1. Earth. Start with the obvious.
2. New Namek.
3. Bas. The name of the planet is likely non-canon but it is the planet of origin of a completely canon character, Guldo, and there's no indication it was destroyed, so I'm counting it. Also from now on we're starting to go in alphabetical order.
4. Banna. Whis talks about it as if it still exists, so it likely hasn't been destroyed.
5. Jeice's home planet. The planet Brench can't be considered canon, but we know that Jeice had to come from somewhere, so I include this in a category with Bas.
6. The Planet of Darkness. Yakon's home planet. Babidi transported them there so we know it was still around as of the Buu saga.
7. Planet Freeza #17. Shown in the Dragonball Super manga.
8. Planet Freeza #79. Was never destroyed.
9. Planet Freeza #448. Rebelled against the remains of Freeza's empire.
10. Gaspa. Mentioned by Beerus as a planet where dragons live, he talks about it as if it still exists.
11. King Cold's Planet Never shown in the manga but it was shown in Kai and its presence can be inferred in the manga, so I'm counting it.
12. Litt/Lilliput. Was destroyed in an anime filler but it was mentioned in the manga and never stated to be destroyed there, so I'm counting it.
13. Manu. Mentioned by Beerus as still existing.
14. Metamor, the planet whose inhabitants invented the Fusion Dance. Never mentioned to be destroyed.
15. Namchek. See note 1.
16. Namchinno. See note 1.
17. Name. See note 1.
18. Planet Nikochan. Yeah it's from Dr. Slump but there was a Dr. Slump crossover episode in Super so I'm going to tentatively count it.
19. Octo. Homeworld of the Galactic King's race.
20. Popol. See note 2.
21. Potaufeu. Home of Potage and Commeson.
22. Saute. Homeworld of Gryll and his species.
23. Snack. Home of the alien who challenged Mr. Satan, thinking he defeated Beerus.
24. Tech-Tech. Where Tarble's wife is from. Also has a Dr. Slump connection.
25. Wagashi. Monaka's homeworld.
26. Watrin. A planet where Whis got Beerus some food. No indication it was destroyed.
27. Yardrat. Never implied to be destroyed.
28. Zoon. Puipui's home planet.

Now we're starting to go past the limit.

29. Zuno's planet.
30. Freeza's new base planet. Seen in the last episode of DBS.
31. Freeza's homeworld. Implied to exist at least.
32. Home planet of Appule's race. Likely still exists as many members of this race were recruited for Freeza's army after he was resurrected.
33. Homeworld of Blueberry's race. Same note applies as with #32.
34. Burter's homeworld.
35. Dodoria's homeworld
36. Freeza soldier race homeworld. I guess.
37. Captain Ginyu's homeworld
38. Iru's homeworld. In case you don't know who he is.
39. Malaka's homeworld. Again, refresher.
40. Metalmen homeworld. It was stated that they also existed in Universe 7.
41. Recoome's homeworld.
42. Slug soldier homeworld. Appeared in Resurrection F so I count them as canon here.
43. Sui's homeworld. Refresher link.
44. Tobi's homeworld. A member of this race was seen in Resurrection F.
45. Frog-face race homeworld. Refresher link.
46. Zarbon's homeworld.
47. Galactic Poacher homeworld.
48. Watagash's homeworld
49. Jaco's homeworld
50. Geppuman's homeworld. Refresher link.
51. Abo/Cado/Aka's race homeworld.
52. Fishman homeworld. Appeared in Resurrection F.
53. Ledgic's race homeworld. Again, appeared in Resurrection F, so apparently canon.
54. Shisami's homeworld
55. Sorbet's homeworld
56. Tagoma's homeworld
57. Haebunbu. Another Dr. Slump planet but we see a resident of it in DBS.
58. Okakaumeboshi See previous.
59. Chelye's homeworld.Semi-spoiler.
60. Mil Clan homeworld. Not sure about canonicity.
61. Garana's homeworld. Refresher link.
62. Jiya's homeworld. Refresher link.
63. Kikono's homeworld.Refresher link.
64. Lemo's homeworld. Semi-spoiler.

That's a lot more than 28. Let's see if we can narrow it down.

Numbers 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 24, 51, 53, 57, 58, 60, and 62 can easily be argued to be non-canon, which leaves us with 52 left.

Numbers 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 14, 20, 27, 28, 31, 34, 35, 37, 39, 41, 46, 48, 54, 55, 56, 59, 61, 63, and 64 all could possibly have been destroyed before Kaioshin made the 28 planets statement (either in the past by some event, by Beerus, from the shockwaves of the Goku/Beerus fight, by Champa and Vados, by the Galactic Patrol with Extinction Bombs, by the remnants of the Freeza Force, or some other event). That leaves us with 27. There we go. However we can make even more room. It's possible that #21 wasn't counted because it only had 2 mortals: Potage and Commeson. I believe it was stated that the Metalmen only might exist in Universe 7, so #40 might not exist. Although many of these aliens were still active in the DBS era, it's possible their planets were destroyed and they were all offworld at the time, so we can cross out numbers 22, 32, 33, 36, 38, 42, 43, 44, 45, 47, 48, 50, 52, 59, 61, 63, and 64. Numbers 4, 10, 13, and 26 may have been destroyed, or may have been inhabited by only animals and no intelligent life.

So the only planets in Universe 7 inhabited by mortals at the end of DBS that are absolutely confirmed to still exist and were almost certainly included in the count are:

1. Earth
2. New Namek
3. Planet Freeza #448
4. Octo
5. Snack
6. Wagashi
7. Zuno's planet
8. Freeza's new base planet
9. Jaco's homeworld

So possibly 19 new inhabited Universe 7 planets could be introduced without completely contradicting the statement.

Notes:

1. The wiki states that these planets were listed in King Kai's address book when he was looking for planet Namek, but it never gives a citation, so I don't know if they were in the manga, anime filler, Kai, dub only, or what. I'm listing them here until someone else can clarify this.
2. Again, got this one from the wiki, which says it was mentioned by Kibito in the Buu saga, although it doesn't give a citation.
Last edited by Polyphase Avatron on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: The 28 planets

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 am

I appreciate the effort put in to this, but the "only 28 planets" thing is the single dumbest thing in all of Dragonball, even beating out the "I never kissed chichi" or "But I thought you wanted a boat" If I get a "personal canon" it's everything but that one line.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:44 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:I appreciate the effort put in to this, but the "only 28 planets" thing is the single dumbest thing in all of Dragonball, even beating out the "I never kissed chichi" or "But I thought you wanted a boat" If I get a "personal canon" it's everything but that one line.
Just trying to make some kind of sense of it. Of course it makes no sense considering how common aliens seem to be.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:47 pm

-M-2
-Dr Myuu's planet
-Imecka
-Pital

Where are those?
+ remaining GT planets
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:-M-2
-Dr Myuu's planet
-Imecka
-Pital

Where are those?
+ remaining GT planets
They aren't canon and don't matter or fit this conversation.

But yeah there is no making sense of it. It is the dumbest line in all of history other than maybe SSJ4 Goku's comment of "Wow he destroyed a whole city in one blast!" talking to the final Shadow Dragon.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:30 pm

PFM18 wrote:
-Dr Myuu's planet
-Imecka
-Pital

Where are those?
+ remaining GT planets

But yeah there is no making sense of it. It is the dumbest line in all of history other than maybe SSJ4 Goku's comment of "Wow he destroyed a whole city in one blast!" talking to the final Shadow Dragon.
>DB
>canon
lol right
And i'm 100% sure that none of this jelly-vegeta bs happened in manga nor was part of Toriyama's vision. So if GT planets are not canon, then planets from Copy-Vegeta filler are even less canon becayse Toriyama at least had knowledge about GT planets and designed some of them. And i don't remember Vegeta's brother being a thing outside of movies either.

Also, it's cute how you talk about dumb lines and sense yet you use english dub lines lol good one :lol:
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
-Dr Myuu's planet
-Imecka
-Pital

Where are those?
+ remaining GT planets

>DB
>canon
lol right
And i'm 100% sure that none of this jelly-vegeta bs happened in manga nor was part of Toriyama's vision. So if GT planets are not canon, then planets from Copy-Vegeta filler are even less canon becayse Toriyama at least had knowledge about GT planets and designed some of them. And i don't remember Vegeta's brother being a thing outside of movies either.

Also, it's cute how you talk about dumb lines and sense yet you use english dub lines lol good one :lol:

To be fair, since the 28 planets line was made in Super, there could be a completely different number of planets in the GT timeline, since that statement was never made in that timeline.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:34 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
-Dr Myuu's planet
-Imecka
-Pital

Where are those?
+ remaining GT planets

>DB
>canon
lol right

Yes, "canon." or would you prefer "main continuity" better? Either way, GT is not part of the main continuity and is not relevant to this discussion.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:17 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

>DB
>canon
lol right

To be fair, since the 28 planets line was made in Super, there could be a completely different number of planets in the GT timeline, since that statement was never made in that timeline.
Exactly. I'm going with stuff that fits in with the DBS continuity.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 pm

It looks like you're assuming every different alien we've seen came from a different planet, but one planet can birth multiple sapient species.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Simere wrote:It looks like you're assuming every different alien we've seen came from a different planet, but one planet can birth multiple sapient species.
I considered that, but my first goal was to come up with as many different plausible planets as possible, then narrow it down. However I didn't need to use that idea to narrow it down when I got to the final nine.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 am

PFM18 wrote: Yes, "canon." or would you prefer "main continuity" better? Either way, GT is not part of the main continuity and is not relevant to this discussion.
Bad argument. Copy-Vegeta isn't part of main timeline either. Not even part of DBS timeline since it's only anime filler.
The same goes for Tarble. He doesn't exist in main timeline.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Yes, "canon." or would you prefer "main continuity" better? Either way, GT is not part of the main continuity and is not relevant to this discussion.
Bad argument. Copy-Vegeta isn't part of main timeline either. Not even part of DBS timeline since it's only anime filler.
It isnt even really an argument. I'm just stating a fact. GT is its own little side story it is not part of the main continuity and so those planets should not be considered.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 am

PFM18 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
It isnt even really an argument. I'm just stating a fact. GT is its own little side story it is not part of the main continuity and so those planets should not be considered.
Did you read what i said?
Tarble doesn't exist in main timeline either.
And Copy-Vegeta is a filler. Just because something has "Super" in name doesn't make it more canon, especially when some of GT planets were designed by Toriyama, who most likely doesn't even know about Copy-Vegeta's existence.

So those planets shouldn't be considered either. If you want to stick to (non-existing) canon, then do not count things that Toriyama never worked on.
Copy-Vegeta didn't even appear in DBH, it's so minor and irrelevant filler that even games do not want to include it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:08 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Just because something has "Super" in name doesn't make it more canon
\

Yes it does actually. Super, regardless of how integral Toriyama was during that particular part, is the continuation of the main continuity of Dragon Ball. As Toriyama stated himself, GT is a "cool side story" and not actually part of the main story at all. Therefore, their planets are not included. I never mentioned Tarble so I have no idea why you keep bringing him up.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:34 am

I would also not include the planets from GT in Super. They are two different continuities. Beerus and Buu both destroyed several planets before the start of the DBZ series. In GT, Beerus didn't wake up. In DBS, he woke up and destroyed more planets. We don't know which planets and how many planets Beerus destroyed at the start of DBS. Less planets means, less mortals which is one of the reasons Universe 7's mortal level is so low. Then it is the job of the Kaioshin to create the "impetus for life". This is the balance of creation and destruction. Therefore, 28 is a reasonable number of planets for Universe 7. Toriyama confirmed the job of the Kaioshin and Hakaishin during his interview for Chozenshuu 1 in 2013:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... yama-2013/
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 am

PFM18 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:Just because something has "Super" in name doesn't make it more canon
\

Yes it does actually. Super, regardless of how integral Toriyama was during that particular part, is the continuation of the main continuity of Dragon Ball. As Toriyama stated himself, GT is a "cool side story" and not actually part of the main story at all. Therefore, their planets are not included. I never mentioned Tarble so I have no idea why you keep bringing him up.
OP mentioned planet of Abo and Kado as well as planet of Tarble's wife. That's why.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
\

OP mentioned planet of Abo and Kado as well as planet of Tarble's wife. That's why.
Alright that makes sense. Then I agree with you I think that the special was retconned and Tarble and his wife shouldn't count.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:33 am

It's 28 planets with human life, not 28 planets in all.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:40 am

Meshack wrote:It's 28 planets with human life, not 28 planets in all.
I took it to mean mortal life, as in home to intelligent beings that aren't gods.