If Gohan kept up with his training could he have beat Buu?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

If Gohan kept up with his training could he have beat Buu?

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:23 pm

If Gohan kept up with his training could he have beaten buu?

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Re: If Gohan kept up with his training could he have beat Buu?

Post by Nineteen » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:56 pm

Do you mean Fat Buu?
Last edited by Nineteen on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Yes the Buu that hatches out of the egg

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:51 pm

Well assuming he's able to bring out the maximum capacity of his potential at that point in time, sure. Gohan was always hailed as having such incredible untapped reserves of power that it outstripped even the adults. Chances are that he wouldn't discover SSJ3, but his SSJ2's power would be honed so efficiently that it would likely overtake SSJ3 Goku anyway. According to the Daizenshuu, I think, SSJ3 is intended to bring out the latent potential of the user. Well if Gohan is harnessing his own then it should be safe to make the deduction that he would become stronger than Goku using his optimal potential at the time.

Buu would get taken out during his initial confrontation with Gohan. Vegeta and Goku's battle probably continues until they're both grounded down into a near-death state with the latter plausibly eking out a hard-fought victory. With the Saiyan Prince's last cry of prideful indignation at being outplayed by someone else, Goku returns to the afterlife once he's spent the remainder of his time with his loved ones catching up. Someone else can fill in the blanks on how the events of Super pan out in this hypothetical if they want to.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Lionel wrote:Well assuming he's able to bring out the maximum capacity of his potential at that point in time, sure. Gohan was always hailed as having such incredible untapped reserves of power that it outstripped even the adults. Chances are that he wouldn't discover SSJ3, but his SSJ2's power would be honed so efficiently that it would likely overtake SSJ3 Goku anyway. According to the Daizenshuu, I think, SSJ3 is intended to bring out the latent potential of the user. Well if Gohan is harnessing his own then it should be safe to make the deduction that he would become stronger than Goku using his optimal potential at the time.

Buu would get taken out during his initial confrontation with Gohan. Vegeta and Goku's battle probably continues until they're both grounded down into a near-death state with the latter plausibly eking out a hard-fought victory. With the Saiyan Prince's last cry of prideful indignation at being outplayed by someone else, Goku returns to the afterlife once he's spent the remainder of his time with his loved ones catching up. Someone else can fill in the blanks on how the events of Super pan out in this hypothetical if they want to.
Yeah then everybody dies from beerus
I would agree that Gohan would beat Buu if he kept up with his training in fact I think he would destroy him

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:51 am

If Buu wasn't resorting into a last effort tactic of absorbing either Gohan (who should be strong enough to hold by his own against the hatched Buu) or Shin to power himself up further against the somewhat worn Gohan, I don't see THAT Majin Buu being a problem for him.

To make things mathematically logic here are my power levels:

Gohan (if trained constantly for 7 years since the Cell Games till now): 85,000,000
- SSJ Gohan: 4,250,000,000
- SSJ 2 Gohan: 8,500,000,000
Majin Buu (hatched): 8,000,000,000

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Well, SSj3 Goku is only 4 times as strong as SSj2 Goku and was confident that he could've beaten Fat Buu. Heck, if not for SSj3's energy drain he could've beaten the even-more-powerful Kid Buu with enough time to charge up a big blast. Some people have theorized that Fat Buu has a power level roughly twice that of the SSJ2s since Gohan's power nearly halfway filled the gauge -- more than enough to crush two or three of them at once, especially considering his regeneration and seemingly endless stamina, but still falling far short of SSj3 Goku when he's not holding back. So it's safe to say that anyone on that "3 or 4 times stronger than SSj2 Goku" level of power could've beaten Fat Buu without much difficulty, especially if they went all-out early on rather than letting him get angry and power up to his maximum level.

Another thing to consider is that SSj2 Goku and Majin Vegeta were only a little bit ahead of the power Gohan showed at the Cell Games... and Gohan's potential for growth is higher than theirs (at least before godly ki got involved, anyway.) So if he keeps up training over the seven years, even if he didn't train as hard as Goku or Vegeta did, he should be able to at least double his power. That would put him about equal with Fat Buu's full strength, which would mean he'd be strong enough to destroy him in SSj2 if given enough time to charge up a powerful enough blast to vaporize all of Buu at once (like Goku vs. Kid Buu, but without the problem of SSj3 energy drain.)

And finally, if Gohan trained seriously over the seven years, you can bet he'd be training with Piccolo at least part of the time -- so I imagine Big Green would get a lot stronger too thanks to having such a powerful sparring partner (remember his gains between Freeza and the Androids? same situation -- he'd just fused with another Namekian and got a huge boost, and then got even stronger due to training with a Super Saiyan for years.) I can see him potentially getting strong enough that he'd be able to put up a good fight against Dabura, maybe even win.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:39 pm

If Gohan spent his time mastering SSJ2 then he could've taken on Pure Boo judging from Future Trunks' mastery of SSJ2 in the manga being on par with SSJ3 Goku. Gohan already is a dynamo of untapped potential that fires up whenever he gets angry so just imagine how much stronger he could be with FPSSJ2 + his rage, I imagine he could even cause major damage to Super Boo if he put his all into it.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Ya he probably could have, especially if he got ssj3.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Definitely. Goku and Vegeta in the Boo arc as SS3s are only somewhat stronger than SS3 Gohan from the Cell Games, this coupled with SS3s multiplier means Gohan will be smashing Boo no problem. Not that Boo will even get to hatch, Dabra would lose pretty handily in this scenario.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:39 pm

No. Regardless of how strong he may be, Gohan would find a way to f**k it up like he always does. Buu's regen, stamina, and magical abilities would win the day.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:57 pm

I don't think so. Vegeta trained like a maniac and was still weaker than Gohan at the Cell Games by the time Babidi came. Even accounting for Gohan being stronger than Vegeta back then, I don't think he was more than twice as strong or so, which would mean if he trained as hard the gap would be maintained and he'd be twice as strong as pre-Majin Vegeta in the Buu arc. He wouldn't have SS3 and his SS2 power would be totally insufficient. He shouldn't be dimensions above SS2 Goku either, considering they weren't that far apart in their respective Super Saiyan forms at the Cell Games.

Even a rage boost proportionally on par with his one at the Cell Games wouldn't help. I think people highly underrate Fat Buu. Piccolo said that no number of SS2s would be able to beat him. He fought on par with SS3 Goku, with the latter sweating bullets at the end of the fight (Buu was fine) and outright admitting that nothing he did actually hurt Buu at all.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I don't think so. Vegeta trained like a maniac and was still weaker than Gohan at the Cell Games by the time Babidi came. Even accounting for Gohan being stronger than Vegeta back then, I don't think he was more than twice as strong or so, which would mean if he trained as hard the gap would be maintained and he'd be twice as strong as pre-Majin Vegeta in the Buu arc. He wouldn't have SS3 and his SS2 power would be totally insufficient. He shouldn't be dimensions above SS2 Goku either, considering they weren't that far apart in their respective Super Saiyan forms at the Cell Games.

Even a rage boost proportionally on par with his one at the Cell Games wouldn't help. I think people highly underrate Fat Buu. Piccolo said that no number of SS2s would be able to beat him. He fought on par with SS3 Goku, with the latter sweating bullets at the end of the fight (Buu was fine) and outright admitting that nothing he did actually hurt Buu at all.
I got the feeling that Gohan was world's ahead of Vegeta and Goku probably well above dimensions above if that makes sense they were all SHOCKED at his power. I think he could have gotten as strong as ss3 goku or stronger than he was when he was training with the z sword, which I would put well above majin Vegeta I mean he was training for what 1 day and he experienced massive gains. His potential is outstanding ...

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:50 pm

As a hybrid Saiyan, Gohan has more potential than both Goku and Vegeta. The latest manga chapter showed this given that just with a little bit of training, Gohan already surpassed Super Saiyan Blue Goku in the ToP and was able to go on par with Kefla. Some may call it bs, but it's one version of the story that allowed Gohan to be that strong.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707