What do you think of movie 13?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

What do you think of movie 13?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Specifically about Tapion and his relationship with Trunks. Do you find Tapion an interesting character? Do you think their relationship was handled well within the time limit the movie had to work with? With Broly setting a precedent for movie characters to be rebooted in Super, would you mind if Tapion is brought into the series and a story surrounding him is written?

Bullza
Banned

Re: What do you think of movie 13?

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:32 pm

It was alright, I remember it having a more Cinematic look to it but it wasn't particularly a good movie or one of the better ones.

Tapion's interactions with Trunks was probably the most memorable part about it as Hirudegarn was one of the weakest of all the movie villains and the action not too memorable.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 pm

I liked Tapion. I'd like to see him be made canon, possibly appearing in the next anime or playing a significant role in another movie. He's always been a popular character, despite his few appearances.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:09 pm

The movie looks great and is a kaiju movie of sorts so in that regard I like it a lot.

Hirudegarn is pretty cool, his transformation is a little WTF since he's ment to be an evil spirit but it plays into the kaiju theme (specifically Mothra) So I'm ok with it.

The big flaw with the films is that it sticks with the movie formula of that era. Honestly the story is Trunks and Tapions, not Goku's. In fact Goku affects the film in a similur manner to Beerus in RoF. He comes in and steals the tension right out from under the plot and steals the spotlight from the character's who story it is. It's kind of like Namek in that sense, The Frieza saga is Gohan, Krillin and Vegeta's story while Goku has very little connection to any of the villains in it. The difference there of course is that Goku develops a relationship with Frieza over time while Goku and Hirudegarn have no connection.

Edit: Hirudegarn has been brought back in a fashion already. Anilaza has traits that can be tied Hatchiyack, Janemba and Hirudegarn.

It would be nice to rework Tapion in some how.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:The movie looks great and is a kaiju movie of sorts so in that regard I like it a lot.

Hirudegarn is pretty cool, his transformation is a little WTF since he's ment to be an evil spirit but it plays into the kaiju theme (specifically Mothra) So I'm ok with it.

The big flaw with the films is that it sticks with the movie formula of that era. Honestly the story is Trunks and Tapions, not Goku's. In fact Goku affects the film in a similur manner to Beerus in RoF. He comes in and steals the tension right out from under the plot and steals the spotlight from the character's who story it is. It's kind of like Namek in that sense, The Frieza saga is Gohan, Krillin and Vegeta's story while Goku has very little connection to any of the villains in it. The difference there of course is that Goku develops a relationship with Frieza over time while Goku and Hirudegarn have no connection.

Edit: Hirudegarn has been brought back in a fashion already. Anilaza has traits that can be tied Hatchiyack, Janemba and Hirudegarn.

I don't think Goku is comparable to Beerus. We know Beerus was stronger than Freeza due to the fact Freeza and Goku were evenly matched; plus there was Whis there already. Goku had already lost to Hirudegarn plenty of times before pulling the dragon fist from nowhere.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:The movie looks great and is a kaiju movie of sorts so in that regard I like it a lot.

I think it's going a bit far to say Goku developed a relationship with frieza on namek Goku hated frieza on namek that was the extent pure hatred

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:

I don't think Goku is comparable to Beerus. We know Beerus was stronger than Freeza due to the fact Freeza and Goku were evenly matched; plus there was Whis there already. Goku had already lost to Hirudegarn plenty of times before pulling the dragon fist from nowhere.
He only lost in weaker forms, we all know he can go SS3 any time he wanted. Your not really losing if your not using your full power for no other reason then choosing not to.

Ssjcell wrote:

I think it's going a bit far to say Goku developed a relationship with frieza on namek Goku hated frieza on namek that was the extent pure hatred
Hatred for someone is a relationship if a ill one, an emotional connection to any being no matter what type of emotion is.

The oppasite of a relationship is not hate but indifference, whch is pretty much what Goku and Frieza had for eachother on first meeting.