The Android/Cell arc could have ended so quickly

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The Android/Cell arc could have ended so quickly

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:11 am

When Bulma suggested using the Dragonballs to find Gero's lab, then go ahead and destroy it, how come nobody went along with it.

Or she could have secretly have Yamcha do it. Why did they let their prides get in the way?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: The Android/Cell arc could have ended so quickly

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 am

Because that, pride.

THe deadliest sin. The Z Squad didn't want to cheat their way onto victory, they wanted to change history fair and square.

And Toriyama probably lampshading his own loopholes, tbh.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 am

Because.... Saiyans. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:28 pm

It was a sloppy character writing on Toriyama's part.

The main cast talk about how they want to challenge themselves and let the Artificial Human's arrive. Then when #19 bites the dust and Gero proves to be no threat, they decide to try and prevent Gero from activating the Artificial Humans. Completely rendering the original reasoning for the entire Android/Cell arc kicking off null and void.

And that's not even taking into consideration the absurd reasoning Goku gives for not going after Gero using the Dragon Balls.

It's made even worse by the fact that when Goku, Piccolo and Tenshihan confront #19 and Gero after Gero steals Yamcha's energy and nearly kills him, Gero wipes out half of the island the Z-Fighters found him on. And the people that died on the island were never brought back to life. Ever.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Yeah it could have. Toriyama mostly played it as a gag. I don’t care though, that part is among my favorites as it shows how flawed the characters are. That’s a big aspect of DB people often overlook. The Z-Fighters are not justice heroes, they are just martial artists who happen to protect their planet.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Because time travel is a shit narrative device no self-respecting writer should ever use, case in point: this whole arc.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It was a sloppy character writing on Toriyama's part.

The main cast talk about how they want to challenge themselves and let the Artificial Human's arrive. Then when #19 bites the dust and Gero proves to be no threat, they decide to try and prevent Gero from activating the Artificial Humans. Completely rendering the original reasoning for the entire Android/Cell arc kicking off null and void.

And that's not even taking into consideration the absurd reasoning Goku gives for not going after Gero using the Dragon Balls.

It's made even worse by the fact that when Goku, Piccolo and Tenshihan confront #19 and Gero after Gero steals Yamcha's energy and nearly kills him, Gero wipes out half of the island the Z-Fighters found him on. And the people that died on the island were never brought back to life. Ever.
This. If they wanted to be stronger for future threats they could had simply used the time chamber sooner and even upgrade it so they wouldn't age a year everytime they are inside.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:12 pm

But Vegeta actually wanted them activated once he reached the lab.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:23 pm

They weren't brought back after the cell games? I might have to rewatch the arc it's been a while.

Not to mention Krillin breaks the remote control (that ended up working out for the better), and Vegeta hurt his own son to let Cell reach his perfect form. Goku was warned about the virus yet didn't take the medication with him when the Androids first attacked, and Piccolo could have also taken out Gero when he fought him and he also failed to kill imperfect Cell when he first attacked Gingertown since he was at first stronger. Just a blunder by the Z fighters.

I like that Arc but man did it have some head scratchers.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Because time travel is a shit narrative device no self-respecting writer should ever use, case in point: this whole arc.
Do you have the same feelings for the Zamasu arc? That one involved time travel.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:32 am

You could argue the same for a good number of the plot arcs in this series. Like others explained, it became the exacerbatory debacle we all know because of a fatal personality trait that was acknowledged earlier. If anyone were to take the initiative by seeking out Gero's laboratory then what do you suppose the reaction would have been from the others? I imagine Tenshinhan and Piccolo wouldn't have been too upset. Goku would have disagreed but he's not the sort to harbour grudges against his companions over a methodological difference like that. Now Vegeta? He might be someone to look out for since he did threaten to kill anyone who bothered using such an "underhanded" approach for subduing these novel challenges to a warrior's strength. Someone that is volatile like him would have warranted keeping Goku and the others nearby.

Another thing, anyone that chooses to use the Dragon Balls to launch a preemptive strike at the heart of Gero's base of operations would have needed to possess the strength required for dealing with someone of that level of power. We don't know exactly when the androids and cyborgs were developed, but the timeline laid out by Herms seems to suggest that they were fully constructed sometime between when Trunks gave his warning and when they actually emerged. It's not impossible for Bulma to come across Gero before he's successfully created his machines or turned himself into one. Still, having someone else to come along with her would be the best option. It wouldn't be Goku or Vegeta for obvious reasons. All this leaves are Piccolo, Gohan, and the humans sans Tenshinhan (he sides with the faction of warriors who wants to fight the cyborgs).

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 am

omaro34 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Because time travel is a shit narrative device no self-respecting writer should ever use, case in point: this whole arc.
Do you have the same feelings for the Zamasu arc? That one involved time travel.
The Zamasu arc is even worse.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Then Imperfect Cell wakes up and kills them all because they didn't do the training for the androids.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147