Is the Old Kai Unlock Ability and the Potential Unleashed Form different?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Is the Old Kai Unlock Ability and the Potential Unleashed Form different?

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:15 am

I've meant to make this thread a couple times before but I've finally gotten around to it.

https://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Gohan

So on the Dragon Ball Wikia, on Gohan's page, under his Forms and Transformations, it lists the Old Kai Unlock Ability as one thing and the Potential Unleashed as another thing. This is what it actually has to say for both.

Old Kai Unlock Ability

[spoiler]This power-up is when the full extent of his dormant capacities are released. Gohan is also referred to as Ultimate Gohan (アルティメット悟飯 Arutimetto Gohan) in this state. This power up was achieved by a special ceremony performed by Old Kai. Although technically this ability is not exclusive to Gohan alone as the ceremony can be used to unlock anyone's sleeping powers, his was unusual in the amount of time it took to unlock due to his amazing potential.

Gohan activates this ability in a similar fashion to the Super Saiyan transformation, yet ultimately remained physically normal. As Old Kai explained, Gohan's manifested potential is so great, simply focusing it pushed his abilities well-beyond what his Super Saiyan forms can normally do. At the same time, once accessing his Unlocked power, Gohan's subtle differences are present to his appearances, including more pronounced facial features including sterner eyes, and is able to manifest a large white aura. Despite this state giving Gohan constant access to his most developed capacities, he still requires regular training to properly access this state and thus becomes weaker over time with lack of training like any other.[/spoiler]

Potential Unleashed

[spoiler]In addition to Old Kai's Unlock Ability granting Gohan full access to all his developed capacities, Gohan is capable of pushing his power well-past those levels via his Potential Unleashed state. This state looks virtually identically to the base level of his Ultimate state, with the addition of a lock of hair hanging down over his forehead. He is also known as Mightiest Warrior and Strongest Warrior in this state.

With Potential Unleashed, just his base form could match the raw power of Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed). After Gohan resumed training with Piccolo and reached a higher understanding of his powers, his abilities evolved to such a level that he could fight on par with Super Saiyan Blue Goku, prompting his more experienced father further amplified his power via Kaio-Ken, albeit this let Goku defeat Gohan instantly.

Gohan no longer possesses his "Ultimate Gohan" states in Dragon Ball GT.[/spoiler]

Is this actually correct or is this complete nonsense? As far as I was aware, what it describes for the Old Kai Unlock Ability is what I and I'm sure the average fan thinks is just what Ultimate Gohan is meant to be. The Old Kai unlocked all his dormant power, Gohan then "transformed" into it and then he went on to fight Buu.

So why there's then this "in addition to" with this Potential Unleashed which supposedly was the one to fight Super Buu....I have no idea. This just seems like it should be the same thing to me.

Kurakaio

Re: Is the Old Kai Unlock Ability and the Potential Unleashed Form different?

Post by Kurakaio » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:34 am

Bullza wrote:I've meant to make this thread a couple times before but I've finally gotten around to it.

https://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Gohan

So on the Dragon Ball Wikia, on Gohan's page, under his Forms and Transformations, it lists the Old Kai Unlock Ability as one thing and the Potential Unleashed as another thing. This is what it actually has to say for both.

Old Kai Unlock Ability

[spoiler]This power-up is when the full extent of his dormant capacities are released. Gohan is also referred to as Ultimate Gohan (アルティメット悟飯 Arutimetto Gohan) in this state. This power up was achieved by a special ceremony performed by Old Kai. Although technically this ability is not exclusive to Gohan alone as the ceremony can be used to unlock anyone's sleeping powers, his was unusual in the amount of time it took to unlock due to his amazing potential.

Gohan activates this ability in a similar fashion to the Super Saiyan transformation, yet ultimately remained physically normal. As Old Kai explained, Gohan's manifested potential is so great, simply focusing it pushed his abilities well-beyond what his Super Saiyan forms can normally do. At the same time, once accessing his Unlocked power, Gohan's subtle differences are present to his appearances, including more pronounced facial features including sterner eyes, and is able to manifest a large white aura. Despite this state giving Gohan constant access to his most developed capacities, he still requires regular training to properly access this state and thus becomes weaker over time with lack of training like any other.[/spoiler]

Potential Unleashed

[spoiler]In addition to Old Kai's Unlock Ability granting Gohan full access to all his developed capacities, Gohan is capable of pushing his power well-past those levels via his Potential Unleashed state. This state looks virtually identically to the base level of his Ultimate state, with the addition of a lock of hair hanging down over his forehead. He is also known as Mightiest Warrior and Strongest Warrior in this state.

With Potential Unleashed, just his base form could match the raw power of Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed). After Gohan resumed training with Piccolo and reached a higher understanding of his powers, his abilities evolved to such a level that he could fight on par with Super Saiyan Blue Goku, prompting his more experienced father further amplified his power via Kaio-Ken, albeit this let Goku defeat Gohan instantly.

Gohan no longer possesses his "Ultimate Gohan" states in Dragon Ball GT.[/spoiler]

Is this actually correct or is this complete nonsense? As far as I was aware, what it describes for the Old Kai Unlock Ability is what I and I'm sure the average fan thinks is just what Ultimate Gohan is meant to be. The Old Kai unlocked all his dormant power, Gohan then "transformed" into it and then he went on to fight Buu.

So why there's then this "in addition to" with this Potential Unleashed which supposedly was the one to fight Super Buu....I have no idea. This just seems like it should be the same thing to me.
They are the exact same thing. They're distinguishing it's looks and power across both series.

In Z it is Super Buu levels of strength, and is identical to base.

In Super it is arguably Super Saiyan Blue levels of strength and adds a lock of hair hanging down to differentiate it from his base.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Well when he fought Buu he had the bang as well though he actually had that anyway.

So it's the same form at two different levels of strength and they're counting it as separate things?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Bullza wrote:Well when he fought Buu he had the bang as well though he actually had that anyway.
He had, but Ultimate Gohan's bang is different from base Gohan's bang.
Bullza wrote:So it's the same form at two different levels of strength and they're counting it as separate things?
Potential Unleashed is the name of the transformation that Gohan (Future Gohan and Xeno Goten) undergoes after having his dormant powers awakened by Old Kaioshin. I think I have seen this "Old Kai Unlock Ability" name in a video-game before but I'm not sure, so I can't really tell what's the deal with it, if it exists, that is.

Either way, using wiki as a source in 2018 it's just pure mess.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm

I thought that this was going to be about the Old Kai potential unlock versus Guru's, how Gohan didn't start out with the former at full power, unlike the latter which took him there.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Grimlock wrote:I think I have seen this "Old Kai Unlock Ability" name in a video-game before but I'm not sure, so I can't really tell what's the deal with it, if it exists, that is.
Budokai 2 calls it the Elder Kai Unlock Ability.

Off the top of my head I don't know what other games call it. I just thought the two things were the same thing but with a different name.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Bullza wrote:Budokai 2 calls it the Elder Kai Unlock Ability.

Off the top of my head I don't know what other games call it. I just thought the two things were the same thing but with a different name.
And does it make Gohan turn Ultimate? If so, then that's exactly what it is, both are the same thing with different names. Budokai games are from Dimps. "Potential Unleashed" is used in Xenoverse and Heroes, both from Dimps too.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Grimlock wrote:And does it make Gohan turn Ultimate? If so, then that's exactly what it is, both are the same thing with different names. Budokai games are from Dimps. "Potential Unleashed" is used in Xenoverse and Heroes, both from Dimps too.
It does then him into Ultimate form. The paragraph I listed in the OP does say that Older Kai Unlock Ability is what is referred to as Ultimate Gohan.

Why they say that the Potential Unleashed is something in addition to that doesn't really make any sense to me.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Old Kai Unlock and Potential Unleashed are the same thing- no idea why the wikia lists them as different things.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Potential Unleashed is this:

Kuririn has the same ability in the Budokai games.

EDIT: Nevermind. That ability is called "Unlocked Potential" in the Budokai games.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 pm

In the Dragon Ball Super manga, Trunks says that he had the ritual done for him as well except by Supreme Kai instead of Elder Kai.

Of course he doesn't have the "Ultimate state" like Gohan. So is the ritual meant to be sort of like what Guru did and the Potential Unleashed is meant to be something greater that's superior to Super Saiyan 2?

Or s it just a different ritual in that instead of having his power unlocked he got that healing ability instead?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:57 am

Kaioshin's ritual was specifically for turning Trunks into his apprentice. The ability to heal came from that. Since we see Trunks training with the Z-Sword, my guess is Future Kaioshin (like Present Kaioshin) assumed it held the greatest power.

Old Kaioshin's ritual was to draw out all of Gohan's power and take it far beyond his limits. I know Beerus' existence changes things, but Old Kaioshin saying the enemy was fearful of his ability at least implies that it's unlike anything else.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~