Fighting maneuvers in Dragonball make no sense

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Re: Fighting maneuvers in Dragonball make no sense

Post by Vertical » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Vertical wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
It does matter though, as pulling back just lets you strengthen it further.
No, I'm saying if they didn't gain significant power output from pulling back, they wouldn't.

So, whether you can charge the punch with ki or not, you still want to pull it back and throw it again, as opposed to just pushing through after already being 90% extended.
And what if he throws two or more punches simultaneously? You can't block both with the same finger.
That's the point though... if you're so much faster and more powerful you can. Throw two punches at the same time... a finger comes up and completely stops the first fist, then moves to the other before it's much, if any, closer.

You argue that why couldn't the first punch then continue. Simple: It has lost all momentum. If they want momentum in their punch (which they clearly do or they'd not pull back before punching), then they have to retract and try again.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:24 pm

Vertical wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Vertical wrote: No, I'm saying if they didn't gain significant power output from pulling back, they wouldn't.

So, whether you can charge the punch with ki or not, you still want to pull it back and throw it again, as opposed to just pushing through after already being 90% extended.
And what if he throws two or more punches simultaneously? You can't block both with the same finger.
That's the point though... if you're so much faster and more powerful you can. Throw two punches at the same time... a finger comes up and completely stops the first fist, then moves to the other before it's much, if any, closer.

You argue that why couldn't the first punch then continue. Simple: It has lost all momentum. If they want momentum in their punch (which they clearly do or they'd not pull back before punching), then they have to retract and try again.
But the effectiveness of physically blocking one is proportional to the time spent blocking it. If the finger was only there for a nanosecond it wouldn't be able to stop all of the punch's momentum.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:55 am

Explains why we don't see these fighting manoeuvres in the real world
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:47 am

TheZFighter wrote:Explains why we don't see these fighting manoeuvres in the real world
Because they're mostly impossible in the real world. But my point is that even going by the setting's own internal logic, they still don't make sense.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:07 pm

If the finger was only there for a nanosecond it wouldn't be able to stop all of the punch's momentum.
Beerus's finger was only on Goku's face for a nanosecond and it sent him flying all the way around North Kaio's planet...

The amount of force required to stop the momentum of a single punch can't possibly be more than the amount required to send someone flying like that, especially considering that the four-armed alien was probably nowhere near as powerful as SSj3 Goku. If Beerus can send one of the most powerful fighters in the universe flying with a flick of one finger, then surely he can stop a punch with one finger too.
Explains why we don't see these fighting manoeuvres in the real world
Well, it's really just the same reason why we don't see people flying or shooting energy blasts in the real world. Real-world martial artists are just regular people with a lot of training to be really good at punching/kicking/etc... not superhuman. The best we can hope for, in terms of imitating something that a Dragonball character did, is breaking a lot of tiles like Mr. Satan. :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Pantalones wrote:
If the finger was only there for a nanosecond it wouldn't be able to stop all of the punch's momentum.
Beerus's finger was only on Goku's face for a nanosecond and it sent him flying all the way around North Kaio's planet...
It was longer than that, and, as I pointed out before, he actually applied force with it in that instance, not just blocked.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Vertical wrote:Once the punch is stopped, all the force behind it is lost. "Continuing" through with that punch would require starting from that stopped point, making it completely ineffective.
I´m sure this is an old post and nobody cares anymore, but do I really have to explain the concept of a one inch punch to anyone? I mean honestly, Goku even used it in RoF. The distance between the fist and the target does not matter as long as the punch is fast enough. This is a pretty basic martial arts move.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Vertical wrote:Once the punch is stopped, all the force behind it is lost. "Continuing" through with that punch would require starting from that stopped point, making it completely ineffective.
I´m sure this is an old post and nobody cares anymore, but do I really have to explain the concept of a one inch punch to anyone? I mean honestly, Goku even used it in RoF. The distance between the fist and the target does not matter as long as the punch is fast enough. This is a pretty basic martial arts move.
The majority of power behind any decent real life one-inch punch comes from the torso. The stored kinetic energy has to come from somewhere. Even the example you gave, Goku in RoF, is shown to be following this rule (look at his position/momentum post-punch).

Within the fictional DB universe, when a punch is blocked or dodged, the next punch thrown is thrown from the body, never from an extended position. It would seem you would have to hold a power advantage to be able to attempt anything different.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:42 pm

You know, you right About the RoF thing. I didn't even notice until now.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Vertical wrote:[
The majority of power behind any decent real life one-inch punch comes from the torso. The stored kinetic energy has to come from somewhere. Even the example you gave, Goku in RoF, is shown to be following this rule (look at his position/momentum post-punch).

Within the fictional DB universe, when a punch is blocked or dodged, the next punch thrown is thrown from the body, never from an extended position. It would seem you would have to hold a power advantage to be able to attempt anything different.

This wasn't the point I was making. I showing how distance from the target doesn't make the punch useless. Sure, its ineffective against someone of higher power and strength, but thats not when people use them. No one smart is gonna try a one inch punch in the middle of a fight If they think its not gonna work.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Vertical wrote:[

This wasn't the point I was making. I showing how distance from the target doesn't make the punch useless. Sure, its ineffective against someone of higher power and strength, but thats not when people use them. No one smart is gonna try a one inch punch in the middle of a fight If they think its not gonna work.
Also just blocking a punch for a short period of time won't block all of its momentum, since it takes time for the impact to travel down the attacker's arm. So Beerus' finger might block all of the momentum from the first few molecules of the alien's fist, but as he moves it right away all of the momentum from the rest of his arm would continue. Simply touching him with his finger doesn't instantly arrest all of the momentum in the entire arm.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Also just blocking a punch for a short period of time won't block all of its momentum, since it takes time for the impact to travel down the attacker's arm. So Beerus' finger might block all of the momentum from the first few molecules of the alien's fist, but as he moves it right away all of the momentum from the rest of his arm would continue. Simply touching him with his finger doesn't instantly arrest all of the momentum in the entire arm.
Unless Beerus is pushing his finger with enough force negate all movement of the fist. Considering how strong he is supposed to be, and how goku basically did that with trunks sword.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Also just blocking a punch for a short period of time won't block all of its momentum, since it takes time for the impact to travel down the attacker's arm. So Beerus' finger might block all of the momentum from the first few molecules of the alien's fist, but as he moves it right away all of the momentum from the rest of his arm would continue. Simply touching him with his finger doesn't instantly arrest all of the momentum in the entire arm.
Unless Beerus is pushing his finger with enough force negate all movement of the fist. Considering how strong he is supposed to be, and how goku basically did that with trunks sword.
I talked about that earlier - the animation just shows him holding it in place. Besides, if that were the case we would expect each arm the finger touched to be violently thrown backwards.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: I talked about that earlier - the animation just shows him holding it in place. Besides, if that were the case we would expect each arm the finger touched to be violently thrown backwards.
I´m not saying he pushes full strength, just enough so that it stops his hand. Don´t forget that beerus is trained by the best martial artist in the universe. He knows how to suppress power. But the fact that its not in the anime is a valid point.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 pm

This thread is dumb. In real life once a punch is blocked, all of its momentum is gone (just look at boxing and MMA matches). So theres nothing illogical about Beerus's finger blocking.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 pm

ricky84 wrote:This thread is dumb. In real life once a punch is blocked, all of its momentum is gone (just look at boxing and MMA matches). So theres nothing illogical about Beerus's finger blocking.
So because something happens in real life, it can happen in the dragon ball universe as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
ricky84 wrote:This thread is dumb. In real life once a punch is blocked, all of its momentum is gone (just look at boxing and MMA matches). So theres nothing illogical about Beerus's finger blocking.
So because something happens in real life, it can happen in the dragon ball universe as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its a fantasy/sci-fi series. Why wouldn't it be possible in DB?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:18 am

ricky84 wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Its a fantasy/sci-fi series. Why wouldn't it be possible in DB?
In real life, the block doesn't last only a tiny fraction of a second. If I threw a punch with all of my might, and an indestructible metal wall appeared touching my fist in the middle of the punch, but disappeared after a microsecond, I wouldn't even notice it. It wouldn't be there for long enough to effect anything. If it stayed there for a whole second, however, I would have a broken hand.