Fights that rehash elements from previous fights?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Fights that rehash elements from previous fights?

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Pretty self-explanatory thread. I'll list examples I can think of right now:

Goku Vs. Freeza: Goku uses a Kaio-Ken backed Kamehameha and then later a Genki Dama as his trump cards, just as he did the Vegeta fight.

Gohan Vs. Cell: The antagonist kills someone which triggers a Super Saiyan transformation, just like in the Freeza fight.

Any other examples?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Fights that rehash elements from previous fights?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Fused Zamasu vs. Vegeta and Future Trunks: Trunks engages Fused Zamasu in a desperate beam struggle. As he is about to lose, his dad comes in to help him and they do a Father-Son Galick Gun which pushes back the divine Holy Wrath of Fused Zamasu. This obviously resembles the Father-Son Kamehameha against Perfect Cell.

Fused Zamasu vs. Future Trunks: Trunks comes out of nowhere and cuts an enemy in half, just like he did with Mecha Frieza. Very onesided fight. Said enemy is then blasted to smithereens.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Ginyus vs heroes:
The side characters get matched up against a team of powerful alien conqueror antagonists, who are so dangerous that they must ally with another villain. While they can beat the small, green, big-headed minion(s) after some initial difficulties (with the villain allied by convenience putting on a particularly strong showing), they struggle against the big, powerful brute. They manage to put up a good fight and inflict some decent damage by using every dirty trick in the book; highlights include Gohan swallowing his fear and facing the brute directly, Krillin attacking the brute by surprise and getting in a good hit while he's busy beating the temporarily-allied villain, and the temporarily-allied villain playing dead before striking the brute with a powerful blast. However, it's all for nought and they're brought to their lowest point, all while the brute's comrade(s) just sit smugly on the sidelines and mock the heroes' efforts.

But then, Goku arrives (suppressed to a battle power of 5,000 both times, curiously enough) after a round of training and saves them just as they were about to die. He gives out senzus and then calmly walks over to confront the powerful brute, who is as cocky as ever. To everyone's surprise, be powers up and defeats the enemy easily; after doing so, he tosses him to the ground contemptuously and tells him to leave, only for Vegeta to execute the wounded foe to display his ruthlessness. (Goku's motion of breaking Burter's back and hoisting him over his head one-handed before throwing him down is a shot-for-shot recreation of Nappa's defeat too). Later, Goku takes on the brute's boss. The boss is many times stronger than his minions and gives Goku a hard time, but Goku is still able to overpower him with help from the Kaio-ken. However, the boss has a trump card that puts Goku on the back foot and necessitates intervention from Gohan and Krillin to defeat. In the end, the villains are defeated, but Goku is left battered and broken, which will leave him out of commission for the next round of fights, until he comes back to do the same thing.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Goku Vs. Daimao: Goku challenges Daimao and loses, goes up Korin's tower and becomes stronger, then wins rematch. Just like Tao.

The movies are pretty good are doing this too, such as:

Gohan Vs. Freeza: In DBZ Movie 12, Freeza returns and gets one-shot by Gohan, just like what Trunks did in the Android/Cell arc.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Ressurection 'F' saga

Just like in Z, Frieza is sensed by everyone and returns on Earth with army and upgraded. His army gets destroyed without doing anything and Frieza gets killed near his spaceship as well.

Goku vs Hit

Ripoff of Goku vs Pikkon

Vegito Blue vs Fused Zamasu

Similar to Gogeta vs Omega. They unfuse much sooner than expected and Zamasu gets destroyed by asspull spirit bomb like Omega.

Kale vs anyone

Do i really need to explain that?

Goku vs Baby

Baby is blasted to sun just like Broly in movie 10.

Gohan vs Bojack gang

Gohan turns SSJ2 and destroys Bojack gang with single kicks and punches
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:25 am

Yamcha Vs. Shen: Yamcha reveals his new technique, uses it to everyone's amazement, and then the foe tanks and defeats Yamcha. This is what happened in his match against Tenshinhan.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Freeza vs Trunks: the stronger villain from a previous arc comes back with the help of an older relative and is revealed to have survived his apparent death. He has become a cyborg, and is now even stronger than before. He has shown up to seek revenge on Goku for putting him in that state, even though his condition is largely self inflicted (Goku was going to offer him mercy, and he responded by trying to strike Goku while his guard was down). He intimidates all the side characters such as Krillin and Yamcha with his new power, but his revenge plan is cut short when he runs into the second strongest hero. He engages said hero in battle, but cannot touch him no matter how much he tries. After the hero warns him to leave in peace and is ignored for it, the villain suffers a humiliating defeat, with the hero defeating him in a single blow. The second strongest hero then calmly approaches his suitably-intimidated relative and tells him to leave. This handily establishes how irrelevant the previous villain is compared to the current villain.

Am I talking about Trunks vs Freeza, or Tenshinhan vs Tao Paipai?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Freeza vs Trunks: the stronger villain from a previous arc comes back with the help of an older relative and is revealed to have survived his apparent death. He has become a cyborg, and is now even stronger than before. He has shown up to seek revenge on Goku for putting him in that state, even though his condition is largely self inflicted (Goku was going to offer him mercy, and he responded by trying to strike Goku while his guard was down). He intimidates all the side characters such as Krillin and Yamcha with his new power, but his revenge plan is cut short when he runs into the second strongest hero. He engages said hero in battle, but cannot touch him no matter how much he tries. After the hero warns him to leave in peace and is ignored for it, the villain suffers a humiliating defeat, with the hero defeating him in a single blow. The second strongest hero then calmly approaches his suitably-intimidated relative and tells him to leave. This handily establishes how irrelevant the previous villain is compared to the current villain.

Am I talking about Trunks vs Freeza, or Tenshinhan vs Tao Paipai?
Ten vs Tao, going solely by the description.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Goku fights a giant Piccolo in the 23rd Tenkaichi and a giant Vegeta (ape) in the following arc.

Cell can regenerate and absorb people and Buu can do the same.

It took Goku getting angry and transforming into a Ssj to beat Freeza, same thing with Gohan getting angry and finding Ssj2.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:57 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Every time. :lol:

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 am

Trunks sending a blast to broly during a father son Kamehameha to distract a villian leading to victory.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:21 pm

I miss when people said reference or homage instead of rehash.

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Gohan getting headbutted into bloodied forehead by Vegeta and by Cell.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.