Who is the most evil character in Dragonball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Who is the most evil character in Dragonball?

Post by ricky84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 pm

In my opinion it boils down to either Zamasu or Freeza. Any thoughts?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who is the most evil character in Dragonball?

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 pm

I guess it depends. Freeza knew he was committing evil. Zamasu was committing evil, but convinced himself he wasn't. They're both murdering planets full of people. Freeza presumably wouldn't kill everybody because his ego demands he have minions to serve him where Zamasu was gonna kill everyone but himself. By those standards Freeza's the less evil one imo as he'd leave some people alive, but depending on how unhinged Zamasu was could he be talked down by an equal or higher power in a way where Freeza could only be convinced to stop by threat of a greater strength that he would still plot a way around in the future.

They're each a different type of evil. Apples and oranges.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 pm

It's going to be all the characters who are evil incarnate. King Piccolo, Kid Buu, Omega Shenron.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 pm

Van Zant, that one douche who started shooting people random people & animals because he figured since everyone was possibly going to be killed by Boo anyway, he might as well just commit mass murder purely for the fun of it. Individuals like him actually exist in the real world so it's kinda disturbing to see something based in reality pop up like that in DB.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:21 am

Kid Buu&Omega Shenron
GT Fighter

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:37 am

I personally choose Zamasu (all versions) as the most morally bankrupted character in all of Dragonball. This is because while some characters are evil incarnate (Kid Buu, Omega Shenron, Janemba, etc.) or they were created to be evil (Cell, Evil 21, Future Androids, etc.), Zamasu, Freeza and Demigra all choose to be despicable psychopaths. But what makes Zamasu stand out even compared to those two is that he is also a self-righteous hypocrite on top of that. At least Freeza is honest about what kind of person he is lol.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:37 am

Zeno and Future Zeno

God knows ( :lol: ) how many innocent beings they erased for good during their rage bursts.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 am

Toriyama's writing and the staff/stock of his followers who don't think about improving his many times flawed stories.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:36 am

Kid Buu, Omega Shenron, maybe Janemba. Also Piccolo since he was pure evil half of nameless namekian.

Zamasu was sick, he had mental issues and he believed that he is doing something good.
He wasn't really aware of his actions. While the ones mentioned above were evil incarnations, they knew what they were doing, they were enjoying it.
If he was aware of being evil and still enjoying it then he could perhaps fit here.

Frieza was evil but also power hungry. I think what he enjoyed the most was ruling over people and planets. So he had some priorities different than just destroying everything and everyone. And DBS didn't help here with Frieza helping U7. Even if it was for his selfish desires he decided to cooperate.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:38 am

Zamasu. What makes him much scarier than Frieza, or any other villain, is that he saw himself as the hero of justice, the only one willing to bring ultimate order and everlasting peace to a chaotic and troubled cosmos. In his mind, the killing of all those mortals was a very unfortunate but necessary act to ensure the success of the so-called "Project Zero Mortals", a brilliant plan of Zamasu's making. He justified actual genocide with this reasoning, that a world free of mortal kind was preferable to a war-torn world gripped by the violence and ignorance of the stain of vile mortal kind, that does not learn from their mistakes, has grown beyond the reach of the Gods, and cannot be trusted. Times and times again, mortals have utterly defied the sacred laws of the Gods, considering themselves the true masteres of the cosmos. Just think the arrogant Bulma, who created a time machine, that committing a grave sin against the Gods. Zamasu, who was young, promising and pure, but also vengeful and prone to outbursts of emotion, couldn't let that stand. Something HAD to be done about it, lest the entire cosmos ultimately break apart, torn asunder by the senseless bloodshed and multiple heinous misdoings of the foolish mortal kind.

Even at the very end, when his own semi-immortal body was crumbling and falling apart, and he was turning into the very beasts that he so despised, Zamasu still saw himself as the champion of justice and order, cast aside by an ignorant society that did not comprehend the beauty of his noble ideals. That is why he cried for the sins of humanity, and for the belief that he was acting in the cosmos' best interests, so that all Gods could have a creation free of the subhuman garbage to live in. But even throughout the entire arc, Zamasu's resolve never faltered, he strongly believed, he was always convinced, that his actions were righteous, noble, glorious and necessary for the creation of a new paradise.

But what makes Zamasu even more tragic than Frieza or, well, any other Dragon Ball character for that matter? The fact that he was misguided by a foolish teacher who did not understand the plight that was afflicting his once pure heart. The fact that he was so intoxicated by his ideals of justice and order, that he tried to become their very manifestation of them. But it was already too late. When the soul of the defeat Fused Zamasu merged with the very fabric of the cosmos, he had already been reduced to nothing more than a crazed and bloodthirsty freak who desired only destruction. The cycle was complete. From a young God who desired to create a beautiful and serene pristine utopian world, he was reduced to a shadow of his former self, as he craved merely the utter annihilation of all.

Zamasu crossed a terrible threshold when he murdered Gowasu (that is why he took so long, he was immersed in thought, because he knew that once the gruesome deed had been done, there would be no turning back). But he justified it, again, with the fact that he believed that all his fellow Gods were useless, and that mortal kind had to be erased no matter what. But the greatest evidence of Zamasu's villainy is the fact that he chose not to wish for the erasure of all mortals with the Super Dragon Balls. He was a sadist, and a bloodthirsty murderer, and so he wanted to kill all mortals himself, he wanted to crush their hopes and spread world-wide fear and torment. That is also why even after an entire year, Earth wasn't destroyed yet, even though Zamasu could have easily blown it up in a second. Because he didn't want to give a quick and peaceful death to the trash that is mortal kind, he wanted to give them a long and painful demise, so that they could understand the consequences of defying him, the Supreme God of justice. Even then, he still justified it by saying that it was his divine duty as a God to destroy all mortals in the name of the Gods who refused to admit their failures. Merely using the Super Dragon Balls to get rid of mortals, would have been a despicable sign of cowardice in Zamasu's mind, and since he was a beautiful God, he couldn't allow it.

You could say that Zamasu willingly chose evil the moment he murdered Gowasu and betrayed everything that he stood for, but since he was too vainglorious and arrogant to just admit the evil deed like every other villain does, he still had the audacity to justify it and defend his war crimes.

This is why Zamasu is much more evil than Frieza. There is no grander type of evil, than evil disguised as good. The fact that Zamasu was able to tell himself that butchering children was fine, is evidence enough to me that he was the most unhinged psycopath in the history of Dragon Ball. At least Frieza gave a quick death to the saiyans, by just blowing up their worthless planet. Sadism, this is what defines Zamasu the most. He was willing to destroy his own body to win, as was proved by Goku Black, when he impaled his hand with a creepy smirk on his face, and embraced the pain, or Fused Zamasu, who called himself a worthless God, and took it way too seriously, since he even ordered his own Light of DIvine Justice to strike at him, turning half of his body into dead flesh. I mean, Buu, Frieza, and everyone else were just killing for fun. But Zamasu took it very seriously.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 am

Kid Buu and Janemba as they have no minds and their only goal in life is complete destruction. Freeza is a galactic dictator who although is as evil as one can get, he never went after the universe like Kid Buu did. Zamasu despite being evil on the surface was trying to do the right thing, the problem was him being misguided and too extreme.
SupremeKai25 wrote:Zamasu. What makes him much scarier than Frieza, or any other villain, is that he saw himself as the hero of justice.
That's why I don't think he was evil, at least not the type of evil we think about when using the word. Zamasu at his core was a good guy who wanted to bring peace and order to the universe but that kind of mission is very...tricky as it can go wrong if the person taken it out didn't have the right guidance which is exactly what happen with Zamasu. Zamasu kind of reminds me of Ra's Al Ghul from Batman and Pain from Naruto as they both wanted to bring peace to the universe and get rid of evil but their ways of going about it were very questionable to say the least. I think what leads characters like that down such a path is being around too much evil and not enough good which results in them developing a twisted image of the world and deciding it's their place to fix it. It also doesn't help seeing good people stand by watching the bad guys take over.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 am

Xeogran wrote:Zeno and Future Zeno

God knows ( :lol: ) how many innocent beings they erased for good during their rage bursts.
This.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:09 pm

I'd say Kid Boo and Zamasu.

Kid Boo is pure evil incarnate who inflicts carnage and mayhem wherever he goes just because he can and has no other really thought process beyond "destruction".

Zamasu's evil comes from misguided opinion of self-righteousness, while deluding himself into believe he is the answer to many morally ambiguous questions. But more importantly, he willingly went off the deep end, and ignored any kind of epiphany to me his own person needs, despite the havoc it was creating.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:10 pm

That's a tough question to answer because likely every character in the series could be reformed with some effort. Piccolo Daimao and Kid Boo are "pure evil" but they were both turned good through their reincarnations. Broly would be good-natured if he wasn't insane. Tao would stop killing people if he got a better job. Zamasu would be a greater God with proper guidance. Super Boo is easily influenced by the people he absorbs.

I'd say it's between Freeza and Cell probably because they're the most stubborn two. They would take decades to reform like Vegeta did (as we saw with Freeza in hell). Still, as much as Cell's pride in his perfection would hinder him, he would still have the cells of good people within him, which influence his personality. I'd say Freeza just because of his repeated insistence in refusing to turn good.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Actually, Zamasu couldn't be reformed. The moment he killed his master and crossed that terrible threshold, he was beyond redemption, too full of himself and intoxicated by his beliefs to convince himself that there was another path. The reason why Piccolo, Vegeta, the Androids, and even the conniving Frieza were "redeemed", is because they knew that they were doing bad things, but once they were shown that there could be another way, that they were not forced to be evil, they embraced that new, reformed nature of theirs. Except for Frieza, but at least in the Tournament of Power he realized the strength of trust, and that sometimes you need to rely on others to win. Plus he might help Goku and friends against Broly in the upcoming movie.

But Zamasu? He refused to understand anything that contradicted his own personal view of the world. So much so that he was tired of Gowasu's bullshit, and killed him. So much so that he would never allow his own fellow Gods to get in the way of his plans, and butchered them mercilessly. The fact that he believed that he was doing the right thing, that there was no other alternative, means that the chances of him finding redemption with Goku and his friends were extremely low.

I fully agree that Zamasu could have become a "proper" God if Gowasu had not been so tragically worthless. But after he stole Goku's body, and went on a genocidal rampage? There was no way. Indeed, Gowasu literally told Zamasu that there was still a chance to redeem himself, if he would merely stop his cruel actions, and use the Super Dragon Balls to resurrect everyone. But since Zamasu was too far gone, he merely laughed at Gowasu's genuine plea, and bragged about the fact that he destroyed them utterly.

If you thought that anime Zamasu is a genocidal lunatic, manga Zamasu is even worse. In the manga, Zamasu doesn't even start as a well-intetioned being with a pure heart, but is already set on his ways to get rid of mortal kind forcefully. Then, Zamasu tricks Gowasu into believing that he was willing to shake their hands and reconcile, only to stab him in the gut and whisper to him "Do you really think I would hesitate a third time?". This clearly proves that unlike any other villain, nothing that you could do, or say, would stop Zamasu. He was a crusader, he was a fanatic. He was ready to die for his self-righteous ideals, rather than see their flaws and return on the right path. The plan had already been set in motion, there could be no turning back. Which is what makes him much more fascinating and multi-layered than, say, a simple beast like Buu. And whereas anime Fused Zamasu still wanted to build a better world, manga Fused Zamasu was so lost in his spiral of madness, that he was willing to burn the entire galaxy to ashes around him if necessary, deeming himself to be the "ultimate life-form", and the "only being worthy of existence".

The creepiest thing is that Buu was an ancient demon, Frieza was the member of an imperialistic and tyrannical species, the Androids and Cell were machines built by a mad scientist, Piccolo and Vegeta were just minions really. So you expect these people to be evil. But Zamasu? He was a Kai, an exalted member of the most peaceful and benevolent species in the cosmos. Therefore, the fact that Zamasu could commit such heinous atrocities is appalling to say the least. And because of Zamasu's actions, I assume that the Kai species now has a bad reputation amongst the Gods, like a stain that will forever ruin their reputation and name.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:58 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Actually, Zamasu couldn't be reformed. The moment he killed his master and crossed that terrible threshold, he was beyond redemption, too full of himself and intoxicated by his beliefs to convince himself that there was another path.
So he could be reformed beforehand.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Doctor. wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Actually, Zamasu couldn't be reformed. The moment he killed his master and crossed that terrible threshold, he was beyond redemption, too full of himself and intoxicated by his beliefs to convince himself that there was another path.
I guess. It's kind of boring when you put it like that.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:36 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Zamasu. What makes him much scarier than Frieza, or any other villain, is that he saw himself as the hero of justice, the only one willing to bring ultimate order and everlasting peace to a chaotic and troubled cosmos. In his mind, the killing of all those mortals was a very unfortunate but necessary act to ensure the success of the so-called "Project Zero Mortals", a brilliant plan of Zamasu's making. He justified actual genocide with this reasoning, that a world free of mortal kind was preferable to a war-torn world gripped by the violence and ignorance of the stain of vile mortal kind, that does not learn from their mistakes, has grown beyond the reach of the Gods, and cannot be trusted. Times and times again, mortals have utterly defied the sacred laws of the Gods, considering themselves the true masteres of the cosmos. Just think the arrogant Bulma, who created a time machine, that committing a grave sin against the Gods. Zamasu, who was young, promising and pure, but also vengeful and prone to outbursts of emotion, couldn't let that stand. Something HAD to be done about it, lest the entire cosmos ultimately break apart, torn asunder by the senseless bloodshed and multiple heinous misdoings of the foolish mortal kind.

Even at the very end, when his own semi-immortal body was crumbling and falling apart, and he was turning into the very beasts that he so despised, Zamasu still saw himself as the champion of justice and order, cast aside by an ignorant society that did not comprehend the beauty of his noble ideals. That is why he cried for the sins of humanity, and for the belief that he was acting in the cosmos' best interests, so that all Gods could have a creation free of the subhuman garbage to live in. But even throughout the entire arc, Zamasu's resolve never faltered, he strongly believed, he was always convinced, that his actions were righteous, noble, glorious and necessary for the creation of a new paradise.

But what makes Zamasu even more tragic than Frieza or, well, any other Dragon Ball character for that matter? The fact that he was misguided by a foolish teacher who did not understand the plight that was afflicting his once pure heart. The fact that he was so intoxicated by his ideals of justice and order, that he tried to become their very manifestation of them. But it was already too late. When the soul of the defeat Fused Zamasu merged with the very fabric of the cosmos, he had already been reduced to nothing more than a crazed and bloodthirsty freak who desired only destruction. The cycle was complete. From a young God who desired to create a beautiful and serene pristine utopian world, he was reduced to a shadow of his former self, as he craved merely the utter annihilation of all.

Zamasu crossed a terrible threshold when he murdered Gowasu (that is why he took so long, he was immersed in thought, because he knew that once the gruesome deed had been done, there would be no turning back). But he justified it, again, with the fact that he believed that all his fellow Gods were useless, and that mortal kind had to be erased no matter what. But the greatest evidence of Zamasu's villainy is the fact that he chose not to wish for the erasure of all mortals with the Super Dragon Balls. He was a sadist, and a bloodthirsty murderer, and so he wanted to kill all mortals himself, he wanted to crush their hopes and spread world-wide fear and torment. That is also why even after an entire year, Earth wasn't destroyed yet, even though Zamasu could have easily blown it up in a second. Because he didn't want to give a quick and peaceful death to the trash that is mortal kind, he wanted to give them a long and painful demise, so that they could understand the consequences of defying him, the Supreme God of justice. Even then, he still justified it by saying that it was his divine duty as a God to destroy all mortals in the name of the Gods who refused to admit their failures. Merely using the Super Dragon Balls to get rid of mortals, would have been a despicable sign of cowardice in Zamasu's mind, and since he was a beautiful God, he couldn't allow it.

You could say that Zamasu willingly chose evil the moment he murdered Gowasu and betrayed everything that he stood for, but since he was too vainglorious and arrogant to just admit the evil deed like every other villain does, he still had the audacity to justify it and defend his war crimes.

This is why Zamasu is much more evil than Frieza. There is no grander type of evil, than evil disguised as good. The fact that Zamasu was able to tell himself that butchering children was fine, is evidence enough to me that he was the most unhinged psycopath in the history of Dragon Ball. At least Frieza gave a quick death to the saiyans, by just blowing up their worthless planet. Sadism, this is what defines Zamasu the most. He was willing to destroy his own body to win, as was proved by Goku Black, when he impaled his hand with a creepy smirk on his face, and embraced the pain, or Fused Zamasu, who called himself a worthless God, and took it way too seriously, since he even ordered his own Light of DIvine Justice to strike at him, turning half of his body into dead flesh. I mean, Buu, Frieza, and everyone else were just killing for fun. But Zamasu took it very seriously.
This is so true. No one in Dragonball is more evil than Zamasu.
Last edited by ricky84 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Zamasu is implied to have been a deranged narcissist even before the zero mortals plan started. There is no way anyone who done the things he did could have ever been previously good, let alone turn good later.
Last edited by ricky84 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 pm

It was frieza now it's zamusu he is just so evil
1. He stole goku's body Ginyu style
2. He killed Goku, his wife and goten
3. Genocide
Enough said