How well would Goku and Kuririn done without roshi's training at the 21st world tournament?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How well would Goku and Kuririn done without roshi's training at the 21st world tournament?

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm

How well would they have done ? I personally think they could have made it past the preliminaries or at least goku and Goku would have had a fighting chance against nam.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: How well would Goku and Kuririn done without roshi's training at the 21st world tournament?

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:12 pm

They would most likely still be within the parameters of "normal humans". The premise of Roshi's training was to build up their strength and allow them to breath through the ceiling of human limitation. Without those guidelines to abide by, they probably would have still been at a relatively subdued level of power by 21st tournament standards. Maybe they could build themselves up enough to handle the preliminary fodder. Our measuring stick for this scenario is Yamcha since the only training he presumably did was by himself without the philosophical ideal of trying to overcome human normality in power to motivate him -- even when accounting for some advanced gains that Goku and Krillin receive relative to Yamcha under these conditions, they wouldn't be much better.

As to how far they could make it in the eight man tournament, the only ones they could get past would be Ran-Fan and maybe Bacterian. I'm not entirely certain about the latter since he did maintain consciousness even after a serious blow from a Krillin who had actually trained under Roshi. On top of his pungent odour, Yamcha did hold Bacterian's raw strength in high esteem. If they did win, the fight might prove to be difficult. Krillin might be the only win who could defeat him since Goku's sensitive nose would act as a liability under these conditions. Giran is probably several tiers stronger at a minimum and Nam would be out of their league altogether (he's more comparable to Krillin and Goku when they have trained). Forget about Jackie Chun.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How well would Goku and Kuririn done without roshi's training at the 21st world tournament?

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:29 pm

From a physical perspective, Goku's "gifted child" aspect (aka he's a Saiyan with an unfair advantage) would mean he'd have a better shot at making it through the preliminaries thank Krillin. If we were to take this to the logical extreme and assume that Goku and Krillin don't meet as a result, then Krillin in all likelihood would have dropped out after discovering his opponent was one of the Orin Temple bullies (particularly if he sees how well Goku's doing, who at this point is a complete stranger). Goku on the other hand I could see making it past the preliminaries, but without the improvement to his strength nor Roshi's guidance on the mental aspects of martial arts, I can see him taking the fights even less seriously and being eliminated by Giran, especially when he uses the Merry Go-Round Gum because he would be unable to break free of it.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:46 pm

I can see him beating nam I don't think nam could survive a bullet and giren gave up against him after seeing his display of strength if he could avoid merry round gum he could beat giren . That would basically put him against yamcha in the finals (master roshi wouldnt enter no students no entree) I could see Goku beating yamcha if he wasn't hungry

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Goku would have definitely gotten through the prelims and into the quarter-finals at least, but I don't think he could stand up to Nam and definitely not Jackie Chun. Kuririn i'm not sure about. He probably would have been bullied out of participating from the Orin Temple monks.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Apslup wrote:Goku would have definitely gotten through the prelims and into the quarter-finals at least, but I don't think he could stand up to Nam and definitely not Jackie Chun. Kuririn i'm not sure about. He probably would have been bullied out of participating from the Orin Temple monks.
You never know if Goku was not using his battle power against nam he could have been taking it easy I just think if you shoot nam he dies