When did Roshi start to training and how strong is he in ToP?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

When did Roshi start to training and how strong is he in ToP?

Post by Apslup » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Straightforward questions really. I know people in the say "Roshi has been training in secret" throughout the ToP, but when did he start in order to get as strong as he was? I mean it can't have been before the 3 year time skip between Future Trunks' first arrival to the past and the attack of Artificial Humans 19 and 20, since he would have helped out against the Saiyan's Invasion and the Artificial Human's attack (he definitely would not have been able to go to Namek). My guess is the 7 year time skip between the Cell and Buu Saga.

Also I need to have somebody to compare him to in strength, since I'm just a bit confused when it comes to how much stronger he's gotten (maybe base Goten and Trunks in Super? I don't know).

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: When did Roshi start to training and how strong is he in ToP?

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 pm

The is no way he's as strong as base trunks and goten first off
I would put him tops at nappa level , He never powered up and shook the earth probs radditz level he would still be able to beat frieza soldiers , with the mafuba he could still be effective at the tournament. Now as for when he started training it's possible he never stopped from db. He could have just had less gains then the younger fighters.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Roshi could have started training after Beerus first arrived on Earth, DBS takes place over the span of 3 years so take your pick.

As for how strong Roshi has become, he's at least stronger than Tenshinhan. When he got possessed by Yurin's sorcery, Roshi was even strong enough to trade some blows with a mostly suppressed Base Goku which is still a hell of a feat for a mere Earthling. If we say that Base Goku was at 1% power when sparing against possessed Roshi then Roshi can be as strong as Boo arc SSJ2 Goku & Vegeta or Mister Boo even.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:07 am

theherodjl wrote:Roshi could have started training after Beerus first arrived on Earth, DBS takes place over the span of 3 years so take your pick.

As for how strong Roshi has become, he's at least stronger than Tenshinhan. When he got possessed by Yurin's sorcery, Roshi was even strong enough to trade some blows with a mostly suppressed Base Goku which is still a hell of a feat for a mere Earthling. If we say that Base Goku was at 1% power when sparing against possessed Roshi then Roshi can be as strong as Boo arc SSJ2 Goku & Vegeta or Mister Boo even.
Yeah I just watched roshi vs Goku idk if he's at Buu level but he's definitely strong

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:35 am

Ssjcell wrote:Yeah I just watched roshi vs Goku idk if he's at Buu level but he's definitely strong
Depending purely on how powerful some consider Base Goku to be at the ToP determines how strong Roshi is. I actually think that Roshi in his buff form is around Pre-ROSAT SSJ Gotenks level. Its not too much of a stretch since Roshi's buff form managed to make Frost respond with some strength in their fight, and Frost is stronger than anyone in the Boo arc...well except maybe Super Vegetto. If we go by the manga, Roshi is even as high as SSJB Complete Goku if he puts his all into a final maneuver.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:41 am

theherodjl wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:Yeah I just watched roshi vs Goku idk if he's at Buu level but he's definitely strong
Depending purely on how powerful some consider Base Goku to be at the ToP determines how strong Roshi is. I actually think that Roshi in his buff form is around Pre-ROSAT SSJ Gotenks level. Its not too much of a stretch since Roshi's buff form managed to make Frost respond with some strength in their fight, and Frost is stronger than anyone in the Boo arc...well except maybe Super Vegetto. If we go by the manga, Roshi is even as high as SSJB Complete Goku if he puts his all into a final maneuver.
And yet he can't fly I don't think Goku was taking him serious just having fun sparring with his old master again must have been a blast Goku never uses full power against opponents unless he feels he has to, I could potentially put him at perfect cell level I think that fits considering it was a suppressed Goku once goku charged up a Kamehameha he was toast

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:23 am

doesnt matter how long he has been training, if plotwants he can perfectly be base saiyan tier. I'm aware that this doesnt even makese any sense, but buff muten is near to the Goku that fought him with tenshinhan in power

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am

Well, he can break Katchi-Katchin, so he's at least stronger than base Gohan in the Boo arc. How strong base Gohan is I don't really know, but in-between the 3.000.000 and 120.000.000 battle power mark is our best guess. Which would make Roshi reasonably strong.

As to when he started training, he got stronger in those 48hours just like literally everyone else. Considering he was having trouble with Freeza soldiers who barely surpass 1k, and that was, what, 1 year before the ToP? Then his power boost is relatively recent.

Manga Roshi is stronger than Zeno as far as I'm concerned.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:03 am

I suppose he has been training since the end of first arc.

About strength, I think he's the weakest of the team, but he can manage this with his techniques.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Ssjcell wrote:And yet he can't fly I don't think Goku was taking him serious just having fun sparring with his old master again must have been a blast Goku never uses full power against opponents unless he feels he has to, I could potentially put him at perfect cell level I think that fits considering it was a suppressed Goku once goku charged up a Kamehameha he was toast
Of course Goku wasn't going all out, but for ToP Base Goku to need to exert even a tiny amount of strength against Roshi puts the Old Timer around some level in the Boo arc easily. Some people actually have ToP Base Goku > Super Vegetto which makes even Boohan dozens of times weaker than current Base Goku, and if Roshi was only pushing Goku to 1% power then Roshi could not be a far cry from Boohan's strength.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:40 pm

I'd say Roshi probably started training some time before Resurrection F, and strength-wise he seems comparable to Tien. Tien was confident he could fight Max Power Roshi before he got hit with the Thundershock Surprise. Goku easily deflected his Kamehameha and flattened Roshi when he felt like it, and Frost likewise easily handled him so he's not terribly strong.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:09 am

Considering the fact that by the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai and later in the Buu Saga he was still retired, and that he didn't tried to attack Beerus at Bulma's birthday despite Piccolo, Android 18 and Tien did - it's clear that he must've began training again after that event/arc. By the Resurrection 'F' Arc when we're introduced to him fighting again he's barely keeping up with Frieza's B-Rate Soldiers (in the movie he had to catch his breath after defeating dozens of them, in the anime he was struggeling with that green soldier who kept him in his place before he tried to motivate Krillin) who are weaker than a Saibamen in a 1 on 1 battle. So he's clearly no Ginyu Force tier back at RoF. Later on, he seemed to have powered up greatly with his "magical herb" due to him needed to be in the plot for the Tournament of Power - and with Yurin's talisman spell his buffed form is able to paralyze a SERIOUS Tien (who's much more powerful than the Tien from the Android Saga where he got to shine the most in Z) with his static shock.

The BS we saw him perform in the ToP itself was illogical, both in the anime and manga. He was given so many oppurtinities to shine against multiversal level fighters while a year prior IN-UNIVERSE the likes of Raditz could kick him in the face after he was worn out. So I can't even take it seriously and list him above 100% Final Form Frieza from Namek in the ToP or beyond 40,000,000. But after what they did with Android 17 I'm not surprised with how bad their writing is going to take us to. They'll hype anyone off the roof to sell merchandise.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 am

Roshi most likely started training shortly after the events of Battle Of Gods.

In terms of strength...

In the anime, it's made abundantly clear that Base Goku could flatten Roshi like a pancake if Goku put in any kind of effort into fighting him, so he far weaker than Base Goku, much like the rest of the earthlings are. And when he fights Final Form Frost, Frost specifically makes it clear that he has to hold back an incredible amount of strength just not kill Roshi by accident.

In the manga, the best we see from Roshi is him stopping Kahseral from attacking him and then swiping is legs and eliminating him. Kahseral also states that Roshi's power level is practically dirt.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Roshi most likely started training shortly after the events of Battle Of Gods.

In terms of strength...

In the anime, it's made abundantly clear that Base Goku could flatten Roshi like a pancake if Goku put in any kind of effort into fighting him, so he far weaker than Base Goku, much like the rest of the earthlings are. And when he fights Final Form Frost, Frost specifically makes it clear that he has to hold back an incredible amount of strength just not kill Roshi by accident.

In the manga, the best we see from Roshi is him stopping Kahseral from attacking him and then swiping is legs and eliminating him. Kahseral also states that Roshi's power level is practically dirt.
This summarizes the information we know about Roshi's power extremely well. In the anime at least, theres no reason to believe he is even remotely strong.