Why were there Frieza Army soldiers among the Grand Kai's Planet Fighters?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Why were there Frieza Army soldiers among the Grand Kai's Planet Fighters?

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 am

(In-Universe Discussion)
Yes, I'm aware this is filler, so let's avoid such comments. My question is as stated above in the title: Why were there Frieza Soldiers (sometimes even wearing Cooler's Armored Squadron's armor) among these selectable few GOOD warriors of the dead?

Was it just a preference of design since it was easier for the staff to draw these style of clothing for random background characters or do you believe some of them were actually of either random civiliazations from throughout time who just wore such uniforms OR Frieza's lackeys who died an heroic death and were invited to train there due to their good nature?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why were there Frieza Army soldiers among the Grand Kai's Planet Fighters?

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:12 am

From a production standpoint, I'm fairly sure it's because it's easier for them to draw. Among the crowd I also see what looks like a grown-up version of Chuu Lee from the Faster than Lightning episode, another looks like a frog character from a Japanese RPG I forget the name of, the dragon is basically Hire Dragon with Giran's body structure, one is an elf with Trunks' hair, another is basically Goku in Piccolo's turban and neck cloths, and another is basically Broly with Gohan's hair. Heck Toribot is used as a model for characters in two of the example shots! It seems that they mixed and matched different character attributes to make up the crowds in these scenes for efficiency.

In-universe, I think it's important to remember that Frieza recruited many different races into his services. One explanation are characters who have since redeemed themselves in Other World, or a culture who are good but adopted the armour used by Frieza's forces.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:18 pm

KBABZ wrote:From a production standpoint, I'm fairly sure it's because it's easier for them to draw. Among the crowd I also see what looks like a grown-up version of Chuu Lee from the Faster than Lightning episode, another looks like a frog character from a Japanese RPG I forget the name of, the dragon is basically Hire Dragon with Giran's body structure, one is an elf with Trunks' hair, another is basically Goku in Piccolo's turban and neck cloths, and another is basically Broly with Gohan's hair. Heck Toribot is used as a model for characters in two of the example shots! It seems that they mixed and matched different character attributes to make up the crowds in these scenes for efficiency.

In-universe, I think it's important to remember that Frieza recruited many different races into his services. One explanation are characters who have since redeemed themselves in Other World, or a culture who are good but adopted the armour used by Frieza's forces.
Remember that Gohan and Krillin wore the armor for a while on Namek. It's apparently pretty good armor - resistance fighters working against Freeza definitely would steal it if given the chance.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Remember that Gohan and Krillin wore the armor for a while on Namek. It's apparently pretty good armor - resistance fighters working against Freeza definitely would steal it if given the chance.
Oooh that's a good point! Plus it's possible the Saiyan armour is even manufactured in Other World, maybe by characters who can generate clothes like Piccolo can.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 am

The out-of-universe explanation is obvious, but strictly in in-universe terms... They might be people from species who were conquered by Frieza who attempted to rise up against him. While they obviously failed, it's not too farfetched to think that a lot of people made attempts and that some of those attempts were considered good enough for them to keep their bodies in death. I also like the idea Polyphase Avatron and KBABZ bring up. The armour is high-quality, and if Bulma could create new armour by analysing Vegeta's armour, I'm sure someone on the Grand Kai's planet could do something similar through either technology or magic. So you'd only need a few people to die and keep their bodies while wearing the armour in order for the armour to reach someone who can replicate it. Maybe there's a whole armour trade thing going on, where people buy replicated Frieza army armour in exchange for... whatever else there is to trade. I'm imagining a kind of RPG situation.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:14 am

Maybe those that were forced to be soldiers against their will were considered good and were able to go to other world? Technically if they wanted to do good but were forced against their will that would make them decent right? Or they were those that were in Freeza's army and when forced to do something violent against one of the oppressed planets they would refuse and get killed for it? I guess that would constitute a "heroic death" in that case so this would be pretty much what you said. It could be like you said that they are just members of random civilizations throughout time that just happened to wear this armor.

I guess I don't have any creative theories that weren't already mentioned lol. I really don't know.