What is the dumbest DB fan theory you have ever heard?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Re: What is the dumbest DB fan theory you have ever heard?

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:53 am

GT was Pan‘s dream..
GT Fighter

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:09 am

Belmod/Goku Black was the mysterious evil-doer who killed Jiren's parents, for different reasons. Jiren fought the evil-doer himself so he knows who that person was, and he never so much as suggests it was Belmod. Goku Black is from the future and did not have the means to travel to the past except for that brief moment where he followed the time machine.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:17 am

PFM18 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:-Yamoshi being the movie villain
I mean this was a pretty fair guess at the time. I wouldn't call this "one of the dumbest fan theories"
In hindsight it was since the same interview mentioned that Yamoshi was a good guy fighting evil saiyans, also i'm pretty sure a Super Saiyan God has red aura instead of green. To be fair i'm not blaming anyone who believed in it since Youtubers/Theorists seemed to spread it around like a fact at the time

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:41 am

CTAkuma wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:-Yamoshi being the movie villain
I mean this was a pretty fair guess at the time. I wouldn't call this "one of the dumbest fan theories"
In hindsight it was since the same interview mentioned that Yamoshi was a good guy fighting evil saiyans, also i'm pretty sure a Super Saiyan God has red aura instead of green. To be fair i'm not blaming anyone who believed in it since Youtubers/Theorists seemed to spread it around like a fact at the time
It just seemed too convenient that he explained Yamoshi in an interview and then it was announced too much later that there was a movie that would involve "the most Saiyans in history." I certainly initially got the vibe that this was going to be a movie about those events way back when. Obviously this became less likely when the teaser trailer came out and more details started to surface especially when they said that this movie would take place directly after the ToP
GT_Goten10 wrote:GT was Pan‘s dream..
Eh that'd be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind if that were the case

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 am

theherodjl wrote:I don't really know about theories per se, but fan misconceptions that become common belief to build theories off from are just the worst. Some of that crap like "Raditz & anyone stronger than him can move faster than the speed of light!" has been pushed for years, and it hasn't died down even though the first character confirmed in-universe to be faster than light is Dyspo. I thank the English dub for a lot of these misconceptions, I mean does anyone truly believe that Goku knows who Isaac Newton is, let alone that he studied apples falling from trees???
Dsypo said "throughout many battles, I've surpassed sound and light", not "I've just recently reach the speed of the light". Also, according to Herms98 Dyspo's super mode is more accurately translated as "Super Fast Speed Made" not "Light Speed Mode"

Raditz and any character above him being FTL is based on countless feats and common sense (like Suppressed Beerus flying through several galaxies in 2 minutes and 20 seconds, then using more speed and power against SSG Goku). It simply makes no sense for a character to a casual planet buster (let alone universal) and not be able to move at FTL speeds. I just doesn't work. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9UazyCxtM

I've yet to see anyone make a rebuttal to any of the arguments there.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 am

ricky84 wrote:
theherodjl wrote:I don't really know about theories per se, but fan misconceptions that become common belief to build theories off from are just the worst. Some of that crap like "Raditz & anyone stronger than him can move faster than the speed of light!" has been pushed for years, and it hasn't died down even though the first character confirmed in-universe to be faster than light is Dyspo. I thank the English dub for a lot of these misconceptions, I mean does anyone truly believe that Goku knows who Isaac Newton is, let alone that he studied apples falling from trees???
Dsypo said "throughout many battles, I've surpassed sound and light", not "I've just recently reach the speed of the light". Also, according to Herms98 Dyspo's super mode is more accurately translated as "Super Fast Speed Made" not "Light Speed Mode"

Raditz and any character above him being FTL is based on countless feats and common sense (like Suppressed Beerus flying through several galaxies in 2 minutes and 20 seconds, then using more speed and power against SSG Goku). It simply makes no sense for a character to a casual planet buster (let alone universal) and not be able to move at FTL speeds. I just doesn't work. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9UazyCxtM

Raditz = Beerus? :think:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:13 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ricky84 wrote:

That's a bad rebuttal. Not all FTL things are equally fast, logically. FTL could mean anything from 2x the speed of light to something crazy like over trillions of times the speed of light.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 am

PFM18 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
It just seemed too convenient that he explained Yamoshi in an interview and then it was announced too much later that there was a movie that would involve "the most Saiyans in history." I certainly initially got the vibe that this was going to be a movie about those events way back when. Obviously this became less likely when the teaser trailer came out and more details started to surface especially when they said that this movie would take place directly after the ToP
Lol i mean you hate GT so of course you wouldn’t mind it :D
GT Fighter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am

ricky84 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ricky84 wrote:

That's a bad rebuttal. Not all FTL things are equally fast, logically. FTL could mean anything from 2x the speed of light to something crazy like over trillions of times the speed of light.
It's just that you're mentioning the speed of Beerus as if it was somehow relevant for gauging the speed of Raditz, which makes no sense. Beerus is much stronger than the aforementioned Dyspo, so it makes sense for him to be at least as fast as him. But I don't see how you can extend that to someone like Raditz.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:45 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: In hindsight it was since the same interview mentioned that Yamoshi was a good guy fighting evil saiyans, also i'm pretty sure a Super Saiyan God has red aura instead of green. To be fair i'm not blaming anyone who believed in it since Youtubers/Theorists seemed to spread it around like a fact at the time
Lol i mean you hate GT so of course you wouldn’t mind it :D
"hate" is a very strong word :D

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
It's just that you're mentioning the speed of Beerus as if it was somehow relevant for gauging the speed of Raditz, which makes no sense. Beerus is much stronger than the aforementioned Dyspo, so it makes sense for him to be at least as fast as him. But I don't see how you can extend that to someone like Raditz.
The case of Raditz is simple. You see, Piccolo at the beginning of Z was able to casually blow up the moon in like 2 to 4 seconds. It takes light 1.2 seconds to reach the moon from Earth. Piccolo would then charge up a Special Beam Cannon (which boosted his ki over 4 times, so it should be 4x stronger and faster than the blast that blew up the moon) to shoot at Raditz and Raditz was able to dodge it at the last instant when Goku let go of his tail. That right there were clear FTL feats from both Piccolo and Raditz.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 pm

ricky84 wrote:Dsypo said "throughout many battles, I've surpassed sound and light", not "I've just recently reach the speed of the light". Also, according to Herms98 Dyspo's super mode is more accurately translated as "Super Fast Speed Made" not "Light Speed Mode"

The point is that the context of FTL DB characters began with Dyspo, and not just a bunch of characters that are only theorized by fans to be FTL because of a dubline.

How does Raditz being FTL make any sense??? The characters have been at the mercy of needing to have quick enough reaction time to dodge beams of light in literally hundreds of examples throughout the series. Hell, even ordinary humans can perceive the speed of Ki beams throughout DB. Here's a source that casts some doubt on Raditz, and many other so-called-FTL characters in DBZ.
http://www.dragon-ball-z.eu/these/Delir ... ues.en.php
One of the biggest claims of Raditz being FTL is that because Piccolo can send a Ki blast to the moon(over 200,000 miles) in seconds, and since Raditz was able to dodge Piccolo's beam then that is proof of FTL speed as early as the beginning of DBZ. However, if you notice how far apart the moon is from the Earth in various depictions ranging from the manga, anime, and video games then you will see that it is consistently drawn as being far closer to the Earth than 200,000+ miles away. Toriyama's illustration of the distance between the Earth & moon as seen from Freeza's ship is maybe only a couple thousand miles apart, a mere hundredth of what it is in reality. It's not just Toriyama who drew it like that too, Toei actually drew the moon even closer to the Earth in the anime depiction. Then we have the video games which does depict the moon farther away...but not by much, only by about one whole Earth's distance away. There are some other examples such as Boss Rabbit & his gang on the moon which appears to be only some thousand miles away from the Earth, and Planet Yardrat's moon being a stone's throw away from it. If the majority of artists that work on DB cannot get the real-life distance between the Earth & moon down accurately at all then why would other feats that involve thinking with science be any more accurate? Its the same deal with the sun which according to DB artists, is not 93,000,000 miles away like in real life if it only takes a beam of light/Ki seconds to reach it. I am failing to see where the "common sense" is when the feats do not confirm Raditz or any other character/power-up introduced before DBS is anywhere remotely close to FTL.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:46 pm

theherodjl wrote:
ricky84 wrote:Dsypo said "throughout many battles, I've surpassed sound and light", not "I've just recently reach the speed of the light". Also, according to Herms98 Dyspo's super mode is more accurately translated as "Super Fast Speed Made" not "Light Speed Mode"

The point is that the context of FTL DB characters began with Dyspo, and not just a bunch of characters that are only theorized by fans to be FTL because of a dubline.

How does Raditz being FTL make any sense??? The characters have been at the mercy of needing to have quick enough reaction time to dodge beams of light in literally hundreds of examples throughout the series. Hell, even ordinary humans can perceive the speed of Ki beams throughout DB. Here's a source that casts some doubt on Raditz, and many other so-called-FTL characters in DBZ.
One of the biggest claims of Raditz being FTL is that because Piccolo can send a Ki blast to the moon(over 200,000 miles) in seconds, and since Raditz was able to dodge Piccolo's beam then that is proof of FTL speed as early as the beginning of DBZ. However, if you notice how far apart the moon is from the Earth in various depictions ranging from the manga, anime, and video games then you will see that it is consistently drawn as being far closer to the Earth than 200,000+ miles away. Toriyama's illustration of the distance between the Earth & moon as seen from Freeza's ship is maybe only a couple thousand miles apart, a mere hundredth of what it is in reality. It's not just Toriyama who drew it like that too, Toei actually drew the moon even closer to the Earth in the anime depiction. Then we have the video games which does depict the moon farther away...but not by much, only by about one whole Earth's distance away. There are some other examples such as Boss Rabbit & his gang on the moon which appears to be only some thousand miles away from the Earth, and Planet Yardrat's moon being a stone's throw away from it. If the majority of artists that work on DB cannot get the real-life distance between the Earth & moon down accurately at all then why would other feats that involve thinking with science be any more accurate? Its the same deal with the sun which according to DB artists, is not 93,000,000 miles away like in real life if it only takes a beam of light/Ki seconds to reach it. I am failing to see where the "common sense" is when the feats do not confirm Raditz or any other character/power-up introduced before DBS is anywhere remotely close to FTL.
This is extremely fallacious to assume that Light speed started with Dyspo just because it was named "Light speed mode". Ki=Power,Durability and Speed stated by Toriyama

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:05 pm

A lot of "fan theories" I've come across have been misconceptions. Like Goku and Gohan already being SS2 after they exited the Room of Spirit and Time.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Back on topic:

- Goku Black being Goku's dead body from the future timeline.
- Offensive UI & Defensive UI
- That the intro's and outro's for the ToP reveal the order of elimination
- That the U7 saiyans willingly joined Freeza
- Kid Buu is the strongest Buu

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:12 pm

CTAkuma wrote:This is extremely fallacious to assume that Light speed started with Dyspo just because it was named "Light speed mode". Ki=Power,Durability and Speed stated by Toriyama
If Toriyama, Toei, or the video game companies decided that their characters had been FTL before then why wait until Dyspo appears to finally mention it??? Obviously the characters that are as strong as Dyspo are going to be able to move FTL as well, but for no one else to make even a single reference to the lightspeed scale across decades of storytelling until DBS makes it pretty clear to me.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:17 pm

theherodjl wrote:

1. I never said a thing about the dub, you are putting words in my mouth bro.

2. You are actually wrong about DB's moon bro lmao. According to Toriyama himself, DB's moon is actually even further away from the Earth than it is in real life, not closer. Being 380,000 miles away instead of 200,000 like in real life. http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/alo ... anBn/?ref=

That debunks your poor attempt at downplay. Using inconsistent images of the Earth's distance to the moon to make your point doesn't work either.

Also, saying Dyspo is the first FTL character because of his transformation being called "Super Light Speed Mode" (which is actually a mistranslation according to Herms98) is an example of the Naming Fallacy. I could just as easily say Tien in the 22th Tenkaiichi is was the FTL character because he had an attack called Light Speed Fist, or that Android Saga Vegeta was the first universe buster because of his Big Bang Attack.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:19 pm

theherodjl wrote:If Toriyama, Toei, or the video game companies decided that their characters had been FTL before then why wait until Dyspo appears to finally mention it???
Because its a gimmick they went ahead and gave to make him unique, also that's not the name, it's called "highest speed mode". Even if the naming convention says that i guess that makes "Big Bang Attack" an Universal attack from Android saga Vegeta
Obviously the characters that are as strong as Dyspo are going to be able to move FTL as well, but for no one else to make even a single reference to the lightspeed scale across decades of storytelling until DBS makes it pretty clear to me.
I guess that means every character was just a planet buster through DBZ since scaling does not exist.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:48 pm

ricky84 wrote:1. I never said a thing about the dub, you are putting words in my mouth bro.

2. You are actually wrong about DB's moon bro lmao. According to Toriyama himself, DB's moon is actually even further away from the Earth than it is in real life, not closer. Being 380,000 miles away instead of 200,000 like in real life. http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/alo ... anBn/?ref=

That debunks your poor attempt at downplay. Using inconsistent images of the Earth's distance to the moon to make your point doesn't work either.

Also, saying Dyspo is the first FTL character because of his transformation being called "Super Light Speed Mode" (which is actually a mistranslation according to Herms98) is an example of the Naming Fallacy. I could just as easily say Tien in the 22th Tenkaiichi is was the FTL character because he had an attack called Light Speed Fist, or that Android Saga Vegeta was the first universe buster because of his Big Bang Attack.
1. Never said that you in particular said anything about the dub, bro.

2. Objection! He said it was 300,000 kilometers away, not miles. He also drew the moon as being a few thousand miles away in this very same scene he is talking about so either he looked up the distance of the moon in a physics book then completely forgot about it afterwards, or he simply doesn't know what 300,000 kilometers from the Earth to the moon looks like. I'm willing to bet its the former since he has an awful memory.

"Debunks"??? All of the examples I listed are consistent with neither Toei or Bandai depicting the distance as massively different from Toriyama's art, just handwaving that away because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't mean that it's inconsistent or false, and shouldn't be taken into account.

I'm not arguing that because Dyspo has a move that specifically labels lightspeed then that means he only is lightspeed with just that technique, I'm just going by the general fact that Dyspo is stated to be faster than light by Marcarita. Dyspo probably doesn't need the technique to be FTL, but its worth noting that he may not be massively FTL without it.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Because its a gimmick they went ahead and gave to make him unique, also that's not the name, it's called "highest speed mode". Even if the naming convention says that i guess that makes "Big Bang Attack" an Universal attack from Android saga Vegeta

I guess that means every character was just a planet buster through DBZ since scaling does not exist.
Not a good comparison since Vegeta never claimed that the attack induced a big bang, but that it was just a powerful move. Dyspo's technique on the other hand can be taken literally since he is actually confirmed to be FTL already. You're comparing a hyperbole to a confirmation.

What now? Various characters stated that they could planet bust, and it was shown that they could. Meanwhile, we have only one character stated to be of a specific level of speed besides just "fast".