Did Nail have his dormant power unlocked?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Did Nail have his dormant power unlocked?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Did he? It's hardly implied that Guru did it, but it would justify Nail's power level being so high.

The problem is, it would imply Kuririn far surpassed Nail, since his official BP by V-Jump is 75,000... How is that possible? A human far outstripping a namekian's dormant power?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Did Nail have his dormant power unlocked?

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:57 pm

I can buy Kuririn's dormant power surpassing Nail's. He IS one of the greatest martial artists on Earth, and it's not like the Namekians are an inherently powerful race. Piccolo and Nail seem to be the exception to the rule, and Piccolo wasn't even all that powerful until he merged with Nail. Granted, he was split from Kami at the time and their fusion skyrockets Piccolo's power, but I'm sticking with him and Nail being anomalies.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Considering how one source of supplementary material regarding power levels states that Pilaf is x4 stronger than Goku at the beginning of DB, I wouldn't put too much faith in power levels determined by anyone except for Akira Toriyama.
As for Nail receiving Saichoro's power-unlocking technique, he probably received it. I imagine that Freeza & his minions would've made Saichoro use the technique on Nail if he hadn't already done it, it would be downright stupid to not use it when such a powerful foe was making short work of their race.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:11 am

Considering the fact that nail was 10 times stronger than the strongest namek shown in the manga and he was guru's right hand man I would say it stands to reason that guru unlocked his potential.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:38 am

The thing that makes me skeptical about this is the fact that the potential unlock wasn't just an all at once wellspring of power. It gradually increases the recipient's power manifold over the course of hours to days. Despite not being a Saiyan, Krillin's power went from 1500/1780 all the way up to 75,000 -- that's a 42/50x increase. Just the initial wellspring would not have painted his base strength in a very appealing light as it would imply that it amounted to something measly like 4850 if using the standards of Krillin and Gohan's initial boost. That's not much bigger than what the average domesticated Namekian warrior boasted, and Nail is supposed to represent this exclusivist standard of pure warrior who has had his fighting instincts honed throughout his entire life.

If Nail had really been given the potential unlock then I suspect he would have at least been strong enough to have a legitimate chance against Freeza in his first form. The ramifications this would have for the original storyline may have been somewhat pronounced for that arc. Piccolo might have ended up as strong as Goku did should they still fuse. Freeza may have ended up needing to transform earlier than expected. Assuming Vegeta receives the same zenkai boost as in the manga, he would have continued to remain the ancillary fighter sitting off to the side, which may have resulted in him continuing to live as Freeza's attention would still be preoccupied with Piccolo.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm

V-jumps number is not canon. Nothing indicates Krillin reaching much more than 20,000. Krillin probably trains more than Nail so that could also be a reason.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:58 am

Nothing seems to contradict the number offered. Vegeta made a note of Krillin's power steadily rising as they were confronted with Freeza. If Krillin is incapable of even handling the likes of Zarbon (human form) or Dodoria then I doubt he would have been considered for any participatory role against Freeza, which Vegeta did intend for him to have.

Concerning Nail -- we aren't given any specific information on Nail's day-to-day activities. It's possible he could train rigorously throughout the days in order to prepare for the duty of guarding the Grand Elder. It's presumptive, yes, but would be coincident with the position and implications that Nail has.

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 am

It could be either for me. I could totally see Nail being asked if he wanted to have his Potential Unlocked during his time working with Guru, but I think that he would have declined this offer (I've always seen Nail as somebody who prefers to accomplish things himself and not have help from others since he's always seemed like a lone wolf kind of character, making him kind of similar to Vegeta in that sense).

However I do think he may have had his potential unlocked since as mentioned before, Namekians aren't really that strong of a race (With Nail and Piccolo being the exceptions).

While I do believe it could go either way, I'm leaning more towards him not having his potential unlocked due to his prideful nature.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 pm

His job is to guard Guru with his life.
Being stronger would better allow him to do that.
We have no indication that it costs Guru lifepsan or anything like birthing new namekians does. So Guru has no reason to not do it.
He certainly has no reason not to do it when he sends Nail off to fight the Ginyus.

My headcanon is Piccolo also inhereted the unlock, either instantly or it got to work with a slow release (like it was for Kuririn and Gohan) upon merging with Nail.
This makes his large power up power up easier to swallow, part Kaio training, Part greater than the sum of the parts fusion with Nail, AND a potential unlock for Piccolo!
It also makes Piccolos kicking of Freeza and survival of the death beam more plausable, he's stronger than he was when he fought 2nd form Freeza.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am

OhHiRenan wrote:I can buy Kuririn's dormant power surpassing Nail's. He IS one of the greatest martial artists on Earth, and it's not like the Namekians are an inherently powerful race. Piccolo and Nail seem to be the exception to the rule, and Piccolo wasn't even all that powerful until he merged with Nail. Granted, he was split from Kami at the time and their fusion skyrockets Piccolo's power, but I'm sticking with him and Nail being anomalies.
Namekians are pretty strong actually. Those 3 Namekians that fought Freeza's henchmen were 3000 each.

More than Raditz who was a mid level soldier in Freeza's army. A power level of 3000 wouldn't be elite but it would be pretty decent in the food chain.

Not to mention Nail was stronger than the vast majority of Saiyans who lived on planet Vegeta.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl