Android 17 has one of the most tragic storylines in Dragonball

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Android 17 has one of the most tragic storylines in Dragonball

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 am

He starts out as a delinquent. Not quite 'evil' but clearly on the wrong path. He gets awakened by Gero and get's absorbed by Cell a few days later which must feel horrible. Later on he's revived and lives a happy life as a forest ranger and even has a family. He wins the TOP, saving the universe only for him to later on turn on his former friends, kill Kuririn, fuse with the 17 from hell, become Super 17 and die. The only solace we get is that he might have allowed 18 to finish him of.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Android 17 has one of the most tragic storylines in Dragonball

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 am

Jord wrote:He starts out as a delinquent. Not quite 'evil' but clearly on the wrong path. He gets awakened by Gero and get's absorbed by Cell a few days later which must feel horrible. Later on he's revived and lives a happy life as a forest ranger and even has a family. He wins the TOP, saving the universe only for him to later on turn on his former friends, kill Kuririn, fuse with the 17 from hell, become Super 17 and die. The only solace we get is that he might have allowed 18 to finish him of.
Why are you assuming the events of GT occur in the same continuity as Super?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:38 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Both are still part of story and even though GT and Super taking place in the same continuity makes no sense, nothing ever stated they are separate.
Official timeline includes both Super and GT with no mention of GT being alternative route.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:43 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Both are still part of story and even though GT and Super taking place in the same continuity makes no sense, nothing ever stated they are separate.
Official timeline includes both Super and GT with no mention of GT being alternative route.
But the plots are contradictory and mutually exclusive. And whenever any kind of media uses both of them (like Xenoverse and Heroes) they always go the alternate timeline route. It's obvious that the very 17 from GT and the one from Super are different characters.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Many characters have tragic storylines in Dragon Ball. A lot, actually. I'd say that the inhabitants of the Future Trunks' timeline have the most tragic storyline in all of Dragon Ball. Zamasu, Bulma, Gohan, Yajirobe, etc. Their souls were all erased from existence. They are nothing now, and no one will remember them or their deeds, so it's as if they never even existed in the first place, which is a chilling thought, don't you think? No one, not even a murderer like Zamasu, deserves such a terrifying fate in my opinion.

Besides, wasn't Android 17 wished back to life when Goku restored the lives of those who did not deserve to die at the hands of Super 17 and Omega Shenron? Since he technically did nothing wrong as he was being mind-controlled.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:30 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Besides, wasn't Android 17 wished back to life when Goku restored the lives of those who did not deserve to die at the hands of Super 17 and Omega Shenron? Since he technically did nothing wrong as he was being mind-controlled.
You're right, but it wasn't directly mentioned in series which is why some people are confused.
GT Perfect Files stated that #17 was indeed brought back to life.

Maybe if it was actually said in series people would stop saying that there is contradiction between Super and GT because "#17 is good in Super".
I mean there are many contradictions between series, but #17 being good is not one of them. He was already good in Buu saga, both anime and manga.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:41 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Jord wrote:He starts out as a delinquent. Not quite 'evil' but clearly on the wrong path. He gets awakened by Gero and get's absorbed by Cell a few days later which must feel horrible. Later on he's revived and lives a happy life as a forest ranger and even has a family. He wins the TOP, saving the universe only for him to later on turn on his former friends, kill Kuririn, fuse with the 17 from hell, become Super 17 and die. The only solace we get is that he might have allowed 18 to finish him of.
my thoughts exactly....

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 pm

The matter of 17 and 18 exiting stasis as bloodthirsty murderers is never really accounted for in a satisfactory way to my knowledge (as nothing actually changes from pre-Cell to post-Cell regarding their minds, bodies, "programming" if you will). It's implied that they're somehow conditioned or brainwashed into killing Goku, but ultimately they betray Gero and act entirely of their own accord for as long as we're privy to their story. I can't, therefore, come to terms with regarding 17's story as "tragic" given it's pretty plaintive that he was something of a psychopath, or at the very least extremely disturbed - otherwise, his motivations and demeanor seem to change at the plot's convenience.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃