What are some battles in the manga you wished were added or fleshed out more?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What are some battles in the manga you wished were added or fleshed out more?

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:50 am

Just manga only. I know the manga can only cover so much as far as battles and can only have so much content to present to the reader.

I feel like the battles below should've been more fleshed out though,

1. Goku vs Ginyu - this battle was basically ginyu sneaking goku, then letting him go then shooting his big blast that worried goku then body change. I would've rather seen them fight, ginyu getting creamed then doing the body change. I feel like this way would be more believeable. Ginyu just seemed like a big ass coward here

2. vegeta vs first form frieza - all we see is them holding hands then frieza transformng into his second stage. Instead of that show them actually fighting and give vegeta a PL of 500k and actually landing some blows on the tyant.

3. gohan vs dabura - for obvious reasons

4. piccolo vs 2nd form and 3rd form frieza - by far my worse here. i REALLY think piccolo should've beaten the crap out of 2nd form frieza then he powers up to his maximum and has the upper hand on 3rd form frieza until he gets his ass whipped sevwewlt. Pi

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What are some battles in the manga you wished were added or fleshed out more?

Post by Desassina » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:25 am

Goku vs. 19, but I think that it had a reason to be over, because its purpose was to show his heart disease.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What are some battles in the manga you wished were added or fleshed out more?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm

• Bardock vs Freeza - For obvious reasons.
• Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs Buu - It's the best filler fight, why the hell it didn't happen in the manga?
• Gohan vs Dabura - Seriously... What form was Gohan using it? Super Saiyan (lack of lightnings) or Super Saiyan 2 (hairstyle)?
• Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta vs Buu - At that time, Vegeta was still only used to get beaten by the villains, and so this affect his battle against Buu. Too short.

I think that's all.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Yamcha vs Roshi: I know they wanted to make Roshi impressive but it would be nice if the fight was less one sided like maybe have Yamcha have difficulty hitting Roshi until he does the Wolf Fang Fist because Roshi wouldn't be aware of it and then have Roshi do something to out do him.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Waluigiman wrote:Yamcha vs Roshi: I know they wanted to make Roshi impressive but it would be nice if the fight was less one sided like maybe have Yamcha have difficulty hitting Roshi until he does the Wolf Fang Fist because Roshi wouldn't be aware of it and then have Roshi do something to out do him.
Roshi was too far above yamcha seriously for any move to make a difference its like when frieza was fighting Vegeta and veggie couldn't hit him with a blast

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Jackie Chun vs Tenshinhan: It's true Chun confessed to his opponent having the upperhand, but what we know of his abilities demonstrated back in the 21st tournament leads me to believe that he still had the means to have a solid hope for opposing and perhaps even winning against Tenshinhan.

Tenshinhan vs Drum: Why is it that Tenshinhan only thought to use physical hand to hand combat without using any of the techniques he showed in just the last arc? I do believe Tenshinhan could have at least taken Drum down if he remembered the arsenal he has to fight with. Of course, Toriyama may have felt it important to give Goku his standing ovation when appearing on the battlefield by killing Drum in just one blow. Having Tenshinhan narrowly defeat that enemy right before Goku shows up without having had his designated target practice dummy would have flown in the face of the pedestaling that evidently needed to happen.

Piccolo Jr vs Hero (Kami): Obviously Piccolo was the superior of the two, but it would have been interesting to see how the fight panned out with Piccolo using only his tournament designated power.

Vegeta vs Dodoria and Zarbon (humanoid): Not sure how this one could have been executed without slowing down the flow of events like Zarbon's establishment of other species having transformations through his own transforming or Dodoria being killed off to help prompt Freeza into calling the Ginyu Force. To me, I just think it would have been interesting to see how Freeza's personal elite sentries deal with Vegeta.

Krillin and Gohan vs Ginyu-Goku: This one seemed to have a bit of a foregone conclusion but I would have enjoyed seeing how the pair ultimately win before contemplating on what to do with the thief who stole Goku's body.

Vegeta vs Piccolo (during Mecha Freeza's arrival): Such a fight seems like a fun interesting hypothetical that never got to come fruition. Furthermore, if they were ever going to fight at relatively even level then this would have probably been the best opportunity for it.

Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, and Tenshinhan vs #18: #17 implied that his sister could have been overwhelmed if this scenario had panned out. I'm curious to see if there was truth to that claim. Surely with three contestable opponents (roughly) combined with a fighter notorious for his technique's power amplifier they could have mustered something.

Piccolo vs #17: Should go without saying. If he was earnest and used every technique at his disposal then I think Piccolo may have had a chance.

MSSJ Goku vs Cell Jrs: This is Goku after having eaten a sensu. Is there any chance for the Cell Jrs? Three of them would have been preoccupied with Vegeta, Trunks and Piccolo. The rest might be forced to pool their fighting resources together just to do anything against this hypothetical Goku.

SSJ2 Gohan vs Super Perfect Cell: Again, another obvious match up that gets talked about quite often. People are all over the place when it comes to interpreting where both fighters stood in relation to one another at full power.

Those are a good number of the fights I can think of that I wish had gotten expanded upon.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
Waluigiman wrote:Yamcha vs Roshi: I know they wanted to make Roshi impressive but it would be nice if the fight was less one sided like maybe have Yamcha have difficulty hitting Roshi until he does the Wolf Fang Fist because Roshi wouldn't be aware of it and then have Roshi do something to out do him.
Roshi was too far above yamcha seriously for any move to make a difference its like when frieza was fighting Vegeta and veggie couldn't hit him with a blast
There a reason this is here because I wish there was more to it.

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Goku v Majin Vegeta:

The anime really lengthened it out by adding tons of new amazing scenes, but in the Manga it only lasted 2 chapters (Chapter 458 "Two Deadly Battles" and Chapter 459 "Countdown") and the battle wasn't even the main focus of the Chapters. For the most anticipated rematch of entire franchise, the Manga really came up short.

Tenshinhan vs Taopaipai:

This battle also only lasted 2 chapters (Chapter 169 "Tenshinhan and TaoPaiPai" where it only got started at the end of the chapter and Chapter 170 "The Hitman Tao Pai Pai's Struggle") and had a lot of importance for Tenshinhan, since he used to aspire to be just like Tao, but he's now seen the errors of his ways and needs to show Tao and Tsuru-sennin that he's better than them. For such an important battle for Tenshinhan and the end of his Character Arc from a wanna-be Assassin to future Z-Fighter, it did feel underwhelming and one-sided (especially since Tao was disqualified almost immediately for using his Hidden Blade and Tenshinhan just owned him then and there).