Could Super Saiyan 3 be mastered?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Could Super Saiyan 3 be mastered?

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 am

I know some consider the form to be obsolete and pointless due to Super's addition of God ki and the forms proceeding it, but this is just a what if that I find interesting, so I'm mainly asking from the perspective of the original 42 volumes of the manga. Could the same treatment Goku and Gohan applied to the original form be applied to Super Saiyan 3? What kind of gains could the user obtain from it?
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Could Super Saiyan 3 be mastered?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:36 am

I believe it could be: ultimately the main problem with it is what was solved with SS1, which is the energy draw to maintain the form itself. It would obviously be a much more (pardon my language) Herculean task however because the energy draw of SS1 was low enough to the point that it was never mentioned prior to Goku and Gohan tackling it, whilst Super Saiyan 3's power draw is a significant and recurring problem that is mentioned straight out of gate.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:I believe it could be: ultimately the main problem with it is what was solved with SS1, which is the energy draw to maintain the form itself. It would obviously be a much more (pardon my language) Herculean task however because the energy draw of SS1 was low enough to the point that it was never mentioned prior to Goku and Gohan tackling it, whilst Super Saiyan 3's power draw is a significant and recurring problem that is mentioned straight out of gate.
That's almost exactly how I thought of it! Like you said, obviously it'd be a much harder and grittier task to take on, but I wouldn't consider it impossible. The only way I could see one taking on such a task is in the ROSAT. I don't know if the mortal realm could handle it.

Moreso, It'd be crazy to think of Goku or someone else being in that form 24/7, treating it like a base form.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:59 pm

I personally believe that it can be mastered to a degree . It can at least become what super Saiyan two was to Gohan vs cell . Gohan unleashes a super Kamehameha to vegeta's astonishment he wasn't drained whatsoever compare that to Goku vs Buu when Goku used a Kamehameha vs Buu and it completely drained his stamina.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I believe it could be: ultimately the main problem with it is what was solved with SS1, which is the energy draw to maintain the form itself. It would obviously be a much more (pardon my language) Herculean task however because the energy draw of SS1 was low enough to the point that it was never mentioned prior to Goku and Gohan tackling it, whilst Super Saiyan 3's power draw is a significant and recurring problem that is mentioned straight out of gate.
That's almost exactly how I thought of it! Like you said, obviously it'd be a much harder and grittier task to take on, but I wouldn't consider it impossible. The only way I could see one taking on such a task is in the ROSAT. I don't know if the mortal realm could handle it.
If it can handle SSG, SSB and UI, it can handle SS3. For me the main problem is that you cannot train for solving its stamina in Other World, because Goku seemed to not even be aware of just HOW MUCH it drains his energy compared to SS1 and 2.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Technically speaking, I'm sure ANY form could be mastered if given enough time and training.

For example, just keep a bag of Senzu Beans on hand and crank up that SS3 form constantly until your body adapts, rinse and repeat. You'll stick look kinda stupid with the long hair (I think it looks kinda stupid, anyways :P), but at least you'll get impressive gains without needing God Ki or Elder Kaioshin!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 pm

I had asked this question awhile back, and the consensus was that SSJ3 could be mastered, but that its stamina drain would still be an inherent flaw with the form even if it was reduced with training. SSJ3 is a form that overtly stresses the body to draw out the most potential power that a non-Godly Saiyan can muster in the ordinary SSJ lineage, and this simply doesn't produce favorable results in the long run due to sacrificing an existing attribute, in this case, stamina in return for the boost in raw power.
It would actually be better for SSJ2 to be mastered as in Future Trunks' case in the manga where he not only made it stronger than SSJ3, but he also didn't have the stamina issue as far as we can tell.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Yes but the energy drain couldn't be gotten rid of. Goku has certainly mastered the use of it.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 am

Bansho64 wrote:I know some consider the form to be obsolete and pointless due to Super's addition of God ki and the forms proceeding it, but this is just a what if that I find interesting, so I'm mainly asking from the perspective of the original 42 volumes of the manga. Could the same treatment Goku and Gohan applied to the original form be applied to Super Saiyan 3? What kind of gains could the user obtain from it?
Yes. The Super Saiyan 3 transformation is capable of being mastered in the very same way the basic form of Super Saiyan was in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Which would have been extremely fruitful for both a version of Son Goku from Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Super. As right after the very two distinct versions of Son Goku had done so in the Room of Spirit and Time, Full Power Super Saiyan 3 would have been born and helped in making Little Goku (GT) strong enough to have left most of the enemies he had lost to in the canon of his timeline in complete and utter humiliation, and Goku (Super) to stand up to Hakaishin Beerus, with him being much more than 5 times stronger than he was in the original story and actually being able to land a certain number of blows on the God of Destruction before finally being taken down by the latter.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:36 am

theherodjl wrote:I had asked this question awhile back, and the consensus was that SSJ3 could be mastered, but that its stamina drain would still be an inherent flaw with the form even if it was reduced with training. SSJ3 is a form that overtly stresses the body to draw out the most potential power that a non-Godly Saiyan can muster in the ordinary SSJ lineage, and this simply doesn't produce favorable results in the long run due to sacrificing an existing attribute, in this case, stamina in return for the boost in raw power.
It would actually be better for SSJ2 to be mastered as in Future Trunks' case in the manga where he not only made it stronger than SSJ3, but he also didn't have the stamina issue as far as we can tell.
A user of Super Saiyan 3 with a Saiyan Tail would have made the process of mastering it very much easier.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:25 pm

I think ssj3 is on the razor's edge of the energy what one can control with 'normal Ki' for the Saiyans, obtained with a rage factor.
Besides Broly of course. :lol:
I think it's very difficult to master, but maybe theoretically it could be possible.
To go a level beyond ssj1 and ssj2 nowadays however, ssj God is more efficient.
So i guess Goku doesn't really have the need to master it.
When he wouldn't have access to Red, he'd at least make a serious attempt to master ssj3 i think.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am

Super Saiyan 3 seems more energy focused than just pure all around balance. Maybe others' interpretations that influenced my own. I don't know.

The form should be acclimatisable as most other transformations appear to be. Does this mean it could be used liberally and without concern for stamina like SSJ1? Probably not. Super Saiyan 3 just seems like a more costly form in general. It could maybe be reduced in its expenditure down to a standard earnest exertion of weaker forms like someone else explained. But to be able to hold the form indefinitely with no drawback like Goku and Gohan achieved with SSJ1 in the Cell arc? I doubt it.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am

SS3 is an inefficient form made by Goku while he was dead and it didn't tire him as much.

it is, for all purposes and intents, SS2's Grade3 except with no speed issues.
Goku:GT did apparently master it but it still puts a lot of strain on the body. Improving SS2 like Manga Trunks and Rage Vegeta did is the way to go.