New Super movie and character ages

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

New Super movie and character ages

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:18 pm

I remember a preview that briefly showed both Kakarot and Vegeta as babies before the planet was destroyed. I was curious what that was all about. I realize the Bardock specials were not canon, but simply going on Dragon Ball Wiki you can see Vegeta is around 5 years older than Goku. It's implied at least once (can't site an exact moment right now) that young Vegeta had some interaction with King Vegeta before the planet was destroyed, even if it was not for very long.

I tried looking on here first to see if anyone else was discussing this topic but couldn't find it. I also haven't been here for several months, I'm out of the loop on probably many things since the beginning of summer. If there's a perfectly good explanation I'd like it. This would not be first time I have questioned character ages in the franchise, take Battle of Gods for example (Pan, and then Bulma both I think had ages differ in material).
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: New Super movie and character ages

Post by Thanos » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:34 pm

Well, I think Vegeta looks a lot older than Goku when we see him aside from that shot of the two being born. Being "born around the same time" could either be just a dramatic statement (five years in the grand scheme of things isn't that long) or the translations not being quite perfect. There really isn't solid confirmation either way from the perspective of this movie yet that they've been retconned to be the same age, but it doesn't look like it goes much (if at all) Goku being sent to Earth, and we do see Vegeta looking like an older kid (compared to Goku).
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: New Super movie and character ages

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 pm

If we're going by the new character design sheets from the other day kid Vegeta's noticeably taller than pre-Goku Goku. It looks more like a 2 or 3 year human age difference, but saiyans have much more rapid growth spurts so I guess Vegeta could still be 5 years older than Goku. Adult Vegeta's not all that tall either so maybe kid Vegeta's also shorter than other kids his own age.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!