a question regarding saiyan power boosts

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

a question regarding saiyan power boosts

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:18 am

So a severe injury triggers the saiyan to get stronger when they recover. What about after death? say, when vegeta is killed on namek, does he become stronger in the afterlife and get wished back with increased power?

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: a question regarding saiyan power boosts

Post by p-hyvo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:53 am

I don't think it works like that, if you are dead you are dead
Zenkai triggers only in near death situations

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:35 am

The power boost is a biological thing for Saiyans that comes from being near death and then recovering. Actually dying means you didn't recover from it.

Being wished back to life or having your body restored after death are completely unnatural circumstances that don't factor into it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Kaboom wrote:The power boost is a biological thing for Saiyans that comes from being near death and then recovering. Actually dying means you didn't recover from it.

Being wished back to life or having your body restored after death are completely unnatural circumstances that don't factor into it.
Super seems to have changed the rules a bit since recovery is no longer necessary to receive the boost ala Goku Black and Goku and Vegeta in the ToP. To be fair, this may simply be an evolution of the standard zenkai only available to these particular Saiyans. But other than that, I agree that it still likely doesn't affect dead Saiyans.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 pm

BWri wrote:
Kaboom wrote:The power boost is a biological thing for Saiyans that comes from being near death and then recovering. Actually dying means you didn't recover from it.

Super seems to have changed the rules a bit since recovery is no longer necessary to receive the boost ala Goku Black and Goku and Vegeta in the ToP. To be fair, this may simply be an evolution of the standard zenkai only available to these particular Saiyans. But other than that, I agree that it still likely doesn't affect dead Saiyans.

Toriyama after BoG gave an interview in which he said "saiyans rapidly improve during batle". So basically now when the story calls for it, just the act of fighting itself without even needing emotion boosts or near death recovery boosts power up the saiyans.

So lets say goku starts a fight at a level of 100

5 minutes into that same fight, he will be at 110 or whatever number you wanna pick

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Well there's actually two different concepts at work. There's the healing boosts, where a Saiyan loses a fight or is otherwise badly injured, but then comes back stronger after recovering from it. That's what Vegeta, Goku, and even Gohan exploited repeatedly during the stuff on Namek, and Zamas was able to exploit all over again to (re)gain power as Goku Black.

But then there's also the "Saiyans get stronger the longer they fight" approach (as I was beaten to mentioning), which Toriyama talked about in relation to Goku fighting Beerus and has popped up a few times before in stuff like GT. THAT seems to be some sort of mechanic where, if a Saiyan is able to hang in there and keep fighting a tough battle, their strength will actually surge and increase during the fight itself. Toriyama said that would have happened for Goku against Beerus, I think we saw it happen with Nappa against Goku, and apparently it could be used to explain some power boosts for Goku and Vegeta during the Tournament of Power, too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Isn't it kind of dumb that fighting improves your ability. Like, obviously haha

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 pm

nato25 wrote:Isn't it kind of dumb that fighting improves your ability. Like, obviously haha
Didnt Tien and Roshi do this in their Budokai match?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-