Would Imperfect Cell Killing Mr. Piccolo Have Made The Z Fighters More Serious?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Would Imperfect Cell Killing Mr. Piccolo Have Made The Z Fighters More Serious?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Instead of simply snapping the neck, blasting straight through the chest of Piccolo with a powerful energy blast, and leaving the latter to helplessly drown by simply throwing him into the nearby sea, Imperfect Cell had killed the Super Namekian by absorbing his essence?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Would Imperfect Cell Killing Mr. Piccolo Have Made The Z Fighters More Serious?

Post by Lionel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Piccolo was dead to everyone at that time for all intents and purposes -- for him to have survived was a surprise to both Goku and Cell. If he had remained truly gone then the gravity of their situation may have sunk in more. One of their inner circle has been personally killed with no means for resurrecting him.

After Dende has been inducted and reconstituted the Dragon Balls, I can imagine a grieving incensed Gohan urging his father to hurry up and use them to bring back his beloved childhood mentor. Goku will refuse, maybe under some pretense like wanting to ensure that they're safe by destroying Cell first before bringing back not just Piccolo but all of those murdered (minus the people whom Gero killed, uncomfortably enough).

Events at the Cell Games would pan out almost the same. Piccolo isn't around to lecture about existential paternality to Goku -- which means he doesn't have some grand epiphany about Gohan's inherent dislike towards fighting and killing (just forget about him not showing any qualms about recreational image training with Krillin when there wasn't an expectation of danger on their way to Namek or his lack of hesitancy in killing Sui at the beginning of the Namek arc). Cell's creation of the jrs would be limited to just six. What this means is that one sensu is still available for Gohan to use after having rescued Vegeta from death at the hands of Cell. Unlike in the manga, we get the fabled SSJ2 Kid Gohan versus Super Perfect Cell showdown. I won't get into that one personally.