Did Goku Upgrade the Instant Transmission?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tectorman
Regular

Did Goku Upgrade the Instant Transmission?

Post by Tectorman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:21 am

The way IT works is that the user senses a person's ki and teleports to that person's location. Except for Movie 6 with Meta-Cooler, DBZ has been pretty consistent with this. It's why Goku couldn't just sense King Kai's ki, sense King Yemma's ki, split the difference, and teleport Cell to explode safely over the middle of Snake Way.

The DBS manga, however, has a couple of scenes that run contradictory to this. First, when Goku recruits Android 17, he teleports in the middle of their fight even though the only person around near his target destination is 17 himself, someone whom Goku can't sense. Second, after Vegeta fights Jiren as a Super Saiyan Hoovooloo and gets in trouble, Goku teleports in and bails the two of them out, and again, there's no one at his immediate destination.

Is it just an inconsistency or can we make the case that it's a deliberate upgrade? Both cases occur after Goku has gained the ability to sense god ki (how he was able to do that last blitz Kamehameha against Beerus in low Earth orbit in the movie). Previously, he and Vegeta couldn't sense Beerus; more to the point, they couldn't distinguish his ki from the surrounding universe.

What if they didn't just gain the one? What if learning how to sense god ki, learning how to distinguish it from the surrounding universe, lets them sense the universe itself? And through this rider-ability, Goku can teleport anywhere he wants, even with no one, or at least no one with energy that can be sensed, there. I.e., instead of Kibito's Kai Kai technique being wholly separate from the IT, it's just what happens when a user of IT (Just what exactly are Kibito's origins? Or conversely, just where did the Yardratians learn IT from?) also has the ability to sense god ki.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!