Should Toriyama have paired Vegeta with Launch instead of Bulma?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Should Toriyama have paired Vegeta with Launch instead of Bulma?

Post by zarmack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Even though I'm a big fan of the VegeBul pairing (especially in Super), I understand how many fans (as well as Hiromi Tsuru and Tōru Furuya) didn't like how Toriyama broke up Bulma x Yamcha just for the sake of the plot. I'm also one of the fans who think Yamcha almost certainly didn't cheat on Bulma (he was afraid of women. Men like that don't end up as casanovas, they end up as incels lmao.) This got me thinking, in order to satisfy both sides of the fandom, what if for the Android arc Toriyama instead had Vegeta hook-up with Launch, making Trunks (or whatever name he would have in this scenario) their son while Bulma and Yamcha stay together for the remainder of the series?

In terms of personality, Vegeta has more in common with Blond Launch than he does with Bulma. It was be really interesting to see Vegeta and Launch interact with each other and it would be a great way for Launch to come back in the story after the 23rd TB arc. Also, the innocent Blue-haired Launch could serve as a way for Vegeta to slowly soften up and become a good guy. Plus, it was already established in Early DB that Tien is an asexual monk, so its not like he would regret seeing Launch move on from him.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by zarmack on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Should Toriyama have paired Vegeta with Launch instead of Bulma?

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 pm

I like the idea of blonde Launch with Vegeta as a couple. They could've been a fun pair. Very Bonnie and Clyde. Running around robbing banks together, but still fighting greater evils when they emerge. You could still have Launch's moving truck from the Buu arc as a thing where Vegeta does the lifting furniture stuff while Launch drives the truck.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:42 am

That's making their son the first person to trigger a ssj transformation by sneezing in history

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I knew I wasn't the only one who'd thought it'll be a good idea.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:18 am

Nah, Vegeta and Bulma are perfect. I prefer Launch to be with Tenshinhan

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:39 pm

It’s a cute idea, but Bulma and Vegeta have too great a chemistry for me to even humor the idea of Lunch being a potential wife for Vegeta.

Plus, Lunch is just too barebones a character to be paired up with Vegeta, let alone anyone. I’m personally glad Toriyama wrote her out when he did.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:43 pm

I mean, Vegeta and Bulma weren't really a good couple until Super came along so Launch doesn't have much to compete with in terms of the original manga VegetaxBulma pair, but she's just such a shitty character compared to Bulma that she would probably be much worse. But in the case of the Android/Cell Arc it was utterly ridiculous that the pair were even seeing each other at all and we hardly get to see their relationship grow in their interactions during the Buu Arc, so in the event they started with Launch in the first place, it's possible that by the time the sequel comes along they have good chemistry.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Much more believable than Bulma randomly falling in love with a murderous sociopath (by then). But since Dragon Ball Super made Vegeta a better husband, I no don't see the need of this. If Launch appears again and had to be paired with anyone it's either Tien if the triclops suddenly returns his feelings to her or Yamcha, another person who had broke off from a relationship and is actually looking for one and was once a criminal like her.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Imagine if Lunch and Vegeta got together instead, their kid would be hard to handle, imagine if sneezing caused a Super Saiyan transformation!

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:44 pm

While doing as a game the other day, a somewhat reboot of Dragon Ball I would have seen each couple as follow:

Goku x Bulma
Chichi x Yamcha
Lunch x Tenshinhan
Vegeta x Tights
Kuririn x Android 18
Broly x Cheelai
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:36 am

Here is why many think Yamcha should have stayed with Bulma and Vegeta should have paired with Launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbGKHEjEw4

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 am

Much as I don’t like Bulma x Vegeta as a couple at least they’re both actual characters. Lunch is more of a gag (this nice sweet girl sneezes and turns into a gun happy sociopath) than an actual character. The pairing would be boring as hell

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:10 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Much as I don’t like Bulma x Vegeta as a couple at least they’re both actual characters. Lunch is more of a gag (this nice sweet girl sneezes and turns into a gun happy sociopath) than an actual character. The pairing would be boring as hell
Though she could have been brought back at some point and be more than a gag character, look at Mai for exemple before BoG or Super if you've told me that these madmen would have paired her with Trunks I would have laughed at you :lol:

But it's the reallity of today, Mai x Trunks is a thing and I'm still baffled by that lol. So Lunch could have been worked to go beyond her only gag character statut.

Also it's a shame Chichi never came to be a real Z-Fighter instead Toriyama transformed into a crazy overprotective mom smh.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:09 am

Vegeta and Bulma area terrible couple. Never sat right with me. Didn't ruin the franchise but was a permanent strike against it IMO.

So yeah Vegeta with nearly anyone else would be better.

I like the idea sometimes of maybe vegeta Bulma in the future timeline as an example of that being the weird bad ending.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I have to say I like bulma and Vegeta as a couple . I like how they didn't work out in the future timeline , yet when circumstances were different in the main timeline (which technically isn't the original timeline but that's not the point) they worked out as a couple . I dont think there's any way lunch and Vegeta would be a better or more interesting couple.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:34 pm

That was interesting that Furya/Tsuru felt that Bulma and Yamcha should have stayed together. I share their feelings, their characters had the best chemistry and felt the most natural in a saga filled with odd pairings.

But Trunks had to come from somewhere.

Could Launch have been a good choice? It's hard to say, really. A lot of the DB girls aren't really motherhood material, and only Chi-Chi looked the most wanting of stability.

It might have been nice if only so that Launch had a bigger role, and maybe because she's aggressive enough in her bad mode to keep up with Vegeta.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:47 pm

No, what they should've done is actually show Vegeta and Bulma getting along and being sweet with each other from time to time instead of playing their relationship off for laughs 100% of the time. As two headstrong individuals, they have a great dynamic with each other that we get to experience exactly none of.

Can also apply to Goku and Chichi from the beginning of Z onward. Goku's carefree spirit and Chichi's pragmatism could make for a wonderful interplay, but instead we just get Chichi acting like a psychopath and Goku acting like a moron because it's "funny".
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 pm

No, because Bulma is an actual character. Lunch is merely a vehicle for gags, which is likely why she was written out of the story.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:22 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:No, because Bulma is an actual character. Lunch is merely a vehicle for gags, which is likely why she was written out of the story.
Nah, Toriyama just forgot she existed.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Kurakaio wrote:Nah, Toriyama just forgot she existed.
That's not really the case. Her absence from Kame House is noted and discussed on screen by the cast, saying that she ran off to chase after Tenshinhan.
So her departure from the story was an intentional move by Toriyama. Though it is possible that Toriyama forgot about her after the fact, or otherwise misremembered the reason he eighty-sixed her.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)