Is Gotenks Actually Just A Run-Of-The-Mill Fusion In Terms Of Power & Potential?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Is Gotenks Actually Just A Run-Of-The-Mill Fusion In Terms Of Power & Potential?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:12 am

If you compare Gotenks with even just Gogeta then there is no real comparison. Goku + Vegeta just seems to be much greater in every way than Trunks + Goten even though the kid's post-ROSAT powers weren't too different than their father's strength at the time of the Boo arc. Does this mean that Gotenks can be considered an average fusion when their fathers just seem to make an inherently superior fusion?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is Gotenks Actually Just A Run-Of-The-Mill Fusion In Terms Of Power & Potential?

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:24 pm

They're kids. What gave you the idea that they were in any way comparable to their fathers? Once the fusion runs out inside Buu, they cease adding a meaningful contribution to his power, to the point where Goku and Gohan think they wouldn't need fusion to deal with him.

The power boost is probably the same- fusion lets characters jump several tiers up the chart and Potara is meant to be a stronger boost than the dance. It is interesting that Goku and Vegeta fusing seems to create fighters with all their best traits emphasised, while Gotenks brings out the absolute worst in Goten and Trunks. So he's an inferior fusion, but not really in terms of power.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Re: Is Gotenks Actually Just A Run-Of-The-Mill Fusion In Terms Of Power & Potential?

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Kataphrut wrote:They're kids. What gave you the idea that they were in any way comparable to their fathers? Once the fusion runs out inside Buu, they cease adding a meaningful contribution to his power, to the point where Goku and Gohan think they wouldn't need fusion to deal with him.

The power boost is probably the same- fusion lets characters jump several tiers up the chart and Potara is meant to be a stronger boost than the dance. It is interesting that Goku and Vegeta fusing seems to create fighters with all their best traits emphasised, while Gotenks brings out the absolute worst in Goten and Trunks. So he's an inferior fusion, but not really in terms of power.
IIRC Toriyama stated there were many types of metamoran Fusion Dances, and that was the one specifically to increase battle power.
Evidently the cost is the resulting personality isn't well-balanced. Hell, it's possible the playful elements of the component personalities get highlighted by design, to avoid getting an excessively aggressive super-warrior

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:00 pm

No way Gotenks components were no stronger than cell games Vegeta and they ended up being stronger than majin Buu as a super saiyan . The reason they were silly was because they were both 7 and 8 year olds so like a kid that was 7 and 1/2 .

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm

theherodjl wrote:even though the kid's post-ROSAT powers weren't too different than their father's strength at the time of the Boo arc.
I will never understand this point of view as long as I live.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
theherodjl wrote:even though the kid's post-ROSAT powers weren't too different than their father's strength at the time of the Boo arc.
I will never understand this point of view as long as I live.
The Buu arc isnt clear about any of this crap so you cant blame them