How Would ToP Krillin, Tenshinhan, and Roshi Have Fared In DBZ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

How Would ToP Krillin, Tenshinhan, and Roshi Have Fared In DBZ?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:47 am

As individuals & as a team? Could the three baldies have gotten as far as the Boo arc if they worked together & used their ToP strats?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How Would ToP Krillin, Tenshinhan, and Roshi Have Fared In DBZ?

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:54 am

No, because the ToP was a tournament where they just had to knock people off. None of their strategies would have amounted to much against unkillable regenerating monsters like Cell and Buu.

That being said, it really shouldn't have taken until Future Zamasu for them to go "Hey, maybe this power to seal enemies up forever in a confined space would come in handy for a lot of these bad guys." Instead of wasting time on fusion, that's what they should have been doing to deal with Buu. In fact, I think one of the Supersonic Warriors games literally has Piccolo do that.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:02 am

I really have no idea where the irrelevant characters stand in power, they are still weak relatively weak by DBS standards but being weak in Super can constitue being able to stomp anything from Z sometimes. I guess if you assume that because all of them appear to be able to be able to break Katchi Katchin, that they would be at least SSJ Gohan Buu arc tier but I think that's a stretch.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 am

At this point, if you are at least slightly comparable to Base Goku/Vegeta after Battle of Gods, you would solo DBZ.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Well they're all over the place in the anime. Manga-wise -- the most we see of them is dodging Magetta's downward attack and parrying some blows from a casual final form Frost. We see Base Vegeta accomplish the former back during the Champa arc but with perceivable exertion showing in his face. Were I to hazard a guess, I think the minimal level they could be classified at is Champa arc Base Saiyans. We see in the promotional manga for ROF how an untransformed Goku is able to stand toe-to-toe with Freeza in his final form. An SSJ Gohan that was stronger than Super Namekian Piccolo was shying away from confronting a suppressed Freeza in his first form. What does that imply?

I'll take a shot and say that the humans are at least somewhere in the Buu arc SSJ3 tier range -- definitely stronger than SSJ3 Goku and Kid Buu from that period. Acknowledging the retention of god ki in their base comes up with a whole slew of wild implications which I'm sure a lot of fans would rather not believe.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Anything past 3rd form frieza is a huge stretch.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 pm

This is yet another reason why we should all consider the whole "anything in Super can solo DBZ" thing dropped. Logically these characters should all still be around where they were in the original series since none of them made any major gains or development- even Krillin's comeback was more about mentality than power. Sure all of them have trained since then, but it takes a lot to go from where they left off to where they'd have to be if you assume they're as strong or stronger than the Buu saga heavy hitters. I mean Buu himself never trained at all until the Fit Buu shenanigans and he was still considered the third strongest behind Goku and Vegeta for a while.

I think it's better if we just take it at the shows word that the reason they were so effective is because of their technical skills and that being a benefit in the Tournament of Power. They still wouldn't be able to defeat threats like Cell.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:Anything past 3rd form frieza is a huge stretch.
I don't know, Krillin was actually pushing Base Gohan which is a level at least 1/3rd of 4th Form Freeza's full power, and Roshi possessed by Yurin's sorcery traded some blows with a half-serious Base Godku. I'd say they're beyond 3rd Form Freeza by a fair amount.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 pm

I think Super's focus on skill over power, combined with the many powerscaling issues it has, leads people to come up with these crazy ideas. To think that Krillin or Roshi are as strong as even SSJ1 Goku on Namek is silly IMO.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:39 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I think Super's focus on skill over power, combined with the many powerscaling issues it has, leads people to come up with these crazy ideas. To think that Krillin or Roshi are as strong as even SSJ1 Goku on Namek is silly IMO.
Exactly.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I think Super's focus on skill over power, combined with the many powerscaling issues it has, leads people to come up with these crazy ideas. To think that Krillin or Roshi are as strong as even SSJ1 Goku on Namek is silly IMO.
But in-universe that's how powerful they are portrayed as now. Also, Super might have wanted to focus on skill over power, but they are also strongly implied to be way more powerful. Super might have wonky powerscaling, but it is what it is, and that means in-universe that the lower tier gang got massively more powerful really quickly around that period. Especially if you include stuff from the manga like Roshi knowing the bargin bin omen of ultra instinct.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:40 pm

zarmack wrote:At this point, if you are at least slightly comparable to Base Goku/Vegeta after Battle of Gods, you would solo DBZ.
Not necessarily. That depends on the SSG multiplier.

And I don't think Tenshinhan nor Krillin could lay claim to being stronger than Base Goku/Vegeta.
I think the power scaling issues are immensely overblown, but we really aren't given any reason to believe Roshi is stronger than Namek SSJ Goku really.

Krillin on the other hand, appears to at least be on the same level as his wife, which would put him above Namek SSJ Goku.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:12 pm

Regarder wrote:
But in-universe that's how powerful they are portrayed as now. Also, Super might have wanted to focus on skill over power, but they are also strongly implied to be way more powerful. Super might have wonky powerscaling, but it is what it is, and that means in-universe that the lower tier gang got massively more powerful really quickly around that period. Especially if you include stuff from the manga like Roshi knowing the bargin bin omen of ultra instinct.
But even in the show it's emphasized that it's not about raw power, for example Roshi saying that Ganos was stronger and faster than him but he couldn't touch him because he lacked the skill and experience.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Krillin since the ToP is at least stronger than Perfect Cell by feats.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 pm

zarmack wrote:
Such as?

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Such as?
Matching Base Gohan during the recruitment arc, who is stronger than Lavender, who is stronger than Basil, who somewhat matched Fat Buu at the preliminaries, who is stronger than Super Perfect Cell.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:52 pm

zarmack wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Such as?
Matching Base Gohan during the recruitment arc, who is stronger than Lavender, who is stronger than Basil, who somewhat matched Fat Buu at the preliminaries, who is stronger than Super Perfect Cell.
That scene couldn't have been more clearly a skill-based one. Krillin used the Taioken to blind Gohan and then knocked him out, it had nothing to do with strength.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:55 pm

PFM18 wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Such as?
That scene couldn't have been more clearly a skill-based one. Krillin used the Taioken to blind Gohan and then knocked him out, it had nothing to do with strength.
Pretty much exactly what I was saying. If Gohan was seriously intending to kill Krillin what do you think would have happened?

Also I don't get the idea that Lavender is stronger than Basil... I always thought Lavender was the weakest of the trio and compensated for that with his poison.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 pm

The absolute most I would put Krillin is at his wife's level, he has done nothing that leads me to believe he is especially strong.

Tenshinhan and Roshi are considerably weaker with Roshi being the weakest IMO.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Pretty much exactly what I was saying. If Gohan was seriously intending to kill Krillin what do you think would have happened?

Also I don't get the idea that Lavender is stronger than Basil... I always thought Lavender was the weakest of the trio and compensated for that with his poison.
Basil is stated to be the youngest and weakest of the trio.