Does the Potara retcon fix a plothole?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Does the Potara retcon fix a plothole?

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I was watching DBZ today and thought, if the magic insides of Boo were originally what defused Vegetto ("bad air") then why was Gotenks not defused until his time expired? In the original manga this is a small plot hole, but now that Potara actually has a time limit, if that is what caused Vegetto's defusion and in reality the insides of Boo do not effect fusion, then everything makes sense.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Does the Potara retcon fix a plothole?

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Why would that necessarily have been a plot hole in its original run down of events? The Potara fusion and Metamoran fusion are two different techniques, with only the Potara fusion having anything to do with magic as far as we're aware of. The concept of Buu's insides having adverse effects could very well have been that they had adverse effects on the magic of the Potaras themselves, and not just adverse effects on fusions in general.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 am

nickzambuto wrote:I was watching DBZ today and thought, if the magic insides of Boo were originally what defused Vegetto ("bad air") then why was Gotenks not defused until his time expired? In the original manga this is a small plot hole, but now that Potara actually has a time limit, if that is what caused Vegetto's defusion and in reality the insides of Boo do not effect fusion, then everything makes sense.
Boo could've simply chose to have Gotenks remain fused for the purpose of obtaining his power, the same would've gone for Vegetto too had he actually been absorbed instead of being shrunken within Boo's being.
The plothole originally was Vegetto defusing when Rou Kaioshin said that the fusion would be permanent but thanks to DBS, the plothole was fixed and ended up being a case of Rou Kaioshin not knowing that the effect was merely temporary for non-Shinjin.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:26 pm

I wouldn't say it was a plothole per say because some sort of explaination was hypothesized, it wasn't just ignored and left contradictory without mentionning anything. But it was just considered a weird and easy explanation with no definite conclusion, just a "maybe there's something in the atmosphere here or something, but anyway...".

So I wouldn't say it fixed a glaring plothole, but rather that it fixed a conveniently fishy, unclear "sort-of-maybe" explanation, and it was quite clever to fix it.