Did Gogeta and Broly create a pocket dimension?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Did Gogeta and Broly create a pocket dimension?

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Spoiler alert

In a certain part of the (Dragon Ball Super: Broly) movie, the shock between Gogeta and Broly’s ki blast generated what looked like a pocket dimension.

In my first view, I took it as a visual effect to make the scene look cooler, but some people have reported that Gogeta reacts in surprise to them entering that realm and then proceeds to continue the fight.

Since the movie doesn’t explain what happened, I would like to hear your opinions.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Did Gogeta and Broly create a pocket dimension?

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Given that Gogeta does indeed react in surprise when the two of them enter the "effect", with the Japanese version having him go "Huh?" and the dub having him go "What the...?" as soon as they came in, I'm sooner to believe that it was a legitimate breaking into a different dimension and not simply a visual effect. It wouldn't make sense for them to have Gogeta react in confusion if it was something he wasn't actually witnessing or experiencing.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 pm

I think what happened was that their clash broke a hole into another dimension (similar to what Goku Black did with his ki scythe at one point), except the difference is that they were actually in the middle of it so they got pulled in, and eventually they clashed again and broke out.

As for what dimension it actually was, that's probably not going to be answered. Like Goku Black said, even he had no idea where the rip in space went.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Agreed, this wasn't just a neato visual effect but an in-universe phenomenon that their clash of powers created. Personally, I thought they had briefly visited the Into the Spider-verse movie.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 pm

Maybe Whis had something to do with it? He is a known space-time manipulator so perhaps he was preventing U7 or at least Earth from being destroyed by opening a rift to exhaust the intense power away to another dimension?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 pm

I'm severely due for a Dragon Ball Super rewatch, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it looked like it was a continuation to the universe rip (or whatever)that was hinted at back in the Battle of Gods arc when Goku and Beerus' punches connect. I think something similar happened while Goku was sparring with Vegeta in some other arc (I think just before the U6 vs U7 tournament?)

But as I said, I'm due for a rewatch, my memory could be failing me a bit here

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 am

Gogeta and that other one "remained" in the same space, i.e even though they went "somewhere else", they were still on Earth in the same place they were before going there. To put in "Marvel terms": Gogeta "shrank" via Pym's Particles and visited the "Quantum Realm". Only that he did not actually "shrink", obviously. That said, yeah, I think it is possible that they could have gone into a pocket dimension. As it is the only reasonable explanation I can find as to where they went/were. Of course, an in-universe explanation is always welcome, pity "explaining stuff" is not their forte.

It should be noted here in order to make things as clear as possible that they did not actually went to another dimension per se, that would require them appearing in an actual location where certain characters exist (movie villains, for instance).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:06 am

I think in the spoilers or script it said they cracked the fabric of reality and destroyed several planes of dimensions. It could be something like in Gurren Lagann when Simon and Co.
Possibly, they weren't even in Universe 7.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 am

So it was moreso shattering reality as opposed to shattering into a pocket dimension/alternate dimension?

To quote Gogeta: "What the!?"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I think in the spoilers or script it said they cracked the fabric of reality and destroyed several planes of dimensions. It could be something like in Gurren Lagann when Simon and Co.
I'd like to see a source for that since AFAIK no official statement was ever made to clarify/explain the scene.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:I think in the spoilers or script it said they cracked the fabric of reality and destroyed several planes of dimensions. It could be something like in Gurren Lagann when Simon and Co.
I'd like to see a source for that since AFAIK no official statement was ever made to clarify/explain the scene.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... ephant_in/
I think this guy got his explanation from the spoilers could be wrong.

Then, you have a tweet from Herms translating an interview from the some of the people working on the movie acknowledging a new battleground which "will be a highlight of the movie (they say). It’s a type of place that doesn’t exist in reality, like an alternate dimension, and they created it with software Unity.”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2018/09/ ... -sequence/

Why would you think no one would explain or at least acknowledge that scene?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... ephant_in/
I think this guy got his explanation from the spoilers could be wrong.

Then, you have a tweet from Herms translating an interview from the some of the people working on the movie acknowledging a new battleground which "will be a highlight of the movie (they say). It’s a type of place that doesn’t exist in reality, like an alternate dimension, and they created it with software Unity.”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2018/09/ ... -sequence/

Why would you think no one would explain or at least acknowledge that scene?
I heard of the last one, but I was just saying that your explanation sounded a lot more specific than anything that had been said officially.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:37 pm

Oh, I was just inputting what I read from those two sources and saw from the movie to describe my interpretation of it.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Thinking about it further, I think that if this is anything, it's related to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Specifically, the way Buu and Gotenks got out. It has a specific door, but when they screamed a hole in space, they came out near where the actual door was rather than at the door. Arguably, if they had been further away from the remains of the door in the HTC, they probably would have come out in mid-air with Kami's Lookout off in the distance. Given that the HTC is supposed to be as big as Earth, one could conceivably scream a hole between the two dimensions anywhere on Earth.

I've always thought that this was a phenomenon capable of going in both directions, not just HTC to Earth (my headcanon is that this is where Super Buu went after facing Gohan the first time but before beginning his absorbing strategy). So it makes sense that this could be similar. Maybe they briefly went to the HTC or another spatially concurrent dimension, and then another burst of power brought Gogeta and Broly back.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 am

Tectorman wrote:Thinking about it further, I think that if this is anything, it's related to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Specifically, the way Buu and Gotenks got out. It has a specific door, but when they screamed a hole in space, they came out near where the actual door was rather than at the door. Arguably, if they had been further away from the remains of the door in the HTC, they probably would have come out in mid-air with Kami's Lookout off in the distance. Given that the HTC is supposed to be as big as Earth, one could conceivably scream a hole between the two dimensions anywhere on Earth.

I've always thought that this was a phenomenon capable of going in both directions, not just HTC to Earth (my headcanon is that this is where Super Buu went after facing Gohan the first time but before beginning his absorbing strategy). So it makes sense that this could be similar. Maybe they briefly went to the HTC or another spatially concurrent dimension, and then another burst of power brought Gogeta and Broly back.
That's basically what I said, except it most likely wasn't the ROSAT since it didn't look anything like it.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Tectorman wrote:Thinking about it further, I think that if this is anything, it's related to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Specifically, the way Buu and Gotenks got out. It has a specific door, but when they screamed a hole in space, they came out near where the actual door was rather than at the door. Arguably, if they had been further away from the remains of the door in the HTC, they probably would have come out in mid-air with Kami's Lookout off in the distance. Given that the HTC is supposed to be as big as Earth, one could conceivably scream a hole between the two dimensions anywhere on Earth.

That's basically what I said, except it most likely wasn't the ROSAT since it didn't look anything like it.
Yep, probably not. No reason why there can only be one spatially concurrent dimension next to Earth.

Although the door isn't entirely closed to the possibility. The manga never says anything specific about the environment beyond "high gravity, thin air, fluctuating temperatures" and only treats it like a near-feature-less void. The anime, on the other hand, does show scenes where the room shows glaciers of ice or tracking jets of flame. What Gogeta and Broly saw might not be so much further than what we've already seen. Not to mention how much of a wreck the room is now, thanks to Vegeta.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:03 pm

No, they briefly entered the space between dimensions.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:06 pm

the novel says what it was.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Tsufuru wrote:the novel says what it was.
Can you elaborate on that?

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
Tsufuru wrote:the novel says what it was.
Can you elaborate on that?
But using this to his advantage, the Gogeta who had just gained distance gathers his hands at hip level in preparation for a ki blast stance. In response to that, Broly does the same.

Haaa!!
Gaaa!!

Energy containing the might of a different dimension collides between the two. A flash of light surges as a silent explosion expanded.
The next instant, Gogeta and Broly found themselves within a dimension of swirling strange lights. The boundary of the dimension could not withstand the energy released by them and got torn apart.