Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Post by Apslup » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:16 pm

"The Dictator"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:16 pm

In 2016 on this very same forum, I made threads on how Super would canonize LSSJ and Broly. The fandom claimed Toriyama would never do that, hes too "original". And doesnt remember anything thats not his. Not to mention the constant claims of them being "garbage"...

Fast forward to 2019 and suddenly these concepts are great after being recycled and fans are clamoring for more canonizations.

I've made my opinions pretty clear. Broly and the concepts surrounding the original were worthy the general quality of storytelling and concepts of the rest of the series.

I've said the same of cooler and GT and definitely SSJ4. In retrospect I wish I had never gotten involved with Super or the fandom. I now respect Toriyama less as a writer at this stage in his career and I find myself actively working to not let modern interpretations of DB interfere with my preceptions of the original work. Thats not how i want to enjoy this franchise. I dont want to have to work to enjoy the series the way i did previously.

Thats just my personal take, so to answer the question. I dont want modern DB to touch anything else in the established or unofficial lore with a ten foot pole.

They want to make new stories, then fine. Just leave the stuff we already have alone so we can continue to enjoy it in its original framing.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 pm

TheMikado wrote:I've made my opinions pretty clear. Broly and the concepts surrounding the original were worthy the general quality of storytelling and concepts of the rest of the series.
I'm sorry but personally, I've always felt the original Broly story was pretty awful to which the new movie rectified quite nicely in my opinion. I always hated how Broly was a lazily-written monster with no redeeming qualities and how much Takao Koyama sucked him off in being the strongest anime character during the Z-era. Broly was pure evil because he was the strongest Saiyan and the strongest Saiyan because he was pure evil, he had no motivation to be a villain beyond that circular reasoning. The new movie paints him in a much more sympathetic and dare I say, human manner. He is conflicted mentally between wanting to actually show some empathy for living beings & becoming a raging beast when his transformations cause him to lose reason, something akin to a Space Jekll & Hyde. He actually has room to develop as a character in choosing between being a good guy or a bad guy in comparison to his original incarnation where he was born to be evil beyond redemption, there is some tragedy now and Broly is much more relatable as a result.
I've come to respect Toriyama much more as a writer for improving a one-off character design he originally did and left in the hands of a fanboy who wanted the character to be the biggest & baddest DB villain ever, he really ought to have been as involved in this from the start as he eventually became but I guess we all have our opinions.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 am

I think it'd be cool if they did a new Cooler movie.
presents a really interesting opportunity for those two to have a dynamic, and we'd probably hear a bunch of cool lore stuff about the Cold/Freeza Force days.

I think it's possible that
is Super's take on SS4.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 am

Definitely worth revisiting Cooler and/ or his race in general given recent events.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 am

I would like to see a reinvention of the concept of the Shadow dragons, if not necessarily the actual existing versions (Cept maybe Nova)

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 pm

theherodjl wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I've made my opinions pretty clear. Broly and the concepts surrounding the original were worthy the general quality of storytelling and concepts of the rest of the series.
I'm sorry but personally, I've always felt the original Broly story was pretty awful to which the new movie rectified quite nicely in my opinion. I always hated how Broly was a lazily-written monster with no redeeming qualities and how much Takao Koyama sucked him off in being the strongest anime character during the Z-era. Broly was pure evil because he was the strongest Saiyan and the strongest Saiyan because he was pure evil, he had no motivation to be a villain beyond that circular reasoning. The new movie paints him in a much more sympathetic and dare I say, human manner. He is conflicted mentally between wanting to actually show some empathy for living beings & becoming a raging beast when his transformations cause him to lose reason, something akin to a Space Jekll & Hyde. He actually has room to develop as a character in choosing between being a good guy or a bad guy in comparison to his original incarnation where he was born to be evil beyond redemption, there is some tragedy now and Broly is much more relatable as a result.
I've come to respect Toriyama much more as a writer for improving a one-off character design he originally did and left in the hands of a fanboy who wanted the character to be the biggest & baddest DB villain ever, he really ought to have been as involved in this from the start as he eventually became but I guess we all have our opinions.
I fail to see how NuBroly can get any sympathy considering he had it way easier than the old Broly plus of you're referring to the whole "mad cause Gokus cried when they were infants" thing was never his motivation to begin with. As their are more implications of him suffering from ptsd and add on top of that his lssj form slowly eating away at his mental state causing him to become consumed by his Saiyans instincts and the fact that him going last caused him extreme pain as well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Bringing in the Shinseiju and combining it with the manner in which Shin-jin are born would be a neat idea. Hell, it's an excuse to let Nozawa Masako voice Tullece again, too. Maybe make him an official cousin of Gokuu?

I definitely want Coola to come back, though. Coola would be a great excuse to chase Freeza out of his empire and force him to work with Gokuu and the others again. While we're at it, maybe have him and Tullece be allies? Nozawa and Nakao getting to play off of one another as allies would be awesome!

I also have an idea for bringing back Zamasu. Have Vegeta--his anger over Trunks' timeline being erased stoked during a conversation with Gokuu and Whis a few days after the battle with Broli--demand the Zen-Ou to restore that timeline. The Zen-Ou from the Future agrees to restore Trunks' timeline but only if he can retrieve a mythical artifact (which turns out to be a game)...but there's a caveat: he has to compete with Gokuu! If Gokuu fails to win this challenge then his family will be erased! This is really just an excuse to give Gokuu and Vegeta a dramatic, no-holds bar fight. I figure the fight can end with Vegeta and Gokuu deciding to bring the artifact to the Zen-Ou together, thus 'solving' the riddle of the challenge. The Zen-Ou from the Future reluctantly restores Trunks' timeline but doesn't want to go back to where he'll be alone. Trunks and Mai get to return to their original timeline but unbeknownst to everyone when restoring the future timeline to a time when Trunks and Mai's orphan wards were still alive he also returned it to a time where Merged Zamasu was still alive!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:07 am

Android 21. :

ImageImage
I'd like to see her wrapped up in a movie that explores the red ribbon army's past and also includes some versions of Android 13 , 14, 15 (Redesigned of course, because outside of 13 their current design could use some work) General Red as Android 9 would be a nice throw back too.). Plus think it could be tied together well with Oomori's story with why he built the time travel machine from Dragon Ball Minus by Paralleling it against Dr. Gero struggles with 21 & Android 16.

Someday Somehow:

Turles & Shallot: Maybe not a movie about them but surely they could sneak him in Dragon Ball's past somwhere. We had everyone else in the movie so why not them too.

Towa & Mira & The Supreme Kai of Time: Dragon Ball Online was a nice revival for the series so maybe something to honor that would be nice. As for the Supreme Kai of Time well I like her cute personalily.

Honorary

Goku Jr. : Because he deserves it.

And finally Pasta from Blood Ruby who also needs some recognition as one of Dragon Ball's first female villians

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:01 pm

theherodjl wrote:How about Cell? We know he has so much potential from being cloned out of Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Cold, and Piccolo's DNA(as well as the DNA of Krillin, Tenshinhan, Nappa, Gohan, and others implied by anime filler) so would he achieve "Beyond Perfection Cell" as a justification for his reappearance? Or how about Cooler? Maybe he can he rewritten as Freeza's overly-ambitious brother who Cold put down and locked away decades prior for being too evil & greedy for his own good? I could see him achieving "Platinum Cooler" as a jab at Freeza's golden form and then beating his younger brother into submission so much that Freeza actually calls for aid from Goku & Vegeta.
Stop these returns! Please, give us new characters!

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Son Dragon wrote:Android 21. :

ImageImage
I'd like to see her wrapped up in a movie that explores the red ribbon army's past and also includes some versions of Android 13 , 14, 15 (Redesigned of course, because outside of 13 their current design could use some work) General Red as Android 9 would be a nice throw back too.). Plus think it could be tied together well with Oomori's story with why he built the time travel machine from Dragon Ball Minus by Paralleling it against Dr. Gero struggles with 21 & Android 16.

Someday Somehow:

Turles & Shallot: Maybe not a movie about them but surely they could sneak him in Dragon Ball's past somwhere. We had everyone else in the movie so why not them too.

Towa & Mira & The Supreme Kai of Time: Dragon Ball Online was a nice revival for the series so maybe something to honor that would be nice. As for the Supreme Kai of Time well I like her cute personalily.

Honorary

Goku Jr. : Because he deserves it.

And finally Pasta from Blood Ruby who also needs some recognition as one of Dragon Ball's first female villians
No to Android 21, she's just annoying. And definitely not any more Androids. Let the franchise go forward, NOT backwards! Androids 13-15 were destroyed after they were found as "unsatisfying" by Dr. Gero, same goes to Androids 1-7 and 9-12. Only 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 (Gero's mechanic body) and Cell were "satisfying to continue developing" in his opinion.

Towa and Mira (a humanoid rip-off of Cell) will only take us back and forth in time, to things we had already seen, they're video games characters for such event to re-appear with a sudden twist. Besides all they do is bringing back old Saiyans (only this time with masks), give them rage tantrums and unacceptable/unrealistic power boosts for the sake of merchandising or cast a spell over bag guys from the past and make them go enormous with another unrealistic power boost. There is nothing good about them. If it was about rebuilding the Demon Realm with the help of Dabura and launch an attack over Beerus and the Kaioshins, I'd be pro adding them for the franchise.

Turles and Shallot do not need to appear, one is just another "bad-Goku" and the other is just a Saiyan from the past without any connection or mean of traveling forward in time and communicate with our generation of characters.

Goku Jr. will come down the line if the franchise will go long enough and will manage to go past this current generation at some point.

Pasta should have been used in the ORIGINAL Dragon Ball series, but now? She's in her late 50s, what can she add to the story?

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:00 pm

I hope that you have realized I just expressed my thoughts, Son Dragon, and appologize if I was misunderstood. Nothing personal against you and you're entitled for your own opinion just like any fan is.

The only character I'd like to see canonized from GT is Ledgic. Seeing him fighting Frieza in one of Frieza's flashbacks about the only time he had to transform (as Zarbon mentioned he witnessed it) before fighting the Z-Fighters on Planet Namek would be against Ledgic (who'd proven too much for Zarbon even in his transformed state and hundreds of Frieza soldiers, without breaking a sweat before proceeding to even push first form Frieza, who was forced to step in, to the wall) upon conquering his planet and race (a nod to Toyotaro's inclusion of a Ledgic based Frieza soldier in his Resurrection 'F' manga back in 2015). I wouldn't mind if Ledgic was, as according to "Dragon Ball GT: Transformation", a professor of some sort who managed to develop his famous cloth that grows metal spears out of it's sleeves' ends to assist him in battle. Maybe Ledgic managed to miraculously survive with Frieza mistaking him for dead after launching a massive attack that threw Ledgic far away from sight.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Cooler has already appeared in a minor role in DBS Heroes, I hope that is expanded on.

Besides him, I'd like to see the following return:
- Mercenary Tao: Master Roshi's rival and Tien's former sensei. I doubt he's been idle.

- Launch: My favourite DB girl has been away for too long.

- Tarble: Get him back into the story already, he's Vegeta's brother!

- Maybe a new version of Pan could come from the future and meet with Goku and her family.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:Towa and Mira (a humanoid rip-off of Cell) will only take us back and forth in time, to things we had already seen, they're video games characters for such event to re-appear with a sudden twist. Besides all they do is bringing back old Saiyans (only this time with masks), give them rage tantrums and unacceptable/unrealistic power boosts for the sake of merchandising or cast a spell over bag guys from the past and make them go enormous with another unrealistic power boost. There is nothing good about them. If it was about rebuilding the Demon Realm with the help of Dabura and launch an attack over Beerus and the Kaioshins, I'd be pro adding them for the franchise.
Don't put Dragon Ball Online in the same can along with Dragon Ball Heroes, they are games, but they couldn't be more far apart from each other. Bardock was the only Saiyan who was brought back, everyone else comes from Heroes, which means except for Bardock, all the other ones are within the what-if concept.

Taking us back and forth in time is interesting for the possibility of us seeing what we have not seen, Xenoverse is playing safe by keeping itself during Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super eras (but thankfully we now have Super Dragon Ball Heroes challenging that) but it is not like the appearance of Mira and Towa in the series would mean the same. Their appearance isn't a guarantee that we would be stuck with time travelling by the way, if Toriyama is wise enough, he would throw the Demon Realm in the mix.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 am

Neither of those things are interesting, actually. If they are, all SDBH did was find a way to present it in the least-fun way possible.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Raditz, because the guy is Goku's brother yet Goku has more of a relationship with FREEZA now than his own brother. It's kind of awkward.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 pm

Telluce but actually do something with the fact that he looks like Goku. Like make him Bardock’s bastard from another female warrior that wasn’t Gine. Or make him a Goku clone or something.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:39 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Telluce but actually do something with the fact that he looks like Goku. Like make him Bardock’s bastard from another female warrior that wasn’t Gine. Or make him a Goku clone or something.
IMHO If they'll use Turles as a new Saiyan enemy, they'll have to make him look different than Goku, having another "evil Goku" is just not creative.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:38 pm

I'm not sure how you could count this but in Toyotaro's recent illustration for tue Dragon Ball website, Turles (Tullece) is listed as one of the Saiyan who would have or has somehow survived the destruction of Planet Vegeta, which I.thought was a little interesting. Also now that I think.about it, in the manga those Cell Jr.'s could probably lead to something...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:21 am

They could always make Tullece into Bardock's cousin, nephew or brother or even just a vaguely defined relative. Hell, make him Bardock's father!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf