Will Sun Wukong Ever Appear In DB?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Will Sun Wukong Ever Appear In DB?

Post by theherodjl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:53 am

Journey To The West is the basis of DB's origins so do you think Toriyama has been holding out on including him in some future arc, especially now that a pantheon structured after Asian religions has been established in DB's lore?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will Sun Wukong Ever Appear In DB?

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:54 am

theherodjl wrote:Journey To The West is the basis of DB's origins so do you think Toriyama has been holding out on including him in some future arc, especially now that a pantheon structured after Asian religions has been established in DB's lore?
I don't think so, as Sun Wukong is basically Son Goku (And Son Goku is how Sun Wukong is actually written in Japanese). The first Dragon Ball heavily borrowed things and concepts from the Journey To The West, like the main characters being losely based to stuff like the man eating gourd or Mount Gogyozan at the end when Goku is trying to save Chichi's father from fire. And there is ton of this stuff.
There are topics on this forum dealing with Journey to The West and wuxia movie influences, but don't remember, maybe someone will help :)

Also, the series took somewhere else in Z, abandoning the wuxia and Journey To The West elements for more of a sci-fi.
Toriyama is holding Sun Wukong in his hands this whole time :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 am

Probably not. I’m only saying probably because there may be a chance they would bring him or someone who is a reference to him as an ex-God of Destruction, or Zalama, or one of the dead Gods of Destruction from universes 13 to 18.

But thats pure speculation.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm

MCDaveG wrote:There are topics on this forum dealing with Journey to The West and wuxia movie influences, but don't remember, maybe someone will help :)

Also, the series took somewhere else in Z, abandoning the wuxia and Journey To The West elements for more of a sci-fi.
As the person who wrote the main topic on Wuxia and its influences on Dragon Ball, let me once more stress that while the series stops being a direct Journey to the West spoof after the first/Pilaf arc (though there continue to be various references to Journey sprinkled throughout a good chunk of the series after), the WHOLE entire franchise from start to finish (including all of Z/GT/Super) NEVER stops containing obscene, obscene amounts of Wuxia elements, which remain its overwhelmingly primary component throughout.

The sci fi aspects are both A) merely window dressing that adds a different bit of flavoring to the still overwhelmingly Wuxia/martial arts fantasy core themes and B) are not restricted solely to just Dragon Ball within the genre, as TONS of other Wuxia/martial arts fantasy franchises have also used sci fi elements in very similar ways, both before and after DB.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:There are topics on this forum dealing with Journey to The West and wuxia movie influences, but don't remember, maybe someone will help :)

As the person who wrote the main topic on Wuxia and its influences on Dragon Ball, let me once more stress that while the series stops being a direct Journey to the West spoof after the first/Pilaf arc (though there continue to be various references to Journey sprinkled throughout a good chunk of the series after), the WHOLE entire franchise from start to finish (including all of Z/GT/Super) NEVER stops containing obscene, obscene amounts of Wuxia elements, which remain its overwhelmingly primary component throughout.

The sci fi aspects are both A) merely window dressing that adds a different bit of flavoring to the still overwhelmingly Wuxia/martial arts fantasy core themes and B) are not restricted solely to just Dragon Ball within the genre, as TONS of other Wuxia/martial arts fantasy franchises have also used sci fi elements in very similar ways, both before and after DB.
Thanks Kunzait! Love your topic by the way :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88