Journey to the West translations

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Journey to the West translations

Post by Velasa » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:14 am

I've been wanting to read Journey to the West for some time. But I've had trouble with getting good versions of translated books before, so I figured I would ask here before ending up with a hack job again.

Does anyone know of a well-priced, complete and accurate translation of the old legend? What publisher or edition should I look for?
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 am

The Anthony Yu translation is a complete, 4 volume translation, and is supposed to be the best. Here it is on Amazon: volume 1 2 3 4. He's also done an abridged version.

My college library has only the first three volumes for some reason...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:36 am

Having read the Jenner, Yu and Waley translations of the book, I'd say the Yu translation is the best, having the best English text and lots of footnotes :3
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:30 am

Is it a good read? Would a high school student enjoy this?

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 am

Genki-Dama wrote:Is it a good read? Would a high school student enjoy this?
I reading a shortened version titled Monkey. Its one of those stories that goes adventure after adventure (I like those). It isnt a difficult read. I got really boring for me when Monkey was not in the story but when hes there it kept my atttention. You wouldnt have any trouble reading it (I started to read it the very end of my seniro year).
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Zuhalter2000 wrote:
Genki-Dama wrote:Is it a good read? Would a high school student enjoy this?
I reading a shortened version titled Monkey. Its one of those stories that goes adventure after adventure (I like those). It isnt a difficult read. I got really boring for me when Monkey was not in the story but when hes there it kept my atttention. You wouldnt have any trouble reading it (I started to read it the very end of my seniro year).
Ahhhhh yes... Monkey. :D I would say go with Monkey or even the Yu books....

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Y'all should check out the movies while you're at it.
I recommend director Jeff Lau's "A Chinese Odyssey" films starring Kung Fu Hustle's Stephen Chow and his recent "A Chinese Tall Story" starring Nicholas Tse.

In fact, I even took part in translating the DVD bonus features for "A Chinese Tall Story". Having read thru Jeff Lau's entire director's audio commentary, he's got quite a lot of insight on the stories itself. Having Studio Ghibli's main maestro Joe Hisaishi doing the music score for "A Chinese Tall Story" was a pretty nice touch too.
The world is your's.