"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Retan
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Retan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm actually hoping they don't tell the U6 story as a movie and spoil it for us that are enjoying super, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:40 pm

If Toriyama gets involved again, i'd actually like to seem him reinvent Broly as a character more in line with his style

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:44 pm

I would not want Toriyama anywhere near Broly. That character is just not meant for his gag style. :sick:

Anyways, if Broly somehow does get some OVA, which I doubt, I really hope they don't go with that hideous lime green hair design of his from these new games. Ugh.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:03 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I would not want Toriyama anywhere near Broly. That character is just not meant for his gag style. :sick:
I think you mean for his current* gag style. Toriyama knows how to do serious stories, Freeza is the master explample of that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:04 pm

I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but he's clearly talking about the third arc of Dragon Ball Super in context. Maybe the Spanish subtitles say otherwise (haven't studied it since high school), but he doesn't mention anything about a new movie.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:05 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but he's clearly talking about the third arc of Dragon Ball Super in context.
I hate that, why would they make a movie about third arc of super. I am so done with retellings at this point.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:08 pm

Sodhi wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but he's clearly talking about the third arc of Dragon Ball Super in context.
I hate that, why would they make a movie about third arc of super. I am so done with retellings at this point.
What movie?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Thank god it was just a mistranslation, it wouldn't make sense to announce a movie so soon. Maybe they could make a movie or an OVA when DBS is midway or ending, but not now.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Broli had three movies, he over stay his welcome by DBZ Movie 10. If Toei wants him back then they could do a GT OVA set right after the Shadow Dragon arc to promote Heroes, but that is slim to none at this rate.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:02 pm

Retan wrote:I'm actually hoping they don't tell the U6 story as a movie and spoil it for us that are enjoying super, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.
We won't be getting a new movie till early-mid 2017 at the earliest which will be a year after it ended in Super.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Why are people talking about Broli, anyway? Yamamuro doesn't mention him at all. More mistranslations or something?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Herms wrote:Why are people talking about Broli, anyway? Yamamuro doesn't mention him at all. More mistranslations or something?
This guy:
MrKaytos wrote:The new film is confirmed by Ramen Para Dos: http://ramenparados.com/entrevista-a-ta ... on-ball-z/ You have the video and the transcripction of the whole interview. No, There aren't doubts.

Some hours later, we (Misión Tokyo) interviewed Yamamuro in Salón Manga Barcelona, and he said he would like to see another movie... That means that someone told him to say that and maintain the secret. But now, with the document of Ramen, the truth is clear. There will be another Dragon Ball movie to complete the new trilogy.

Yamamuro also told us in Misión Tokyo that he would like to go back to the origins of Son Goku (maybe Minus or Jaco?). Moreover, he said that Broly could appear again to tell another of his stories before his death. We will post the interview and the video soon, like Ramen Para Dos.
The link also mentions something about Nekomajin, lol.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Hopefully Misión Tokyo translates things better than Ramen Para Dos.

Well anyway, I translated those 19-22 episode summaries:
Episode 19: "Despair Once More! Revival of the Evil Emperor Freeza!"
Son Goku and Vegeta have begun training on the God of Destruction Beerus’ planet, striving each day with the harsh tasks Beerus’ teacher Whis gives them. At the same time out in space, the remnants of Freeza’s army (the evil emperor previously defeated by Goku) are having trouble with insurrections on the planets under their rule.

Episode 20: "A Warning From Jaco! Freeza and 1,000 Soldiers are Fast Approaching!"
Freeza is brought back to life through the power of the dragon balls. He immediately decides to spend four months training in order to get revenge on Goku. And so, several months later the Galactic Patrolman Jaco comes to Earth to visit Bulma, saying that he wants to meet the man who defeated Freeza.

Episode 21: “The Revenge Begins! The Freeza Army's Malice Strikes Gohan!"
Bulma learns from Jaco that the resurrected Freeza is bringing 1,000 soldiers and will attack in about one hour. She hurries to relay this information to Whis, but is unable to get in touch with him right away. And so five warriors on Earth (including Goku’s son Gohan, Piccolo, etc) face off against Freeza to protect Earth. The soldiers who attack the five are instructed by Freeza that whichever one kills Kuririn will receive whichever planet they like as a reward.

Episode 22: Undecided
Having been reborn as the mightiest of warriors after serving as Freeza’s training partner, Tagoma of the Freeza Army mercilessly attacks Gohan and the others. And then Tagoma changes bodies with Ginyu (previously captain of the Freeza Army's mightiest unit, who became stuck in the form of a frog due to his special ability), achieving an even further power-up.
Part of me still believes this "Ginyu" thing is going to turn out to be bogus, but the image seems real...though I'm no Photoshop expert or anything. Hmm...

Bonus Stage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bonus Stage » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiXhWAgVPw

Transcription of the Spanish subtitles.

2:15 ~ 2:29
Yamamuro: "Gohan is not aggressive and he wants to be a scientist, so in this film (Fukkatsu no F) has had less importance".

5:42 ~ 5:52
Yamamuro: "Vegeta is very important in Dragon Ball, but will never surpass Goku".

6:56 ~ 7:53
Interviewer: "Old movies are separate stories of the manga and anime, but the last two movies and Dragon Ball Super seem two versions of the same story, repeating characters and situations. It will always be like this? Are always two ways of telling the same story?".

Yamamuro: "There are THREE films(!!!). Battle of Gods, Fukkatsu in F and another. This trilogy (!!!) will be shown in Dragon Ball Super, which explains better the history of movies.
Last edited by Bonus Stage on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:17 pm

So Dragon Ball Super is really just a TV re-telling of 3 movies with more details? :(

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Bonus Stage wrote:
6:56 ~ 7:53
Interviewer: "Old movies are separate stories of the manga and anime, but the last two movies and Dragon Ball Super seem two versions of the same story, repeating characters and situations. It will always be like this? Are always two ways of telling the same story?".

Nakamura: "There are THREE films(!!!). Battle of Gods, Fukkatsu in F and another. This trilogy (!!!) will be shown in Dragon Ball Super, which explains better the history of movies.
I don't trust those subs :P
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1012325
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Bonus Stage wrote:Interviewer: "Old movies are separate stories of the manga and anime, but the last two movies and Dragon Ball Super seem two versions of the same story, repeating characters and situations. It will always be like this? Are always two ways of telling the same story?".

Nakamura: "There are THREE films(!!!). Battle of Gods, Fukkatsu in F and another. This trilogy (!!!) will be shown in Dragon Ball Super, which explains better the history of movies.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but that simply isn't an accurate translation of what is said in Japanese (and the man's name is "Yamamuro" rather than "Nakamura"). It's more like this:
Interviewer: "Before now, the movies and TV anime have had totally different stories, but...Well for instance, I think story-wise Super is parallel with Battle of Gods, or this current one we saw today [Revival of "F"]. So they're creating different versions of the same story. My question is, will Dragon Ball continue in this trend going forward?"

Yamamuro: "Currently a slightly more detailed version of Revival of "F" is being broadcast on TV, and...ah...there was Battle of Gods, then after that came Revival of "F", so here we're adding in that...original...[Toriyama-]sensei's original thing, something different."
So A) no mention of "three movies", B) Yamamuro mentions an "original thing" from Toriyama only in the context of coming after Super's "more detailed" retellings of BoG and RoF on TV. In other words, it only sounds like a reference to the upcoming Universe 6 storyline that we know Toriyama is contributing for Super. As Kei notes in the other thread (linked to above), the interviewer seems to think Yamamuro is referring to a new movie, but this is probably just a misinterpretation on his part. Certainly nothing Yamamuro himself says points definitively towards any new movie; he himself is just talking about what's in store for Super down the road.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Episode 21: “The Revenge Begins! The Freeza Army's Malice Strikes Gohan!"
Bulma learns from Jaco that the resurrected Freeza is bringing 1,000 soldiers and will attack in about one hour. She hurries to relay this information to Whis, but is unable to get in touch with him right away. And so five warriors on Earth (including Goku’s son Gohan, Piccolo, etc) face off against Freeza to protect Earth. The soldiers who attack the five are instructed by Freeza that whichever one kills Kuririn will receive whichever planet they like as a reward.
I'm not sure how to feel about this... :|
Poor Krillin :(
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Herms wrote:Episode 21: “The Revenge Begins! The Freeza Army's Malice Strikes Gohan!"
Hmm. Kinda disappointed that they're still sticking with just Gohan, Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Roshi when they are are apparently willing to veer off course with stuff like Tagoma and Ginyu...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Bonus Stage wrote: Nakamura: "Vegeta is very important in Dragon Ball.
Good to know he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.