Which incarnation of Hell do you prefer?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Which incarnation of Hell do you prefer?

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Just to celebrate Dragon Ball's 31st year, this series is known for "two" versions of Hell. In the original 1989-1997 anime, Hell is located below Snake Way in the Afterlife within Enma-Daio's jurisdiction which contains a Bloody Pond, spikes, etc... However, in Akira Toriyama's recent version, Hell has a pink tree, yellow flowers, cute angels and stuffed animals.

In short, which version of Hell do you like?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Which incarnation of Hell do you prefer?

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Original Hell hands f'n down
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:10 pm

New one, they keep villains in coccons, and there is some charm in having all villains in cute world with Dr. Slump like characters, however, thanks to dunderheads from Kai writers, we dont know with Hell is correct one
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm not convinced they aren't the same Hell yet. Toriyama gave the anime staff his own notes for that Hell filler in early Z, and said Hell material mentions that filler only takes place in a single "Block" of Hell. Still entirely possible that the "Earth's Hell" Freeza bitches about is another Block of that same Hell, or another sub section used prior to purification or something...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

divad86

Post by divad86 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:34 pm

The recent version of Hell. Although the anime version of Hell or should I say HFIL is what I grew up with, I like new version more. In the anime's Hell the named villains have their bodies which if I remember, getting to keep ones body was a privilege given to good people in Heaven. Also they aren't tortured, they just stand around and will occasionally pick fights with the onis. It's basically a minimum security prison. In the new version you do see Freeza being tortured by having to look at and listen to dancing and singing fairies and teddy bears. I do know that Piccolo told Vegeta that when Vegeta would die and go to Hell he would lose his body and memories of his past life but considering all the terrible things that Freeza did, keeping him in his cyborg body dangling from a tree looking and listening to cute things frolic and dance while also thinking about how he got his butt handed to him by a bunch of low life monkeys is a great torture.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:38 pm

There are 4 versions of Hell if we count GT's darker, more gritty one and Janemba's altered Hell from Fusion Reborn.

GT and Fusion Reborn's actually look like what you'd imagine hell to be like. DBZ's Hell seems like a nice place, which has always felt off to me, but I really like the design. What I hate about all of these is that the villains keep their bodies. Not only that, but they also seem pretty chill/conformed, especially in DBZ. That completely defeats the purpose of this realm. Super's Hell makes the most sense because the villains are imprisoned and psychologically tortured for all eternity (or until they remain there). Not to mention, in the previous episode, it appears this new hell has multiple layers (there were demons and lava in the top level, IIRC). For this reason, I have to choose modern DB Hell.

My quintessential Hell would combine elements of each of these. The torment would be a process. First, the villains keep their bodies, but are stripped of all their powers and forced to reside in the environment seen in either GT or DBZ's Hell. Second, little by little, they lose possession of their bodies, transform into spirit clouds, and are later thrown into a cleansing/reincarnation machine by the ogres. Third, while their souls are "cleansed," they consciously find themselves in a cocoon, suffering the same fate as Frieza. And finally, they are reincarnated. =D
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:07 pm

I prefer the original Hell where the Kai's control the villains by having super powerful warriors like Pikkon control any outbursts from villains and keep them in check.

I mean what can Freeza and Cell really do down there if they know Pikkon can swoop down and knock them out again? I also imagine there's no way for them to train down there so they can't get any stronger from the way they died.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:24 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm not convinced they aren't the same Hell yet. Toriyama gave the anime staff his own notes for that Hell filler in early Z, and said Hell material mentions that filler only takes place in a single "Block" of Hell. Still entirely possible that the "Earth's Hell" Freeza bitches about is another Block of that same Hell, or another sub section used prior to purification or something...
I agree, I mean, Freeza kept his body as he was suspended. It's very well possible the only difference between Toriyama's notes to Toei and now is that Toei decided Hell would be more of an anarchy, and in RoF, they actually imprison the strong foes. It could be a mix between the two.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Well, the early Z version of Hell only featured the spirit clouds and stays in line with the manga. It's only once you get to the Paikuhan material that things deviate form the course (the Ginyu Sauad filler on Kaio's is excusable since they likely kept their bodies as part of his request and could have been stripped of them later). Likewise, as per Shenlong's statement to Sorbet, Freeza's body was still in pieces, so whatever it was we saw in that cocoon, it wasn't the same as all the other bodies we've seen in the series or in Toei's filler. So the two versions of Hell that Toriyama had direct input on don't contradict each other, which is why I hold on to the possibility that they could still be part of the same place.

Post Cell Arc and GT Hell are a different story. They outright function on different rules. Movie 12 is okay though, as the villains getting their bodies and the new look of Hell is stated to be the result of Janenba distorting everything. Vegeta and everyone else lose their bodies once he's defeated and the original appearance returns as well; no actual contradictions to early Z or "F".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm not convinced they aren't the same Hell yet. Toriyama gave the anime staff his own notes for that Hell filler in early Z, and said Hell material mentions that filler only takes place in a single "Block" of Hell. Still entirely possible that the "Earth's Hell" Freeza bitches about is another Block of that same Hell, or another sub section used prior to purification or something...
I agree, I mean, Freeza kept his body as he was suspended. It's very well possible the only difference between Toriyama's notes to Toei and now is that Toei decided Hell would be more of an anarchy, and in RoF, they actually imprison the strong foes. It could be a mix between the two.
I'm also pretty convinced they're the same hell and that there's just different "departments". I haven't read Dante's Inferno, but I think Dragon Ball's hell is probably like that. Personalized sections of awfulness and whatnot. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Hell in ROF feels like something wacky that Toriyama would come up with. Hell in the anime didn't make much sense to me. As I said before, why is Freeza back to his 4th form after death while Dr. Gero is still a cyborg in Hell. How come he is not human again in the anime fillers and GT after death?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:05 pm

The Toriyama Hell just for the fact that it didn't have villains just running around in their bodies doing whatever the heck they wanted.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:17 am

There's something to like about them all, but I can't help but feel the Hell from Dragon Ball Z never quite got a good shake in terms of bringing back old foes and having them interact.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:23 am

JulieYBM wrote:There's something to like about them all, but I can't help but feel the Hell from Dragon Ball Z never quite got a good shake in terms of bringing back old foes and having them interact.
I always found it odd we didn't see Zarbon/Dodoria with Freeza and the Ginyu Force. Not to mention we never got to see Radditz or Nappa down there in DBZ.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:45 am

I like Freeza's hell, but we can't be sure that it's the same one that other villains get. He simply could've been put there because he was so evil. He's the most evil, rotten villain in history. Almost an alien version of Hitler. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Freeza was put there because he's him, while other villains were put in Saban's "Home for Infinite Losers."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:00 am

Hell is vast, it could have many different areas with varying degrees of severity. In Supernatural, parts of hell have people strung up by steel chains and meat hooks, while other parts have people waiting in lines because people hate waiting in lines. Perhaps Freeza is in his own personal Hell as cute things dancing and singing would be akin to torture for someone like him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:38 am

I'm pretty sure the reason why the "new" Hell is all cutesy is because it's Freeza's personal hell. Basically, it's pure torture for him to be sitting around there, surrounded by all of that. If it were General Blue, for example, who is flamboyant and likes all the cutesy stuff, I'm sure his personal hell would be much different.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Was there any proof that there is different parts of Hell or different circles of Hell? I always assume that Hell is just one big place in the DB universe.
She/Her

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Was there any proof that there is different parts of Hell or different circles of Hell? I always assume that Hell is just one big place in the DB universe.
RoF opening shows that there are different layers at least with Freeza's Hell being below some deep-sea part of Hell. Super shows the lava planet and the ice planet and the aforementioned layer of deep-sea Hell before we get to Freeza.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Oh how silly of me to totally forgot about :oops: .
She/Her