Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Post by precita » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Especially now that the word filter is gone, do you get triggered seeing dub names on the forums? Like Tien, King Kai, Hercule, Pikkon, etc.

And when you see people making posts using the dub names instead of the original, do you think lowly of them because they're likely trying to make a point based on inaccurate dub scripts than what was intended? I even remember a few months ago there was a small debate of Krillin Vs. Kuririn even though the former is a proper translation.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you get bothered seeing dub names?

Post by MajinMan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:07 am

I could honestly care less. I'm just surprised that a website that is primarily focused on the Japanese version would remove the filter. Maybe they're just either updating it or there was an error in the system. In the end it doesn't matter.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:15 am

Eh, besides Tien and Frieza I could not care less.
MajinMan wrote:I could honestly care less. I'm just surprised that a website that is primarily focused on the Japanese version would remove the filter. Maybe they're just either updating it or there was an error in the system. In the end it doesn't matter.
There still is a word filter but only for misspelling. IE Frei/za to Freeza
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 am

I don't have a problem with any of the dub character names. Stuff like Tien and Master Roshi sounds far less awkward than "Tenshinhan" and "Muten Roshi" in a casual conversation.

The only dub term i actively dislike is "Destructo Disk", for obvious reasons.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:47 am

precita wrote:Especially now that the word filter is gone, do you get triggered seeing dub names on the forums? Like Tien, King Kai, Hercule, Pikkon, etc.

And when you see people making posts using the dub names instead of the original, do you think lowly of them because they're likely trying to make a point based on inaccurate dub scripts than what was intended? I even remember a few months ago there was a small debate of Krillin Vs. Kuririn even though the former is a proper translation.
I mean King Kai and Master Roshi are a bit redundant, but they don't bother me much as they just aren't awkward. Pikkon and Krillin aren't going away anytime soon either and they're reasonable enough to me. I don't like reading Frieza or Tien much. I think Tenshinhan is altogether better look and easy enough to say, or even just Ten.
Kakacarrottop wrote: The only dub term i actively dislike is "Destructo Disk", for obvious reasons.
Kienzan is so much better, I 100% agree, this is one that embarrasses me by proxy lol.
To be honest though, overall I use whichever comes to mind fastest. Besides Mark (or Mr. Satan) and Tenshinhan most of these are reasonable or excusable I'd think, since it's a small and slightly stale topic.
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:54 am

I don't care for any of the dub terms anymore, but while they also don't really bother me, I guess Hercules without the "s" still bothers me. Mostly because it's still used by Viz and the video games.

Though, now that I think of it, "Hero" for Shen and "Shen" for the Crane hermit bother me. It's something that could legitimately cause confusion in conversations, and it makes zero sense.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:04 am

Oh yeah I forgot about other Pre-Z quirks, those are a little bothersome, but it's just been so many years. On the other hand Satan's given name is Mark and we've known this in the US for what almost 7 years? I've NEVER heard this used casually though. To be fair, you don't hear the Androids given names used either though, since all 3 of these have proper placenames already

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:05 am

In the localized videogames can you change the names/voices to Japanese? I haven't bought any DBZ videogames in like a decade so I have no idea if you can do this. Or do U.S. copies only come with the dub names and voices?

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 am

They're mostly interchangeable.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:46 am

I do get bothered a little bit, but at least now i can see who i can take serously.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:02 am

Not in the slightest, I actually still switch between them here and there, depending who I talk to about dragon ball. I only get a slight twitch when people butcher a pronunciation...like a friend of mine who pronounces Broly as Brawly or Bora as Buura.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:07 am

Before,i didn't care about it.Until i started to realize how stupid it is to change the name for no reason whatsoever and just destroyed the pun names for characters like Tullece and some is just corny/silly.Krillin and Cooler are the only dub names i can dig on.

Kienzan = Destructo Disc

Freeza = Frieza

Tenshinhan = Tien Shinhan

Vegetto = Vegito

Tullece = Turles

Mr.Satan = H-E-R-C-U-L-E

Makankossapo = Special Beam Cannon

Genki Dama = Spirit Bomb

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:37 am

I don't really care most of them, but I can't stand "Pikkon." It's the most meaningless and confusing change.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:19 am

"Frieza" is the only one that bothers me. "ei" and "ie" words can be a hassle to me sometimes. That's actually my main reason for preferring "Freeza". Also I like it better when it sounds like it looks. It's free-za, not fry-za after all.
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:21 am

I couldn't care less to be honest, I respect the Japanese version because it's the original and a great series but a lot of people (myself included) grew up with the dub names and you can't blame them for feeling that using those names is more natural.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:36 am

You know even to this day I have no idea how to write the names of the Ginyu Force, particularly Jeice and Burter. I've seen them spelled so many different ways I just go with FUNI's version.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:56 am

precita wrote:You know even to this day I have no idea how to write the names of the Ginyu Force, particularly Jeice and Burter. I've seen them spelled so many different ways I just go with FUNI's version.
IIRC,it's correct spelling is Jheese,Burta and Gurd.Which is a pun to Cheese and Butter (No idea about Gurd tho)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:13 am

Not particularly. It's only really "Hercule" that bugs me because... Well, it's not even remotely close to being a translation. It's just made up nonsense.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:32 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:I don't have a problem with any of the dub character names. Stuff like Tien and Master Roshi sounds far less awkward than "Tenshinhan" and "Muten Roshi" in a casual conversation.

The only dub term i actively dislike is "Destructo Disk", for obvious reasons.
What is the "obvious reason" I'm missing for this compared with "Tenshinhan"...?
precita wrote:In the localized videogames can you change the names/voices to Japanese? I haven't bought any DBZ videogames in like a decade so I have no idea if you can do this. Or do U.S. copies only come with the dub names and voices?
Yes, in basically every game that's come out since the Budokai 3 re-release*, the Japanese voices are an option to be selected. This doesn't change any name spellings throughout the game, though.

(*There are a few holdouts like Super Dragon Ball Z which is dub-only in America and JP-only in Europe, Attack of the Saiyans and Extreme Butoden which are JP-only, and Battle of Z on Vita which launched only with English voices but added JP voices in a later patch.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:12 am

VegettoEX wrote: What is the "obvious reason" I'm missing for this compared with "Tenshinhan"...?
Because it's far easier to say and reference in a casual conversation, like he said. Ten wouldn't work because it's a number. Tenshinhan is much more of a mouthful and it's not a kind of name people are used to. Tien works in those aspects.