Forum Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Forum Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 am

Ever since we launched Kanzenshuu back in 2012 we've been running relatively the same version of phpBB as our forum software. I am currently preparing to upgrade the forum from version 3.0 to 3.1, which despite being a minor stage release, it is a rather significant jump in terms of functionality and scripting. Unfortunately, as the official phpBB website says, "Upgrading to phpBB 3.1 will render previously installed MODifications and styles unusable." Because of this, I've prepared as much as I can ahead of time to hopefully help decrease the downtime while I make the transition. The largest chunk of time will be spent backing up and then upgrading our massively large forum database to be compatible with phpBB 3.1, so please be patient because I really have no idea how long this will actually take (it's the only thing I can't test out ahead of time).

I have recreated our current theme layout and replicated as much of the forum's functionality as I can to ensure a similar user experience between the two versions. Naturally some things will be different, but for the most part, it will mostly be an upgrade on the back-end side of things that will help me sleep better at night. Of course some additional features and functionality will be added on the front-end for the day-to-day user, so look forward to that.

Keep an eye on this thread for any additional updates and details. I'm not exactly sure yet when I'll be doing the upgrade, as it will be whenever I have the time, so I unfortunately will not be giving too much notice prior to the downtime. For updates while the forum is down, be sure to check either the site's Twitter account or my personal account.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Hujio

Re: Forum Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:59 pm

I will be updating the forum within the next few hours. Unfortunately everyone will have to find something else to do to occupy their time, as the forum will be unavailable. You may experience errors if you try visiting the forum during the upgrade, so I ask everyone avoid visiting until I give the all clear. Thanks!

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:50 am

The forum upgrade is complete! Keep an eye out for an official announcement thread tomorrow where we'll be answering questions, doing an overview of new things, and anything else we can think of that needs to be covered. Thanks for your patience everyone! :thumbup: :wave:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Welcome to the Big Forum Update of 2016 (you know, that thing we did a few days back)! Actually, that's over-selling it. It's not that big for you folks. If anything, it's just for the admins here. Security updates, back-end stuff, all that jazz. To make it work, a bunch of crazy scripting and code rewriting had to happen, so be sure to thank your Forum Functionality Overlord™ Hujio for all the insane work. That all being said, we have indeed updated a few etiquette/rules/functionality items that will actually be of interest to you.

Responsive Theme
To match the main website, the forum now features a responsive theme for those of you always checking in on the go. Give it a try on your tablet or smartphone!

Better Notifications
Notification functionality has been improved as a part of this upgrade. Check the upper-right where you can more easily be notified about posts you have subscribed to, been quoted in, etc. Very handy and useful stuff there.

WebM Support
So long, animated GIFs! Well, you can still use them, but you're also encouraged to use WebM, a media file format specifically geared toward showing these kinds of examples. Animation discussion has been a huge part of the Kanzenshuu community since the very beginning, and it makes sense for the discussion to evolve with the technology.

Post Editing Privileges
We are shifting to a style that is commonly used across the Internet: topic creators may edit their initial post indefinitely (useful for "Official Topic/Thread"-type discussions, or collections of information), while individual responses from other users may only be edited up to two hours after the initial posting (as opposed to being open for editing indefinitely). Kanzenshuu is about documenting history, and specifically that history as it originally happened and was originally stated. While we of course think people should have a little bit to reflect on what they post, part of being a responsible Internet citizen is understanding that what you say remains online forever. You are creating history as you leave your comments; that is something "awesome" in the actual sense of that word, and should be treated with respect and care as your contributions become part of a greater whole.

Minor Quirks Still Being Worked On
With the install of this forum dating back to 2004, the insane size of the database, and the cross-talking with the website's content management system, even minor software upgrades turn everything into a "major" upgrade for us. There are still a few things being worked on, but since everything else basically went through and works more than well-enough, we didn't let them hold us back any longer than was absolutely necessary. If you see anything in particular/specific that actually seems to break or not work as expected, by all means let us know, but rest assured it's probably already known and we're getting to it!

And that's pretty much the gist of it! Again, it's more admin functionality/security stuff than end-user stuff, but a few niceties came along as a part of it. Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Big thanks to both of you, VegettoEX and Hujio, along with the other admins for making this forum a great place!

Keep up the awesome work, and I hope this site continues on for many years to come!

Oh, and the update's pretty good too.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Not sure if this is thw right places but, does the notification system works only in threads I'm subscribed or that I bookmarked (also what's the difference between the two?).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Gotta say, I am loving the notifications thing. It wasn't really necessary in regards to PM's since those always seem to pop up and let you know, but for places where you're quoted? It's a really easy way to know that someone is likely replying back to you in a thread. It's really handy in that regard.

I do have a (potentially) stupid question in regards to the new thread icons though, just to make sure I understand what they're telling me. If you see a flame icon, that means it's a 'hot' thread which I assume means it's getting a crapton of views and posts both, most likely in a fairly fast turnaround time. The dots mean you have yourself posted in that thread at some point in the past. What about the rings around the icon though? I'm guessing them being red means there's been at least one new post in there since you last looked at the thread?

Again, probably a stupid question, just wanna make sure I'm taking it all in properly though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm

For phpBB-specific questions, I would recommend checking out the official documentation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 pm

I am absolutely loving the upgrade! Thanks so much for all your hard work. It's definitely appreciated.

There is also something else that's changed that I haven't seen mentioned. Maybe it only ever affected me. But I got a MacBook last year, and for some reason, it never lets me stay logged in on this forum and this forum only. I go over to my old PC. I'm still logged in. But for the past year I have literally had to log in (vainly clicking the stay logged in option) at least twice a day, if not more. But ever since the upgrade, I have not had to log in a single time. I have no idea what happened to cause that to change, but you can be sure I am thankful for it!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Appreciate the effort, I really do :thumbup: But not to sound ungrateful there is a slight problem everytime I login in I get this error: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_user_logged_in() in /home/kanzenshuu/kanzenshuu.com/forum/includes/functions.php on line 2922", have to go back and refresh then I am logged in, nothing major but a bit annoying.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I do have a (potentially) stupid question in regards to the new thread icons though, just to make sure I understand what they're telling me. If you see a flame icon, that means it's a 'hot' thread which I assume means it's getting a crapton of views and posts both, most likely in a fairly fast turnaround time. The dots mean you have yourself posted in that thread at some point in the past. What about the rings around the icon though? I'm guessing them being red means there's been at least one new post in there since you last looked at the thread?
All correct.

I do wish the "hot" icon was a different colour since the other icons turn orange when they're unread, but the "hot" icon is forever orange, so I'm always having to look for whether the ring is coloured, too. Bit annoying -- especially on a high-res monitor where that stuff is tiny.

Wonder if it's possible to change it so that hot threads keep the icon, but the icons turns greyscale when there are no new posts.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Yay.

And a quote system is what I've been asking. Very nice work guys!

All that's left is a like button.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Can I make a request?

I would like a word filter system. Perhaps adding or picking words that you want filtered out.

Thanks!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Can I make a request?

I would like a word filter system. Perhaps adding or picking words that you want filtered out.

Thanks!
Couldn't help but laugh it that.
Anyway loving thee update, though I had little trouble a day or two ago, where I couldn't quote, edit, report or delete something, and a big star was smack dab in the middle and made it very had to post anything. It's fixed now thankful.
Also isn't 2 hours to little of a time limit ? I don't think it should be for ever, but still :?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:06 am

I've only been able to view it on mobile devices but so far it looks pretty good and I really like the notifications feature.

One thing that isn't so grand is removing a members right to edit their posts. I understand your reasoning, but I just don't think it justifies something that extreme. It should be the members right to be responsible for their posts, whether they posted it 10 seconds or 10 years ago. An embarrassing post a member made when they were 13 isn't some historical document, it's something they obviously don't want someone to see, whether it be for a trivial or personal reason. Removing that right is in essence removing their human right to preserve their dignity/image. Two hours is in no way a long enough time limit for someone to notice subjective mistakes that could deeply regret years from now.

I know a member should be responsible when posting in the first place and Kanzenshuu has always had high standards, but I should feel like I'm having a conversation about Dragonball; not like I'm signing a legally binding document that will end up on some kind of permanent record.

There's upkeeping a strict, professional styled forum, and then there's just being a control freak. C'mon, you guys are better than this.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:09 am

First of all, thanks to everyone for their patience. I really appreciate it. These things are never easy, unfortunately. Also, thanks to Mike for finally getting that announcement post up. :wink:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Not sure if this is thw right places but, does the notification system works only in threads I'm subscribed or that I bookmarked (also what's the difference between the two?).
The notification system works however you set it up to work. You can change your notification settings in your User Control Panel. As for the difference, a bookmark is essentially like the bookmark function in your browser; a link you're saving for future and easier reference. Subscriptions are forums or individual topics that you have elected to watch for any new posts.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:If you see a flame icon, that means it's a 'hot' thread which I assume means it's getting a crapton of views and posts both, most likely in a fairly fast turnaround time. The dots mean you have yourself posted in that thread at some point in the past. What about the rings around the icon though? I'm guessing them being red means there's been at least one new post in there since you last looked at the thread?
Believe it or not, the "hot" topics are really just based on post counts. We actually had them set up before, but this version changed how the icon image set is imported and now they apparently show up. I have no idea if we'll keep them, since we haven't discussed it internally yet, but for now they're there. If it's red there's a new post, and blue indicates a hot topic you've read. The rest of the icons are set up exactly the same as before.
Gaffer Tape wrote:But ever since the upgrade, I have not had to log in a single time. I have no idea what happened to cause that to change, but you can be sure I am thankful for it!
I'm guessing this was probably caused by our bridge between WP and phpBB, which currently isn't active (which is what's causing many of the errors people may be encountering). However, we are now using a new bridge, so hopefully you won't experience this problem. That said, I never had this issue with the old bridge, so who knows?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:everytime I login in I get this error: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_user_logged_in() in /home/kanzenshuu/kanzenshuu.com/forum/includes/functions.php on line 2922", have to go back and refresh then I am logged in, nothing major but a bit annoying.
I'm aware of this issue. While I agree it's annoying, it isn't really anything major. The forum is just having issues clearing your cookie information, which is something a refresh on that page quickly solves.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:10 am

Hujio wrote:I'm guessing this was probably caused by our bridge between WP and phpBB, which currently isn't active (which is what's causing many of the errors people may be encountering). However, we are now using a new bridge, so hopefully you won't experience this problem. That said, I never had this issue with the old bridge, so who knows?
Would that bridge have something to do with my inability to login (and therefore comment) on the main site? There used to be a login box on the right.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:20 am

Yes, that was the culprit. I'm hoping to stop that from happening again, which is one reason the bridge isn't active yet.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm

The bridge between the site and forum is active again. If anyone notices any oddities (like multiple posts), errors, or anything you're unsure about, please let me know right away. Thanks!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:05 pm

There's a weird error happening sometimes, but it fixes when I refresh the page.

"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra