Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Re: Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Post by FrogTrigger » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 pm

tinlunlau wrote:
FrogTrigger wrote:Rza and the whole Wu tang

Stephen chow too iirc
Stephen Chow is very well professed with Shonen Jump in general. If you watched interviews of him in his office (via remaster dvd's for some of his older films), you can see that his office is filled with complete sets of Shonen Jump manga. He even highly recommends City Hunter in "Fight Back to School 2"
Oh wow, that's real dope! I didn't know any of that or have any of his older films on dvd

The things you learn right? Thanks dude :)

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Chris Brown likes it he had Goku as his instagram profile pic and posted a lot of dragon ball art on his insta too and I seen a few cute models who like dragon ball. Some rappers also reference dragon ball in their songs as well.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:39 am

RZA is definitely "A-list" if you're into rap.

Anyway, someone said the Rock is a fan. I need this to be true.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 am

FrogTrigger wrote:
B wrote:
Bullza wrote:So it looks like Jackie Chan is the only A list celebrity that's a fan?

Christina Aguilera isn't necessarily a fan just because a poster appeared in a music video and the rest are D list material.
Snoop Dogg and RZA(if that can substantiated) are at least C-list.
If I can find the excerpt from his book where he uh talks about the saiyans I'll post it

Here's a link talking about it

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/phil ... black-men/

The mix of five percenters/Mathematics stuff with anime is interesting
He's joking right? Or should I be asking the fuck is wrong with this guy? :D
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:40 am

Waka Flaka mentions Goku in a couple of verses, u can count him in.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:40 am

Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) were caught on film performing great saiyaman poses between shots when filming Thor the Darkworld.

Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:58 am

Well people like Ronda Rousey and Shaquille O'neal were seen wearing a "Train Insaiyan" shirt with a picture of Vegeta powering up while they work out, so I would assume they would be fans of Dragonball.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:22 pm

voltlunok wrote:Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) were caught on film performing great saiyaman poses between shots when filming Thor the Darkworld.
I thought Great Saiyaman was using common Super Sentai poses?

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
voltlunok wrote:Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) were caught on film performing great saiyaman poses between shots when filming Thor the Darkworld.
I thought Great Saiyaman was using common Super Sentai poses?
No, infact Great Saiyaman is more inline with Super Sentai's timeslot buddy Kamen Rider then he is with Super Sentai. (At least in terms of design.) However ONE of his poses is probably reference to Himitsu Sentai Goranger (The very first super sentai.) though there is also the chance that pose is also referencing one of the iconic Mr Universe poses. But his other poses seem to be more "In the spirit of" tokustatsu posing rather then directly referencing any particular poses from specific Sentai members or Kamen Riders. Cause in my time watching a LOT of super sentai and Kamen rider, as well as a lot of misc. tokusatsu, I don't think I've every seen anyone perform that Arches pose, either that or it was a one off pose that got lost in my mental shuffle.

[spoiler]Goranger

Great Saiyaman

Mr Universe pose
Image[/spoiler]
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) were caught on film performing great saiyaman poses between shots when filming Thor the Darkworld.
Nah that's Usain Bolt and Mo Farah's famous signature.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Bullza wrote:
Nah that's Usain Bolt and Mo Farah's famous signature.
Not quite, Usain Bolt's pose has only his pointer fingers extended, meanwhile Hemsworth has both his hands flat and extended like Saiyaman's pose. The other pose Hiddleston is performing, that one is a toss up for me. He seems to be doing a lazy "I'll answer you with this!" pose but for all we know...he's just doing the Arches from those old "Do the arches!" commercials from McDonalds.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Ehhh I find it a bit hard to believe that a major star like Chris Hemsworth would replicate Great Saiyaman's pose and then another major star like Tom Hiddleston would notice that and then do a Great Saiyaman pose of his own to match.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Bullza wrote:Ehhh I find it a bit hard to believe that a major star like Chris Hemsworth would replicate Great Saiyaman's pose and then another major star like Tom Hiddleston would notice that and then do a Great Saiyaman pose of his own to match.
Why? We have stars like Jackie Chan being fans of dragon ball, Snoop Dogg saying Gogeta is a G, rappers of high and low fame being fans of dragon ball...yet this is the unbelievable thing? Two dudes between shots throwing out quick poses from DB? We talk about how Dragon Ball is this massive huge thing across the world and yet we doubt two actors who play comic book characters, referencing something from an anime that would have been airing when they were teenagers? That sounds a little odd to me.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Because Usain Bolt's and Mo Farah's poses are more recognizable? How likely is it that they would even remember Great Saiyaman? Most casual fans remember the important plot elements like Goku transforming for the first time, or Gohan becoming SSJ2. I'd imagine less of these fans remember the main plot points of the Boo arc, let alone Great Saiyaman. Seems perfectly reasonable to me that they would mimic two of the fastest runners in the world rather than a comedic character in a less popular arc in a TV show they may have never watched to begin with.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:31 pm

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:Because Usain Bolt's and Mo Farah's poses are more recognizable? How likely is it that they would even remember Great Saiyaman? Most casual fans remember the important plot elements like Goku transforming for the first time, or Gohan becoming SSJ2. I'd imagine less of these fans remember the main plot points of the Boo arc, let alone Great Saiyaman. Seems perfectly reasonable to me that they would mimic two of the fastest runners in the world rather than a comedic character in a less popular arc in a TV show they may have never watched to begin with.
I have to respectfully disagree, first off, I'll point out again that Hemsworth's pose is much more in line with Saiyaman and not Bolt's pose. But this 'true fan' argument is really silly. So casual fans are incapable of remembering the Great Saiyaman arc or the Buu arc? That is utterly ridiculous.

Anyways, this entire discussion is derailing the thread, I see two actors having a silly moment, mimicking poses from Saiyaman. If you don't, that's fine. Have a nice day.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:18 pm

voltlunok wrote:Have a nice day.
Nice day to you to :P
Anyway,he's far from A-list, but Egoraptor from Egoraptor likes it.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:48 pm

I knew beforehand that some rappers are fans of Dragon Ball.

Some of the other names mentioned surprised me.

Rhonda Rousey was one I already knew. There's some video of her telling the cameraman about her crush she used to have on Vegeta.

Anyway, I don't know many celebrities that have explicitly mentioned liking Dragon Ball. What I do know is that there are some celebrities in Western shows and movies that make subtle or direct references to the Dragon Ball franchise.

Here are some examples:

Remember Justin Chatwin? In War of the Worlds? If you pause it just right, there is a figurine of Emperor Pilaf in his character's room.
LeeLee Sobieski's character in The Glass House tries to get her brother out of bed by telling him that she'll get him some Dragon Ball Z videos.
Maxwell Atoms's Billy and Mandy had an episode titled, "Chicken Ball Z"
Mr. Warburton's Codename: Kids Next Door had an episode that recreated the Goku vs. Frieza fight.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Anyway,he's far from a list, but Egoraptor from Egoraptor likes it.
A funny thing about that is in a Game Grumps episode I saw a little while ago when he imitated a Kamehameha he sounded more like Nozawa that Schemmel when doing it.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 pm

nite_jay wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Anyway,he's far from a list, but Egoraptor from Egoraptor likes it.
A funny thing about that is in a Game Grumps episode I saw a little while ago when he imitated a Kamehameha he sounded more like Nozawa that Schemmel when doing it.
I still remember his remix of Cha-la at the end of a part in SM64.
(BTW, those endslates are pointless AF, half the time, they weren't even fucking linked correctly, goodgamekevin)
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸