Legacy of Goku 4 Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Legacy of Goku 4 Discussion

Post by Sin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:17 am

Webfoot Technologies who were behind the Legacy of Goku games seem to be keen to release a successor to the franchise, the game will be crowdfunded and the type of game it will be would depend upon crowdfunding most likely. I'm unsure about the situation regarding the rights so if anybody could help clear this up that'd be useful to know.

News:
A This is what we're thinking... it will be possible for supporters to vote on multiple aspects of LOG 4. The RPG game(s) we end up making will depend on the level of funding reached. Examples are:
* Simply re-make LOG 1, 2 and 3 on modern hardware
* and/or create LOG 4, the next in the series after Buu's Fury
* Create LOG 1, 2, 3 and 4 as a single large game
* Use a 2D pixel art style as in the original games
* Use an updated 2D art style
* Use a 3D engine to make the RPG in a more modern style
* Which platforms will be supported - PC/MAC/Android are preferable, but iOS, 3DS, Wii-U and/or others are possible
* VR anyone? HTC Vive or Google Daydream?
Today's concept art will show some *possible* game mockups and some hi-res character design (assuming a full blown 3D RPG game). These graphics do not represent anything other than concepts, the actual game is not yet in development. The graphics also represent our artists just having fun.
We invite fans to submit their own mockups, and it's possible if your artwork fits the style chosen by the backers, we may ask you to contribute to the actual game.
Finally, thank you for all the interest. It's very exciting to see there is a fan base who loves the games. We've been dreaming of an opportunity to fix the problems in LOG 1, the balancing issues in LOG2 and LOG3 (and we'll talk about why that happened throughout the process) and/or finish the series.
Please help spread the word, this game will only be possible with fan support. Thanks again!
Concept imagery:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/WebfootGames/
Last edited by Sin on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Legacy of Goku 4 Discussion

Post by thaman91 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:14 pm

I did make a thread about it a few months ago: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34448

My guess is that they're going to make a "proof of concept" kind of thing, and then pitch it to Bandai so that it can be officially made. But yeah, I can't wait to see the upcoming screenshots. And I wonder what story arc they're going to cover. Will they do the original Dragon Ball, maybe GT, or what about Super? Personally, I'd like them to remake the 1st game with better controls/gameplay. But we'll find out soon I guess.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:46 pm

I would LOVE for it to be a game that covers the whole franchise up to end of DBZ, but I doubt that.
If it's just all of Z, like LOG1-3 put together and remade on the 3DS I'd play the hell outta that

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 pm

They haven't posted the graphic yet but they have revealed that the aim is to have LoG 1, 2, 3 & 4 in one game and that they will be crowdfunding the game.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:18 am

Sorry to double post but thought this seemed important, I've also added it to the first post
A This is what we're thinking... it will be possible for supporters to vote on multiple aspects of LOG 4. The RPG game(s) we end up making will depend on the level of funding reached. Examples are:
* Simply re-make LOG 1, 2 and 3 on modern hardware
* and/or create LOG 4, the next in the series after Buu's Fury
* Create LOG 1, 2, 3 and 4 as a single large game
* Use a 2D pixel art style as in the original games
* Use an updated 2D art style
* Use a 3D engine to make the RPG in a more modern style
* Which platforms will be supported - PC/MAC/Android are preferable, but iOS, 3DS, Wii-U and/or others are possible
* VR anyone? HTC Vive or Google Daydream?
Today's concept art will show some *possible* game mockups and some hi-res character design (assuming a full blown 3D RPG game). These graphics do not represent anything other than concepts, the actual game is not yet in development. The graphics also represent our artists just having fun.
We invite fans to submit their own mockups, and it's possible if your artwork fits the style chosen by the backers, we may ask you to contribute to the actual game.
Finally, thank you for all the interest. It's very exciting to see there is a fan base who loves the games. We've been dreaming of an opportunity to fix the problems in LOG 1, the balancing issues in LOG2 and LOG3 (and we'll talk about why that happened throughout the process) and/or finish the series.
Please help spread the word, this game will only be possible with fan support. Thanks again!
Concept imagery:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Looks like they're showing off a few different concept styles to see which kind of game people want before they throw a concrete idea out for crowdfunding.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:05 am

Does Webfoot have the license to make this game?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:29 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Does Webfoot have the license to make this game?
I doubt it, judging by their constant affirmation that the concept images are 'made for fun' by their artists. However the fact they're clearly spending time and money on this shows a definite intent, it's likely they hope to pitch the game to Bandai Namco or they might have secured a deal that the game would be made if they can hit a target in crowdfunding much like the deal between Sony and Yu Suzuki for making Shenmue 3.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Well, if they can make a fun game and work out a deal with Bamco to Produce, I'd love to see a LOG4/compilation game. It will be interesting to see how this goes...
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 am

I really, really hope they will do a 2D game with LoG 1, 2, 3, 4 all in one game. They should just use Buu's Fury character progression throught all the game and it would be really fun. I think Buu's Fury was almost perfect, it was easy enough and very fun. It obviously can be improved though.
Maybe the game would lose its identity if they were to completely change the graphics, and it's also easier to do 2D graphics as before. They could aim for 3D for an eventual sequel.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 pm

LOG4 based on Super would be cool.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:06 am

Webfoot posted this to their facebook page, apparently the sprite was created by the original sprite artist for LoG:

I guess this is the style they are going for, no sign of the crowdfunding page yet though.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:42 am

Sin wrote:Webfoot posted this to their facebook page, apparently the sprite was created by the original sprite artist for LoG:

I guess this is the style they are going for, no sign of the crowdfunding page yet though.
This looks cool, but they should correct the sprite a little, it looks kinda weird
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

gipset

Post by gipset » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:32 pm

I just started playing this series again the other day, they really stepped it up game to game. The problem was the restrictions they had on the GBA and I can see them making a really great game using modern technology. I'm hoping they actually have conversations behind the scenes going on regarding licensing because the more games the better.

You know damn well I'm going to donate if they make a kickstarter.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am

LoG is the one of the best DB game sagas EVER! I'd be on board with the crowdfunding, hopely with a high tier for the specials and stuff.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Bit of a necropost, but was just seeing if there was any kind of update on this. Not sure if there is any real discussion to be had.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:50 am

Ah I got my hopes up there for a moment. Legacy of Goku 2 was a great game.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:26 pm

It's sad to see LoG4 will probably never happen, I don't even think they ever started to seriously work on it which is such a shame because I could see it being a highly successful game on mobile devices, especially in this period where Dragon Ball is as popular as ever thanks to Super.
I would definitely pay a few bucks for it, and I'm still hoping WebFoot will find a way to develop and release it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury were the first games I went out of my way to 100% that wasn't titled Pokémon Red Version

I hope for another game in the same vain one day.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:38 pm

If a LoG game was created, it would have to cover Dragon Ball Super.
I picture the title being Dragon Ball Super: The Legacy of Goku.

I personally (and I'm sure that many others would agree) would love to see the first one be remade where all the the flaws were corrected.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:37 am

Shame it'll never happen. The first Legacy of Goku was a miserable experience that I had to use the "invincibility" cheat you enter during the intro to even play. Legacy of Goku 2 was fantastic, and Buus Fury is one of my favorite Gameboy games of all time.