Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:00 pm

Why do I bring this up? Well, I've had these things with the DB dubs ever since I got back into the series, & anime overall, back in 2012 & got the DVDs, then binged the shows when I got all of them.
Kai seems to have the worst of them & I can't see why. Here's what I mean.

Cast inconsistencies: Chris Ayres takes over for Linda Young as Frieza (Freeza). Don't mind this one because I think his voice for the character fits a lot better & it's very much like Little Kuriboh's voice for him from DBZ Abridged. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what they were going for. They referenced it a few times as well as Chris Sabat being a huge fan of it & he & Kyle Hebert voiced a character each in some of the movies.

Gohan & 18 now voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard rather than Stephanie Nadolny & Meredith McCoy. I vastly prefer Gohan's original dub voice as Colleen only has 1 male voice; Luffy. It works for Luffy for me, but not Gohan. I will loath the day they do a Kai version of DB & she's now the voice of kid Goku.

18 is another case. Meredith McCoy has always voiced her in DBZ-related media dubbed by FUNimation...except here. It's even more baffling when they got her back for Battle of Gods, then 18's cameo for Ressurrection 'F', but then again, despite Ayers still voicing Frieza, those dubs catered more to older fans nostalgia-ridden over Z's dub than Kai, but the scripting is of the same quality of Kai, as well as their other current dubs, but I digress.
-I'll say this here, because they've gotten her back, & 18 has appearances in the Buu saga, that she's going to be voiced by McCoy rather than Clickenbeard. Nothing wrong with that, but it's going to lead to further inconsistencies in casting. Now, DBZ is no stranger to recasts of main characters (am I right, Ocean dub fans?), but I'd think they'd have McCoy rerecord the dialogue Clinkenbeard recorded for consistency's sake, since they've done that for Z & the TV airings of Kai versus the home releases, if they ever release a 'complete series' box set. Though since the DVDs & Blu-Rays of Kai have been in print for years now, that might be a lost cause hope. It's just something that's going to bug me when I end up binging the show years from now when the Buu Saga is on Blu-Ray & I've gotten the "season" sets for it to go with the rest I have.-
* Correction; she's still going to be voiced by Clinkenbeard for the rest of the Kai dub, but McCoy in Super. Same problem though. I just wish they'd have McCoy rerecord all of Clinkenbeard's lines & rerelease the show with her voice, but that may be asking too much.

The Ginyu Force cast. Minus Reccoome, & maybe one or two others, every member of the Ginyu Force are voiced by different actors. Not too bad, since it's no longer Sabat having to voice almost every one of them. Same goes for Popo, Guru, & a lot of tertiary characters.

This might sound weird, but I didn't exactly like the recasting of the TV reporter either. The voice just sounds weird to me.

Now, dub inconsistencies. Possibly the worst of all, but with possible explanations that make sense.
Attack names are the ones I'm talking here. Like Piccolo's "Makankosoppo" retaining its original name in the first arc, but then regaining its dub name, "Special Beam Cannon" later in the series when he uses it again.
Krillin's "Kienzan" at first having its original name, albeit incorrectly pronounced, then regaining its dub name later, "Destructo Disk." "Taiyoken" also regained its name at first when Krillin uses it, but Goku later calls it its original dub name, "Solar Flare."
Then Goku gets to say his Japanese name, "Son Goku," when he yells to Frieza, "I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" Later in Battle of Gods, he says "I am Sir Goku, sir," instead of "Son." Now, that last one might've been for the comedy, but why not just have Goku, Gohan, & Goten say their full names at least once & keep them? It's been 20 years since the first dub got recorded, so Why not? I'm doubting a lot of people would care & the ones who would that don't like it aren't real fans, as they would probably claim.

("Saiyan," no matter how much Japanese dub fans would love it to be, is never going to be pronounced as it's spelled, despite "Kaioken" being corrected finally. It's too ingrained in the dub at this point, so, sorry)

These inconsistencies, at least the first several, I believe, come from the fact that 1, the series was dubbed in 2 ways; one for the home releases, which can always be uncut, & 2, for airing on Nicktoons, which has slightly more strict censors than Cartoon Network did back in the day, blue Popo anyone? There's also the script producers changing slightly, apparently, from the Frieza Saga to the Cell Saga, & thus the scripting was handled by some different people. The first 2 reasons are most likely why though. I have a feeling they were scripted to say the attack names as they were in the original Japanese version, but the mixers screwed up for the uncut episodes. Honestly, I'm fine with either dub names, but having different names in the same dub is kind of sloppy.

These dub & casting inconsistencies are just weird & I think they should correct these. They've done that with Z, so it's not like it would be anything new. If nothing else, McCoy as 18 in the 3rd arc would definitely be an improvement.

Update: Just saw episode 1 of Super's dub. Anyone else thinking Alexis Tipton is killing it as Kid Trunks?
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:53 am

Scsigs wrote:Why do I bring this up? Well, I've had these things with the DB dubs ever since I got back into the series, & anime overall, back in 2012 & got the DVDs, then binged the shows when I got all of them.
Kai seems to have the worst of them & I can't see why. Here's what I mean.

Cast inconsistencies: Chris Ayres takes over for Linda Young as Frieza (Freeza). Don't mind this one because I think his voice for the character fits a lot better & it's very much like Little Kuriboh's voice for him from DBZ Abridged. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what they were going for. They referenced it a few times as well as Chris Sabat being a huge fan of it & he & Kyle Hebert voiced a character each in some of the movies.
Gohan & 18 now voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard rather than Stephanie Nadolny & Meredith McCoy. I vastly prefer Gohan's original dub voice as Colleen only has 1 male voice; Luffy. It works for Luffy for me, but not Gohan. I will loath the day they do a Kai version of DB & she's now the voice of kid Goku.
18 is another case. Meredith McCoy has always voiced her in DBZ-related media dubbed by FUNimation...except here. It's even more baffling when they got her back for Battle of Gods, then 18's cameo for Ressurrection 'F', but then again, despite Ayers still voicing Frieza, those dubs catered more to older fans nostalgia-ridden over Z's dub than Kai, but the scripting is of the same quality of Kai, as well as their other current dub, but I digress. I'll say this here, because they've gotten her back, & 18 has appearances in the Buu saga, that she's going to be voiced by McCoy rather than Clickenbeard. Nothing wrong with that, but it's going to lead to further inconsistencies in casting. Now, DBZ is no stranger to recasts of main characters, am I right, Ocean dub fans, but I'd think they'd have McCoy rerecord the dialogue Clinkenbeard recorded for consistency's sake, since they've done that for Z & the TV airings of Kai versus the home releases, if they ever release a 'complete series' box set. Though since the DVDs & Blu-Rays of Kai have been in print for years now, that might be a lost cause hope. It's just something that's going to bug me when I end up binging the show years from now when the Buu Saga is on Blu-Ray & I've gotten the "season" sets for it to go with the rest I have.
The Ginyu Force cast. Minus Reccoome, & maybe one or two others, every member of the Ginyu Force are voiced by different actors. Not too bad, since it's no longer Sabat having to voice almost every one of them. Same goes for Popo, Guru, & a lot of tertiary characters.
This might sound weird, but I didn't exactly like the recasting of the TV reporter either. The voice just sounds weird to me.

Now, dub inconsistencies. Possibly the worst of all, but with possible explanations that make sense.
Attack names are the one's I'm talking here. Like Piccolo's "Makankosoppo" retaining its original name in the first arc, but then regaining its dub name, "Special Beam Cannon" later in the series when he uses it again.
Krillin's "Kienzan" at first having its original name, albeit incorrectly pronounced, then regaining its dub name later, "Destructo Disk." "Taiyoken" also regained its name at first when Krillin uses it, but Goku later calls it its original dub name, "Solar Flare."
Then Goku gets to say his Japanese name, "Son Goku" when he yells to Frieza "I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" Later in Battle of Gods, he says "I am Sir Goku, sir" instead of "Son." Now, that last one might've been for the comedy, but why not just have Goku, Gohan, & Goten say their full names at least once & keep them? It's been 20 years since the first dub got recorded. Why not? I'm doubting a lot of people would care & the ones who would that don't like it aren't real fans, as they would probably claim.

("Saiyan," no matter how much Japanese dub fans would love it to be, is never going to be pronounced as it's spelled despite "Kaioken" being corrected finally. It's too engrained in the dub at this point, so, sorry)

These inconsistencies, at least the first several, I believe, come from the fact that 1, the series was dubbed in 2 ways; one for the home releases, which can always be uncut, & 2, for airing on Nicktoons, which has slightly more strict censors than Cartoon Network did back in the day, blue Popo anyone? There's also the script producers changing slightly, apparently, from the Frieza Saga to the Cell Saga, & thus the scripting was handled by some different people. The first 2 reasons are most likely why though. I have a feeling they were scripted to say the attack names as they were in the original Japanese version, but the mixers screwed up for the uncut episodes. Honestly, I'm fine with either dub names, but having different names in the same dub is kind of sloppy.

These dub & casting inconsistencies are just weird & I think they should correct these. They've done that with Z, so it's not like it would be anything new. If nothing else, McCoy as 18 in the 3rd arc would definitely be an improvement.
}}

Nicktoons didnt have Blue Popo. The CW's Vortexx and Toonzai did.
Marz wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:55 am

I thought they did too.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 am

They said Kaio knew instantaneous movement, which makes no sense.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:24 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:They said Kaio knew instantaneous movement, which makes no sense.
That's actually an inconsistency with Toriyama's writing, not the dub. It brings up a plot hole in that if he knew it when Goku went to train with him, why didn't he teach him it, or just teleport him to the registration desk to avoid all the travel time? Certainly would've saved a lot of trouble for the others. But, yeah, Toriyama wrote it in as a joke, but it doesn't work because it doesn't make sense.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:30 am

Scsigs wrote:I thought they did too.
Can actually confirm from old recordings I have of the Nick version; Popo was black

I think those recordings are actually the last time the series ever aired with the Yamamoto score now that I think about it

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:48 am

Scsigs wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:They said Kaio knew instantaneous movement, which makes no sense.
That's actually an inconsistency with Toriyama's writing, not the dub. It brings up a plot hole in that if he knew it when Goku went to train with him, why didn't he teach him it, or just teleport him to the registration desk to avoid all the travel time? Certainly would've saved a lot of trouble for the others. But, yeah, Toriyama wrote it in as a joke, but it doesn't work because it doesn't make sense.
I swear to christ that was a dub thing. Unless I'm being a idiot or just didn't read that part (I read Lunch as Launch for 3 years), I stand corrected.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:00 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I swear to christ that was a dub thing. Unless I'm being a idiot or just didn't read that part (I read Lunch as Launch for 3 years), I stand corrected.
I remember watching the dub of Kai with the subs for the Japanese version (I do this with all anime when available to see how close the dubs get) & I distinctly remember it being in both the dub & sub.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:10 am

Scsigs wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I remember watching the dub of Kai with the subs for the Japanese version (I do this with all anime when available to see how close the dubs get) & I distinctly remember it being in both the dub & sub.
Who translated it ? Simmons ? Dragon Team ?

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:16 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: I swear to christ that was a dub thing. Unless I'm being a idiot or just didn't read that part (I read Lunch as Launch for 3 years), I stand corrected.
Whoever translates DB media for FUNimation, I don't know.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:27 am

Scsigs wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Whoever translates DB media for FUNimation, I don't know.
Simmons. Well color me wrong, I thought that was a dub-ism.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:38 am

Kaio outright states he can't teleport people in the manga just before Goku starts running back down Snake Way though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:38 am

Again, retcon/inconsistency with the original writing.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:43 am

It's the same kind of thinking that went "let's turn potara fusion into the fusion dance, only with earrings instead!" & never thought that it didn't make sense, r went too far.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:03 am

I have no problem with any of the recasts. Matter of fact, I prefer every one of them to the original FUNi dub. I much prefer Clinkenbeard for Gohan as I've never much cared for Nadolny. Not only that, Clinkenbeard's acting is far superior to Nadolny's, though some of that may have to do with the direction. I've heard the argument a few times that she just sounds too much like Luffy and that puts people off but I have difficulty understanding how that's a problem. It's the same voice actress, of course there are going to be similarities. Whenever I'm watching Ninja Turtles, I don't get frustrated that Donatello sounds too much like Yakko, so why that bothers people with Luffy and Gohan is beyond me.

I also quite like Clinkenbeard as 18. In the original dub, it felt like they were trying too hard to have a "tough sounding female voice" in the role with McCoy, and I never liked it for that reason. Clinkenbeard in the role was one of the more refreshing Kai recasts for me. I've been worried ever since McCoy resurfaced in BOG and ROF that they'll put McCoy back into the role in the Buu saga, but I really hope they stick with Clinkenbeard, if only for consistency.

The inconsistent attack names are frustrating, I'll admit. Just stick with one. I think they've decided to stick with the crummy old dub names at this point, which I'm not exactly thrilled about, but at least there will be consistency from this point onward.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Scsigs wrote: I remember watching the dub of Kai with the subs for the Japanese version (I do this with all anime when available to see how close the dubs get) & I distinctly remember it being in both the dub & sub.
It's not in the original. The scene you're referring to is a gag where Kaio is hopping around Goku asking him questions. The dub made up some crap about Kaio knowing "Instant Transmission," but the original says nothing about that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:44 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:[spoiler]I have no problem with any of the recasts. Matter of fact, I prefer every one of them to the original FUNi dub. I much prefer Clinkenbeard for Gohan as I've never much cared for Nadolny. Not only that, Clinkenbeard's acting is far superior to Nadolny's, though some of that may have to do with the direction. I've heard the argument a few times that she just sounds too much like Luffy and that puts people off but I have difficulty understanding how that's a problem. It's the same voice actress, of course there are going to be similarities. Whenever I'm watching Ninja Turtles, I don't get frustrated that Donatello sounds too much like Yakko, so why that bothers people with Luffy and Gohan is beyond me.

I also quite like Clinkenbeard as 18. In the original dub, it felt like they were trying too hard to have a "tough sounding female voice" in the role with McCoy, and I never liked it for that reason. Clinkenbeard in the role was one of the more refreshing Kai recasts for me. I've been worried ever since McCoy resurfaced in BOG and ROF that they'll put McCoy back into the role in the Buu saga, but I really hope they stick with Clinkenbeard, if only for consistency.

The inconsistent attack names are frustrating, I'll admit. Just stick with one. I think they've decided to stick with the crummy old dub names at this point, which I'm not exactly thrilled about, but at least there will be consistency from this point onward.[/spoiler]
I agree with every single thing in here. I pretty much disliked every single one of the original dub voices and found the recasts to be infinitely better. Especially, Nadolny. That rasp was godawful at so many points. Heck, I'd say there should've been a lot more changes in the voices.

Seriously, who thought that it was a good idea to keep Schemmel as Kaioh? :crazy: And that's not even considering Kamesennin, Yajirobe, etc.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:46 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: I think those recordings are actually the last time the series ever aired with the Yamamoto score now that I think about it
I believe the first episode aired on Toonami accidentally used the Yamamoto score. And it was also airing in Brazil (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32054) with the Yamamoto score as recently as last year.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I remember watching the dub of Kai with the subs for the Japanese version (I do this with all anime when available to see how close the dubs get) & I distinctly remember it being in both the dub & sub.
It's not in the original. The scene you're referring to is a gag where Kaio is hopping around Goku asking him questions. The dub made up some crap about Kaio knowing "Instant Transmission," but the original says nothing about that.
Huh. Go figure.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:[spoiler]I have no problem with any of the recasts. Matter of fact, I prefer every one of them to the original FUNi dub. I much prefer Clinkenbeard for Gohan as I've never much cared for Nadolny. Not only that, Clinkenbeard's acting is far superior to Nadolny's, though some of that may have to do with the direction. I've heard the argument a few times that she just sounds too much like Luffy and that puts people off but I have difficulty understanding how that's a problem. It's the same voice actress, of course there are going to be similarities. Whenever I'm watching Ninja Turtles, I don't get frustrated that Donatello sounds too much like Yakko, so why that bothers people with Luffy and Gohan is beyond me.

The inconsistent attack names are frustrating, I'll admit. Just stick with one. I think they've decided to stick with the crummy old dub names at this point, which I'm not exactly thrilled about, but at least there will be consistency from this point onward.[/spoiler]
I agree with every single thing in here. I pretty much disliked every single one of the original dub voices and found the recasts to be infinitely better. Especially, Nadolny. That rasp was godawful at so many points. Heck, I'd say there should've been a lot more changes in the voices.

Seriously, who thought that it was a good idea to keep Schemmel as Kaioh? :crazy: And that's not even considering Kamesennin, Yajirobe, etc.
You agree with the few people here who said they liked some of the recasts & think there should've been MORE? A lot of the old voices fit & are definitely better acted than the original dub. There was no way they weren't going to keep them.
Last edited by Scsigs on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.