2017 is shaping up to be a mini-DB resurgence in the U.S

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

2017 is shaping up to be a mini-DB resurgence in the U.S

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:34 pm

EDIT: Guys, it's been confirmed. 2017 will be a tremendous year to be a DB fan for the U.S!!!

With the recent announcement of Funimation's license of Dragon Ball Super, I'm really thinking 2017 might be the year for Dragon Ball's resurgence outside Japan (or at least in U.S and Canada - besides places where DB Super is already licensed). I mean, think about it. Next year, we're getting (most likely getting, in some cases):

1. Funimation's (CONFIRMED) Dragon Ball Super English Dub Release

2. Funimation's (NOW CONFIRMED) Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters/Buu Saga English Dub Release

3. Bandai America's (CONFIRMED) Release of Dragon Ball Super Toys (In Retail Stores No Less)

4. Dragon Ball Super Vol. 1 (CONFIRMED Viz English-Language Manga) Releasing May 2, 2017

So far - These are the four things that are definitely coming next year. It's possible Kai's Buu Saga might premiere on Toonami in mid-late December, but it definitely won't see a Blu-ray/DVD release until 2017. Also, it's possible a new DB game will come out (either in the form of a collection of previously-released games OR a new game). But all in all, next year is the year of Dragon Ball Super's English Release - A fact cemented by three of my four points being focused on DB Super English releases (anime, manga, and toys). Also, Funimation's Kai was announced February 2010 and its Nicktoons premiere was announced March 2010. So, far all we know - Funimation might announce where Super is airing as soon as next month (especially since English voice of Beerus: Jason Douglas let it slip that they started production already in the summer)

So yeah, as a hardcore DB fan - Next year sounds like a mini-Dragon Ball resurgence. Japan got their DB resurgence with DB Super and Resurrection 'F' (I know we got it too, but not Super at the same time) in 2015 and now it seems like it's time for others to feel it too. It's also weird how so much of my favorite childhood stuff is making a comeback next year such as: Spider-Man with Spider-Man: Homecoming and Sonic with Sonic Mania/Project Sonic.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: 2017 is shaping up to be a mini-DB resurgence outside Japan, at least

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Yeah, I certainly agree that 2017 is shaping up to being on hell of year for Dragon Ball fans outside of Japan. I just hope that momentum continues from that point on and Toei doesn't drop the ball when it comes to supporting the fans in the West.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Still feels strange that after all these years Dragonball is back.

When Kai was announced I thought we would never get anything "new" ever again, because Kai was just spliced together DBZ footage rather than all newly animated. Sometimes its surreal to think we actually have a new Dragonball show airing week after week after all this time.

If you told people what we had now back in 2006-2007, people would have laughed and told you to wake up from delusional fantasy land.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:59 pm

precita wrote:Still feels strange that after all these years Dragonball is back.

When Kai was announced I thought we would never get anything "new" ever again, because Kai was just spliced together DBZ footage rather than all newly animated. Sometimes its surreal to think we actually have a new Dragonball show airing week after week after all this time.

If you told people what we had now back in 2006-2007, people would have laughed and told you to wake up from delusional fantasy land.
Well, back in 2006-2007 - I was barely starting to purchase the DVDs and was still in elementary school so yeah - Dragon Ball still felt recent enough on its own, especially since Funimation still hadn't yet released Wrath of the Dragon when I first got Fusion Reborn and A Hero's Legacy (my first two Dragon Ball DVD purchases).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Make no mistake, 2017 IS THE YEAR OF DRAGON BALL! Accept no substitutes!

...lol. But yeah. All this hype will make for an awesome year!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:17 pm

precita wrote: If you told people what we had now back in 2006-2007, people would have laughed and told you to wake up from delusional fantasy land.
I feel the same way. Hell, even in 2013 after Battle of Gods, the whole "new series" rumors were going around.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Still won't measure up to Dragon Ball in it's peak here during 1999-2002 (or 2003).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:28 pm

True, True, very true. I doubt it will reach those levels.

Buts its still going to be awesomesauce!!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Still won't measure up to Dragon Ball in it's peak here during 1999-2002 (or 2003).
It's a Japanese property entirely made for the Japanese in mind. It doesnt need to be popular here. Let it be a niche, sub-only+cheap dub release like almost all other anime. There's no need to adapt it for non-anime fans like FUNi did in 1999.

It would be nice if Nickolodeon or Cartoon Network aired it in primetime, considering the history. I share GWOtaku's opinions regarding this subject.

https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/794610795363635200 & even this: https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/794611456083902466

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:47 pm

I'm kind of amazed that the franchise has managed to print money to the extent that it has in the past three years. It previously had no real new content in nearly 20 years, bar some games and a handful of specials, and its production has been consistently half-assed.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:11 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Still won't measure up to Dragon Ball in it's peak here during 1999-2002 (or 2003).
It's a Japanese property entirely made for the Japanese in mind. It doesnt need to be popular here. Let it be a niche, sub-only+cheap dub release like almost all other anime. There's no need to adapt it for non-anime fans like FUNi did in 1999.

It would be nice if Nickolodeon or Cartoon Network aired it in primetime, considering the history. I share GWOtaku's opinions regarding this subject.

https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/794610795363635200 & even this: https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/794611456083902466
You want a replacement score? Nah, to be fair he only said "IF that's what it took for them to air it". I'm majorly against replacement scores.ESPECIALLY if its going to be aired to children. We need to learn children dont care for music replacements nowadays.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:45 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

You want a replacement score? Nah, to be fair he only said "IF that's what it took for them to air it". I'm majorly against replacement scores.ESPECIALLY if its going to be aired to children. We need to learn children dont care for music replacements nowadays.
I don't want a replacement score, but yes, as stated, if it's really that bad...there are certain folks who just want a typical subtitled home release...when this is a children's show. If they can air it to kids, I certainly would prefer that over a home release if it came to that.

It'd be nice if the plan for that alternate faithful dub for the series had gone through.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:17 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

It's primarily aimed for Japanese market sure but not entirely otherwise Toei wouldn't be so hard pressed in wanting a TV deal for international license, if what you say is true then the show would have been licensed and released a long ago. Resurrection "F" is proof that Toei are thinking of international more then just an after thought, the film rolled out pretty quickly internationally and had it's world premiere in the U.S. Also Kai was also what probably started Toei into thinking more about the international market as Final Chapters was originally only intended for them! So again the primarily focus maybe on Japan but far from the entirety.

Also what do you mean like most other anime? Sure they're niche but their dubs aren't cheap at all. Most releases are bilingual nowadays only the nichest of niche anime or shows that didn't stream well seem to be subbed only releases.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Guys, it's been confirmed. 2017 will be a tremendous year to be a DB fan!!!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:43 am

I'd argue while it may not be as big it will be genuinely better because we have superior dubs and cheaper home releases nowadays.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:54 am

mecha3000 wrote:EDIT: Guys, it's been confirmed. 2017 will be a tremendous year to be a DB fan!!!

With the recent announcement of Funimation's license of Dragon Ball Super, I'm really thinking 2017 might be the year for Dragon Ball's resurgence outside Japan (or at least in U.S and Canada - besides places where DB Super is already licensed). I mean, think about it. Next year, we're getting (most likely getting, in some cases):

1. Funimation's (CONFIRMED) Dragon Ball Super English Dub Release

2. Funimation's (NOW CONFIRMED) Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters/Buu Saga English Dub Release

3. Bandai America's (CONFIRMED) Release of Dragon Ball Super Toys (In Retail Stores No Less)

4. Dragon Ball Super Vol. 1 (CONFIRMED Viz English-Language Manga) Releasing May 2, 2017
Why are you only talking about the english speaking market here? I believe the many other markets world wide are important...

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:22 pm

sangofe wrote: Why are you only talking about the english speaking market here? I believe the many other markets world wide are important...
Yeah, I gotta agree with this. If the thread's gonna be titled "mini-resurgance outside Japan", it's only fair we discuss NUMEROUS places that it's resurging in. English speaking countries aren't the only ones. We got numerous new broadcasts of the franchise in other countries, new remasters airing on TV, and OVAs coming out in places where they haven't before. Late 2016 has contributed to this resurgence as well.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
sangofe wrote: Why are you only talking about the english speaking market here? I believe the many other markets world wide are important...
Yeah, I gotta agree with this. If the thread's gonna be titled "mini-resurgance outside Japan", it's only fair we discuss NUMEROUS places that it's resurging in. English speaking countries aren't the only ones. We got numerous new broadcasts of the franchise in other countries, new remasters airing on TV, and OVAs coming out in places where they haven't before. Late 2016 has contributed to this resurgence as well.
I too agree with this, pretty tired of people taking only English speaking market into consideration all the time..
Give some love to others too..

Still this thread is good and informative for me, so it ain't that bad :D
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
I too agree with this, pretty tired of people taking only English speaking market into consideration all the time..
Give some love to others too..

Still this thread is good and informative for me, so it ain't that bad :D
Yeah, but it really should include other countries than the US if you talk about "outside Japan".

mecha3000
Regular

Re: 2017 is shaping up to be a mini-DB resurgence in the U.S

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 pm

Guys, to be fair - I did mention "at least U.S and Canada" so I did acknowledge it wasn't for everyone. Also, I figured this thread might cause some controversy eventually with the "outside Japan" part - but I couldn't think of a way to describe the title without saying that because I knew some fans might be like, "You idiot, 2015 was the real DB renaissance because that's when we got Xenoverse, Resurrection 'F', and Super". So, I just said OUTSIDE JAPAN.

However, I do agree and understand that I shouldn't just acknowledge the English speaking places - so I'll change the title to better reflect what I'm talking about.