Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:34 pm

On the subject of the voices for the Kai dub, I've been hearing that Colleen Clinkenbeard will continue voicing 18 for the Kia dub of the Boo saga, while Meredith McCoy will voice her for the dub of Super. That seems like an odd inconsistency.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote:On the subject of the voices for the Kai dub, I've been hearing that Colleen Clinkenbeard will continue voicing 18 for the Kia dub of the Boo saga, while Meredith McCoy will voice her for the dub of Super. That seems like an odd inconsistency.
Yeah, I would've liked McCoy rerecording 18's earlier lines & recording the new dialogue for it more because I don't care for Clinkenbeard's voice for her.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Eh, I'm fine with either Clinkenbeard or McCoy.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:27 pm

DasMuse wrote:It seems to me Sean was just mimicking the voice Don Brown did for north kai in the ocean dub. They are pretty similar.
It's well known that the actors were hired to be mimics, but his Brown impression is terrible.
On the subject of the voices for the Kai dub, I've been hearing that Colleen Clinkenbeard will continue voicing 18 for the Kia dub of the Boo saga, while Meredith McCoy will voice her for the dub of Super. That seems like an odd inconsistency.
Well, not really as they are just keeping the same voice for every episode of Kai.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If we're REALLY going to get into the way voice actors sound, why not talk about some of the ones people have with the Japanese version?
Goku, Gohan, Goten, & most other people in their family are voiced by Masako Nozawa & she sounds like a woman when voicing every one of them. Same goes for Krillin & Yajirobe. Their voice actress still sounds like a woman. No matter how much they try to make them sound distinct, it still comes out sounding like woman doing them.
Hmm, I totally disagree. I can't say for you personally, but the people that hear a woman when they hear Goku & sons are usually the ones that haven't given the Japanese dub a chance and only watch in English. Nozawa makes them sound male, albeit high pitched. Another mistake sub-dislikers make is thinking her Goku, Gohan, Goten etc. voices all sound the same, which they totally don't. There's even a large difference between her kid and adult Goku voices (along with Saiyan Saga kid Gohan, Cell Saga Kid Gohan, and Boo Saga Gohan voices).

Anyway, the Kai Dub inconsistency that stands out to me, aside from the attack names, is in the episode when Goku gets the Senzu and heads to use the spaceship by Dr. Briefs. Yajirobe asks Roshi why Goku is so excited. In the original Japanese and Japanese Kai, Roshi explains that of course Goku wants to help his friends, but he's even more excited to go up against a new challenge. In the Kai English dub, he explains that Goku wants to help his friends above all else but he's almost as excited to go up against a new challenge. Call it nitpicking, but with all the work Funi seemed to put into making Goku's character accurate in Kai, that seems like a blatant step in the opposite direction.

Keep in mind, everything I've said here comes from a 90s kid that grew up loving the OG Funi dub, but I prefer Japanese DBZ dub and English Kai dub today.

EDIT: Erm, just realized I replied to a month-ish old post. Hope that's alright :shifty:

Agreed,Masako Nozawa doesn't make then sound like a woman but more like Adorable or manchild with a high pitched voice and dub fans need to know that there is a difference between High pitched voiced and sounding like a Woman and just because a voice is high Pitched does not mean it's womanly, I mean they should try listen to Genkai voice from yu yu hakusho, freeza from old FUNimation dub, enba from JoJo and then again listen to Japanese goku voice and see if it's womanly or not and it's funny how they think the Japanese voices of goku or even Kuririn are womanly when the dub has even more high pitched voices like Fat Boo or Freeza but they don't have complain against it and they should try watching DBGT in Japanese to see how different kid and adult goku sound like (I said DBGT because in it goku transfoms from kid to adult SSJ4 and it feels more natural to hear the same voice but with a change of tone and pitch as kid goku has a high pitched adorable kid voice but adult goku has a deeper raspy version of that voice still it feels like the same character unlike dub where kid goku has a raspy rough voice but all of a sudden a very deep badass voice but it doesn't even feels like the same character in dub) and I would recommend Scsigs to try watching it from Original Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z or even Dragon Ball GT in Japanese to really know the real show and increase the appreciation for the original work even if he prefers Dub more so that he can hear the Japanese VA in their Prime because in Japanese DB Kai there Voice Acting wasn't as good as Japanese DBZ due to Aging considerably as they were all of a suddenly called by Toei Animation in 2009 to Re-record lines in a Weekly show after they last voice acted in DBGT in 1997 so in that 12 year gap there voice changed a bit and initially there Voice Acting was quite Shaky in DB Kai but as they approached the end of DB Kai Final Chapters 2014,they seemed like again getting on track and getting used to their roles just Like 90's and as they started Recording lines for Dragon Ball Super they seemed like gotten back into the groove.

As far as Kai Dub is concerned, It sure is an Improvement over Old FUNimation DBZ Dub but still far inferior to Japanese DBZ and in the scene before goku is sacrificing himself against Cell,in Japanese Z and Kai goku says something like, "Tell your Mom that I am Sorry and I selfishly did whatever I wanted" (Which is really powerful because goku was infact Selfish and he actually admits it so it's kind of a Final Atonement for goku too) but in Kai English dub he said "you listen to your mom and keep hitting those books okay,tell her I am sorry but I won't make it home this time" and Again Kai dub shows it's inaccuracies with Goku's Character because it was the perfect chance for goku to redeem himself of all the selfish behaviour but again they just wanted to keep the consistency with the old dub and again portrayed goku like a hero and in Kai Dub he says he is sorry for not coming back not for his selfish deeds so it really wasn't as close to his character and I don't know why FUNimation made a dub change here specially when they had original script this time
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Again Kai dub shows it's inaccuracies with Goku's Character because it was the perfect chance for goku to redeem himself of all the selfish behaviour but again they just wanted to keep the consistency with the old dub and again portrayed goku like a hero and in Kai Dub he says he is sorry for not coming back not for his selfish deeds so it really wasn't as close to his character and I don't know why FUNimation made a dub change here specially when they had original script this time
But he IS a hero, certainly in this moment he is. Saying he's sorry doesn't redeem him for not being a good husband. While I understand this bit of dialog is inaccurate, it's not god awful.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm

ABED wrote:
Again Kai dub shows it's inaccuracies with Goku's Character because it was the perfect chance for goku to redeem himself of all the selfish behaviour but again they just wanted to keep the consistency with the old dub and again portrayed goku like a hero and in Kai Dub he says he is sorry for not coming back not for his selfish deeds so it really wasn't as close to his character and I don't know why FUNimation made a dub change here specially when they had original script this time
But he IS a hero, certainly in this moment he is. Saying he's sorry doesn't redeem him for not being a good husband. While I understand this bit of dialog is inaccurate, it's not god awful.
And even then I think I see what they were trying to do. They saw the point of the scene as "Goku is apologizing to his wife and saying goodbye to his son," so I kinda get where they're coming from. I wish it were more accurate, sure, but I don't see them as trying to maliciously change things, either. It was just a detail they didn't pick up on.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:29 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
ABED wrote:
And even then I think I see what they were trying to do. They saw the point of the scene as "Goku is apologizing to his wife and saying goodbye to his son," so I kinda get where they're coming from. I wish it were more accurate, sure, but I don't see them as trying to maliciously change things, either. It was just a detail they didn't pick up on.
It more seems an attempt to make Goku look more human, doesn't it? Not more heroic, but more of a regular person. Plus, it was probably an idea Schemmel came up with. He talked about how he suggested lines & makes corrections when recording Goku's voice before, so maybe he suggested it as a way to make Goku look more human. I mean, Goku already had a moment like that at the end of the Cell Saga where he wanted to stay dead because of the hypothesis that he might be why bad things always happen to Earth...even though some bring up that issue, but that's probably why they changed that line when it shows up in the first place.
Plus, the thought of Black killing Goten & Chichi in an alternate timeline after body switching with him leading him to a freak out then beating the shit out of him...Goku loves his family no matter if it's an incorrect scripting or not. If it's a minor dub change in Kai, unlike the original dub, it's keeping within his character. Never forget that.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Scsigs wrote: It more seems an attempt to make Goku look more human, doesn't it? Not more heroic, but more of a regular person.
More human? I'd have to disagree. If anything, the original line is the more human one. He's humbling himself down as a sympathetic husband in this final moment and trying to make one final apology before heading into oblivion. If you ask me, that's a truly human act to make. Especially considering that, for a majority of this arc, Goku seemed at his most "Saiyan" in my opinion.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:46 am

It was most likely Schemmel's idea. He's mentioned on a few occasions that he has occasional disagreements about the script and direction of Goku's character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:11 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: It more seems an attempt to make Goku look more human, doesn't it? Not more heroic, but more of a regular person.
More human? I'd have to disagree. If anything, the original line is the more human one. He's humbling himself down as a sympathetic husband in this final moment and trying to make one final apology before heading into oblivion. If you ask me, that's a truly human act to make. Especially considering that, for a majority of this arc, Goku seemed at his most "Saiyan" in my opinion.
Except it's just as human to be so focused on one thing at the expense of other things that should be important.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 am

ABED wrote: Except it's just as human to be so focused on one thing at the expense of other things that should be important.
Depends on what you consider "human", I guess. In any case, I see no reason for the line to have been changed. It's not a huge deal, not even close to a big one, but it's there and I'm not a fan of it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 am

Bansho64 wrote:
ABED wrote: Except it's just as human to be so focused on one thing at the expense of other things that should be important.
Depends on what you consider "human", I guess. In any case, I see no reason for the line to have been changed. It's not a huge deal, not even close to a big one, but it's there and I'm not a fan of it.
I agree about the line. I don't like the change, but of all the one's changed, that doesn't rank very high.

I consider human beings to be animals with free will and are capable of a wide range of behaviors from great love to great evil and everything in between.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:35 am

NitroEX wrote:It was most likely Schemmel's idea. He's mentioned on a few occasions that he has occasional disagreements about the script and direction of Goku's character.
Maybe, there can be good or bad from this. For example, Sean suggested the Son Goku line in the Freeza arc

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Just wanna gauge reaction to the first episode's dub of Super. Anyone else thinking Alexis Tipton's killing it, & is a worthy replacement for Laura Bailey, as Kid Trunks?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Scsigs wrote:Just wanna gauge reaction to the first episode's dub of Super. Anyone else thinking Alexis Tipton's killing it, & is a worthy replacement for Laura Bailey, as Kid Trunks?
She did a great Job.
If no one told me that they changed Trunks voice actor I wouldn't even have noticed a difference.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:16 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Just wanna gauge reaction to the first episode's dub of Super. Anyone else thinking Alexis Tipton's killing it, & is a worthy replacement for Laura Bailey, as Kid Trunks?
She did a great Job.
If no one told me that they changed Trunks voice actor I wouldn't even have noticed a difference.
(This is what I told someone else in another forum as well)

I felt like she was trying a little too hard at a few points to sound like a boy, but that could be fridge logic'd to Trunks just getting older, since he'd be what, 10, or 11? I recall someone noting a similar thing for 11 year old Gwen being voiced by Ashley Johnson, just like her 16-17 year old self, rather than her original actress in Ben 10: Omniverse.
My main concern was her not being able to match Bailey's tone, but she did really well. She'll probably grow into the voice more as she voices him more, but other than that, really good choice, Sabat.
I felt Chi Chi & Goten's voices were a bit hit or miss though. Edwards constantly fluctuated between her normal tone for Goten & a higher-pitched voice between lines & Chi Chi's actress sounded like she was just overcoming strep throat or something for a good portion of her dialogue. Hope they get better as the episodes come.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Wait, Laura Bailey isn't voicing Kid Trunks anymore? I hadn't even heard about this until now. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Bailey's mostly a Union actor these days, isn't she?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Wait, Laura Bailey isn't voicing Kid Trunks anymore? I hadn't even heard about this until now. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Bailey's mostly a Union actor these days, isn't she?
As far as I can tell, it's due to a scheduling conflict because she came back for the movies & Kai.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Aside from a few inconsistencies, I think the Kai dub is pretty good, even from what I've seen of The Final Chapters dub. Most of the recasts work with the exception of Liebrecht. I honestly wish Sabat had kept the role. Liebrecht just sounds annoying and too much of a wuss. It's a pity they didn't replace Kaio, Ox-King, Master Roshi, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, King Kai, Majin Buu and Chi-Chi though. A lot of you might be wondering why I didn't put Recoome as a character who needed to be recasted, think about it: If Sabat had used his Armstrong voice from FMA, then he could have done a lot better. He could be on par with David Kaye's portrayal.

Personally, I don't really mind Gohan sounding like Luffy. Colleen can act her ass off, even if she tends to sound grating at times.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.